“Don't waste your time!!!!”
Review of Gullah Cuisine Lowcountry Rstr - CLOSED

Gullah Cuisine Lowcountry Rstr
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I came and not only was the service terrible but the food was terrible too! The buffett was overpriced for the VERY average food that was in it! I ordered from the menu and I waited for 2hrs to be served. I was very disappointed. Three thumbs down. Oh, and did I mention the service was the worst I have ever seen in my life!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped by on our way to Myrtle Beach hoping for some good southern cooking. The barbecue was not good and was served on two tiny little rolls. The collard greens were definitely not southern. The baked chicken was dry and the rice was nothing special. The corn bread was the only good part of the meal. We were very disappointed after rave reviews from AAA.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very good food for the price. Fried Chicken and Mac n Cheese were really good. A bit difficult to get into the parking lot depending on your direction. There is no buffet here. A lot of people think there is but it's been gone for awhile.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I ate here on our trip to Charleston.

Lets start, with the "bad", if you can call it that- the cornbread was lackluster- kind of dry and just not really impressed with it.

The good: I ordered the shrimp and grits and red rice with gravy. It was VERY GOOD. It was so good that I could've eaten 2 orders of this. It was very rich and flavorful. In the end, I just mixed everything together in the grits bowl- the shrimp, rice and gravy- almost heaven.

My wife had the BBQ pork sandwich, which she enjoyed very much also. I had a couple of bite and concurred. The pork was juicy, flavorful and tender. My wife also ordered the coconut cake, which she liked very much also.

I would definitely come here again to sample the rest of the menu.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been here several times over several years because natives rave about it -- I've always been underwhelmed. I only went back this time because 1) I'm visiting with a first-timer and 2) the Spoleto guide told my friend she HAD to come here. This was my WORST visit -- that the lunch buffet is gone was no problem for me because I'd decided to order off the menu for a change. Smothered chicken was the daily special -- I probably should have ordered it. Ms. Charlotte personally recommended a seafood dish -- I ordered she-crab soup and the Jonathon Green salad; my friend had the 3-item seafood combo. My soup arrived looking most unappetizing and unlike any I'd ever seen -- it was a thick paste that the spoon could have stood up in it. It looked like floured paste and tasted as bland. The hint of sherry that the menu promised was completely MIA. I only ate the crab meat in the bottom and even it was tasteless. The salad had only the teeny-tiniest sightings of tomato, cucumber, and red onion. I ordered a side of hushpuppies for $4 since no bread was provided -- these arrived hot but w-a-a-y before the rest of my meal, and was a smaller serving than the average complimentary bread. My friend's seafood combo arrived unevenly warm, despite that we had a long wait. She'd been told the portions were generous, and usually when waiters say this, it's true -- hers were unusually meager. She said the shrimp tasted like they'd been frozen. Her meal looked as tired and unappetizing as mine, but she was kind and said little as she ate in silence. I'm sure this will be the lowest point of her first visit to Ch'ston. Usually I'm at least tempted to try dessert, but I knew it was wiser to steer clear. Neither of us were pleased with our $15-$16 choices -- just downright disappointed.