“15 year customer lost tonight”
Review of Oriental Garden

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have been frequenting this establishment for years- since I was a teenager. For the first time ever, I am mortified that I even gave them my service. I ordered my usual, the young lady who answered the phone was three same young woman who has been picking up the phone for the past 15 plus years. Well, for the first time ever, my order was incorrect. It is Valentine's day and they seemed busy (I also waited at the drive through window for 10 mins-the first time ever) so I spoke on the phone with a friend. The girl was pleasant but when I checked my order later at home, I called back to let her know that I was disappointed. I was not rude, because I have seen this person as a frequent customer for yearrrrs and never would disrespect her. But she didn't have respect for me. She argued that she knew she wrote it down right and "I've been doing this since I was a little girl". I told her that I didn't want to argue with her, but she had such an awful attitude. She is a very pretty girl on the outside, and normally on the inside, so maybe working at her parents restaurant on Valentine's Day is her reason for lashing out. I didn't raise my voice- she raised hers- I wish her all the best, but as I have heard they are plowing Oriental Garden down anyway. Hope this gives her the opportunity to get out and learn better people skills.

There are newer reviews for Oriental Garden

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Sushi is so good and you really can't beat the price of it. you can get three rolls and not break the bank. The spicy tuna roll is my favorite and the california is real good too!! Their ginger salad dressing is homemade and is lovely. Also, the seaweed salad is to die for if you are feeling adventurous!

Reviewed 2 March 2013

My boyfriend and I chose to visit Oriental Garden on Valentine's Day. Perhaps not the best time for a first visit, but I'd been hearing about this place for years and wanted to give it a shot. We ordered the beef katsu as an appetizer (fried and skewered beef), a few of their rolls, and chose toro and sea urchin nigiri as a special treat. As I state in the title, the evening ended up being something of a mixed experience. Our appetizer was pretty unpalatable. The breading was much heavier than the menu suggests and the beef inside was extremely tough and so pale in color that we actually weren't sure it was even beef at first. The sauce that came with it was also unappetizing and didn't help the fried beef at all. Our second course, the selection of rolls, was a different matter altogether. The rolls were the largest I've ever seen and were absolutely vibrant in flavor and color. The spicy tuna in particular lived up to its remarkable reputation. If you like eel, you'll go crazy over their eel roll. Really wonderful sushi. Unfortunately, we never got to try our nigiri. After finishing off the rolls and waiting ...and waiting for the nigiri to turn up, our waitress finally came to clear the roll platter and we reminded her about it. Turns out she had totally forgotten to tell us that the restaurant was out of urchin and toro. We were pretty bummed out, told her to give us a minute while we decided what to do, and when she returned she corrected herself again, saying that they actually DID have sea urchin if we still wanted it. By this point we were ready to go, so we ended the evening there. On one hand, the rolls themselves were very satisfying, and we definitely didn't leave hungry. On the other, I was really looking forward to the toro and urchin, and she should've notified us right away that they were out. I will say that, being Valentine's Day evening, the restaurant was packed and our waitress was otherwise just fine. I'm not sure the same mistake would've been made on a normal evening. Moral of the story - Go for the sushi, skip the beef, and make sure they have what you want!

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I have lived in mount pleasant for 3 years and driven by this place probably 150 times. I never stopped though because it didn't really catch my eye, and frankly it isn't a very well lit parking lot. Tonight on a whim, my buddy and I were driving by and happened to spot it. We decided to give it a shot. Best dinner either one of us has had in a while and we eat out all of the time. I had the tako su, Boston roll, Charleston roll. My friend had teriyaki salmon, miso, and a ginger salad. We sampled each others meals and couldn't stop raving about how great it was. The sushi was the freshest I have ever had, the teriyaki was just the right blend of sweet and sour, the octopus in the tako su was meaty and fresh, the miso was steaming hot, our server was great. Go here. You won't be disappointed. A little pricy, but hey you get what you pay for.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I have been eating at (OG) that is what we local call it for several years, I have to get my weekly craving for Sushi satisfied and only at The Oriental Garden. Sushi restaurants in Mount Pleasant come and go but our rock is the Oriental Garden!