“Really wonderful food”

Kanpai
Ranked #103 of 327 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Really wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

A local chef told us to try Kanpai and he was right, it was wonderful. Oyster special so good and very fresh, looked like the chef fussed over each individual oyster to make it as beautiful and tasty as he could. Service was just a little slow because of the fussing, but I'll take that any time when the food is so fresh and beautifully prepared. We'll be back.

• Visited February 2014

“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I attempted to eat dinner here. I had been there before. I made an open table reservation, got there 5 minutes early, and was seated. I had to give the drink order twice, had to wait 15 minutes for water and a small pour of turned wine in a dirty glass. I then sat at my table, which was in the middle of the place, in plain sight of everyone, for 15 more minutes, waiting for someone to come take my order. No one ever did. So we left and went elsewhere where they were interested in serving food.

We will never go back, which is unfortunate, because the chef has talent.

1 Thank Penn B
“Try it...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

When this place was mentioned as the place to take my visiting daughter for her favorite food (sushi) i thought I had heard wrong. A hole in the wall in and obscure strip mall. Just goes to show you, the food was very good. My daughter and husband were happy to be served a Japanese beer and I enjoyed the house sauvignon blanc while waiting for our food! The service is a bit off. There were 3 of us, and all 3 of us received our meals at different intervals (longish intervals even) - but we happily solved this by sharing! The extra special treat was the Pork and Kimchi roll. Crispy pork belly with mango slaw. You could not have blended Asian and southern in a better explosion. Not a fan of sushi, but I will be heading back for this dish!

• Visited December 2013
“Right on the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

You might overlook this place, in a small plaza, not much built up around it but Chef Sean Park does it right! I had the duck steamed bun and my husband had the pork steamed bun for an app and they were delicious. The pork was our favorite, it was a little less sweet than the duck. Next time I might just order a few of those as my meal!

I had the salmon blossom roll and it was great. Just a touch of spicy mayo on each piece, better than some other places that drench their sushi in mayo, gross. My husband had the Korean BBQ entree and it was so savory and full of flavor. He got a salad with his meal too, the dressing was tangy and delicious with black sesame seeds in it. Yum! Our waitress was very pleasant as well. Wasn't very busy on a Wednesday night, but maybe that'll be our new mid-week spot. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited November 2013