“Most awful place ever!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Was told by locals this was a "must do" and would happily wring their necks for wasting my time and money here. I would give this restaurant a ZERO review if possible. The food was greasy, extremely overpriced, small portions served by a snarky "you should be honored to be here" attitude. I've recieved better service at Dick's Lasr Resort in Myrtle Beach!!! It was absolutely the worst place I've ever been....and I'd eat at McDonald's before I'd eat here again.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Wreck is a fun, casual spot next to the harbor but we were shocked by how expensive a plate of fried shrimp or clams or scallops was (about $20). Everything is served on paper to soak up the grease. The hush puppies were particularly good and all our seafood was fine, but I wouldn't go back.

If you've never had boiled peanuts, you can sample them here because they bring every table a basket. We thought they were terrible but I guess the locals like them.

A friend of ours from Mt. Pleasant lives in walking distance and hasn't been to the Wreck in over 20 years. Now I know why.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been a fan of "The Wreck" for many years, I was first introduced by a local to this establishment several years ago and it has been one of our favorite "hole in the wall" restaurants when visiting Charleston.

During our most recent trip to Charleston, my wife and I arrived late on Friday night and ate at Bowen's Island. We were some of the last patrons to arrive, but they welcomed us with smiles on their faces. We arrived after 9:30, they closed at 10 but were happy to seat us anyway. We were not rushed to finish our meals, knowing it was late and passed closing time, we ate our meal and gladly thanked them for their hospitality.

Following a trip to Folly Beach on Saturday, we decided to drive all the way to Mt. Pleasant to dine at The Wreck. We were with another couple, local friends from John's Island, also big enough fans of The Wreck to drive out of their way to join us for dinner. All four adults arrived around 9:15 and as we walked up the steps, we were turned away by the owner. They advertised that they did not close until 9:30 on Saturday night, which we checked, before making plans to drive over.

The Owner or Manager, simply stated they were closed, removed the outdoor menu, turned us away and returned inside.

We have always enjoyed The Wreck, but it will be a cold night in Hell, before we return. We were extremely disappointed with the rudeness and audacity of the Owner/Manager to abruptly turn us away. We visited another local seafood restaurant after leaving the Wreck, we were greeted with true southern hospitality, enjoyed fresh local seafood, excellent service and great company all while dining dockside overlooking Shem Creek.

Richard and Charlene truly do have a "wreck" on their hands! So long...

1  Thank SCRMB
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Four of us ate here. Local host, my wife & me and another businessman. Very casual.

Food was excellent. Only complaint was portion size to price. My wife ordered grouper and got one piece approx 4 ounces for around $25. That was a ripoff. However all the food was good. I had shrimp and scallops which were worth returning for.

They started off with bowls of boiled peanuts which as a southerner for 40 years I'm afraid to say if never had before. They were amazing and their hush puppies and hominy were as good as any I've ever had.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Excellent fresh shrimp and fish..tasted like it was alive a couple of hours ago. We enjoyed our wait for a table on the shrimp boat dock/deck watching the sunset and drinking a beer. The restaurant itself is not anything fancy...paper plates and cups and no ac. But the food was fresh and delicious. Very local place/feel.