“Excellent fresh seafood”

The Wreck of the Richard & Charlene
Ranked #48 of 331 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent fresh seafood”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Excellent fresh shrimp and fish..tasted like it was alive a couple of hours ago. We enjoyed our wait for a table on the shrimp boat dock/deck watching the sunset and drinking a beer. The restaurant itself is not anything fancy...paper plates and cups and no ac. But the food was fresh and delicious. Very local place/feel.

Anderson, SC
“Interesting experience, but I probably won't be back...”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was told that this was the best seafood in SC, and that even a 3 - 4 hour drive was well worth it. Unfortunately, this was not true for me.

I knew what to expect before going, which is a good thing - it could have been a real shock otherwise; I have no complaints about the atmosphere, "table cloth" and plates, or lack of air conditioning because I knew about them ahead of time.

However, I was disappointed with the service - our waitress left our drinks empty for much of the time we were there, and was slow to get orders (all you do is circle on the paper!). Now, she certainly may have had many other duties that I could not see, but she only had 3 tables in the dining area to care for.

As far as the food, the hush puppies were very well-done (i.e. blackened), the red rice was dry and needed to be mixed with the slaw to make it edible, the boiled peanuts were lukewarm and some were still hard (but since they were "free" I can't complain too much), and the hominy square was literally a cubic inch and lasted for all of one bite.

The food did get MUCH better from there, or I might have demanded my money back. The fried shrimp and fish were good, but the true stars were the scallops and oysters. I have never had fresher or better fried scallops/oysters, and if I were to return, I would just get a plate or two of them. The breading of the fried items was lighter than most other places, which is probably how "Calabash" food was originally meant to be.

As far as the value, I ended up paying $60 for two meals, a small tray of almost burned hushpuppies, and water to drink. I'm glad that I experienced it, but this one time is enough for me - for nearly $30 a plate, I would have many other choices in the area.

Anderson, South Carolina
“Not what I expected but the food was good.”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visited The Wreck with a friend. His son who had lived in the area recommended it to us. It was a little hard to find. There are no big signs and we weren't sure that we were at the right place. There is only room for about twenty vehicles in the parking lot. The greeter told us that we could park behind the fence. We were parked next to their dumpster.

We were escorted to a table in a large room which had no air conditioning. Fans moved the air but it was unpleasant. We were given the menu printed on one sheet of paper. A red marker was put on the table and we were told to circle what we wanted. The waitress took our order for drinks while we checked out the menu. I ordered grilled shrimp and scallops which came with red rice, a single hush puppy, slaw, and a fried hominy square. The cost was $22.95. My friend ordered a triple combination which was the same as mine but also had oysters. His cost was $24.95. Having your food grilled adds two dollars to the cost. A basket of boiled peanuts was served along with your beverage.

You can look up the menu on the internet before you go. Overall, I found the food to be tasty and the service good. I will go again once the weather cools down - maybe in October.

Hendersonville, North Carolina
“It's a gimmick.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The overall experience was ok but I gave it a poor rating because of the overall value. The wreck is as its name implies, an unkept hole in the wall typical fried seafood diner. The menu is standard except you circle what you want and hand it back to the waiter. The plates are paper and so are the drink cups. The average price is $18 for a meal ($20+ with drink) with average service. If it was priced at $12 a plate it would be an average rating. The view is not spectacular so I would stay in Charleston and not venture out to this place again.

• Visited May 2014
Charleston,SC
“Great place for Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

A wonderful place to have Sunday Brunch and enjoy the beautiful view of the shrimp boats on Shem Creek. Very good shrimp and grits. I would make a reservation. They also have a fun bar area on the creek for night time.

Visited April 2014