“Fantastic!”

Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Granary features a locally sourced and seasonal menu that embodies the spirit of the Lowcountry and celebrates its abundant resources. Inspired by Executive Chef Brannon Florie's roots in the South Carolina farming community, The Granary strives to maintain a close relationship with local farms and farmers. All aspects of food preparation and butchery are performed in-house. The Charcuterie program is considered a highlight of the restaurant, requiring much time, love, and effort.
mt. pleasant, sc
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This marked our third trip to the Granary. We'd been once for lunch shortly after it opened and once for brunch not long after that. We finally made it in for a dinner meal and it was excellent.

My 17-year-old son, my husband and I were seated right away. After perusing the menu, we were initially disappointed by the price points. My son was reluctant to choose an entree that was over $20. We pointed him to the short rib entree ($22, i think). Dh chose the lamb bolognese small plate ($12) and I selected the farmer's plate ($15). We ordered the Brussels sprouts for sharing (we'd had them during out lunch visit and couldn't wait to try them again).

It took a little longer for our food to come that we are used to. However, once it did, everything was right on point! My son's short rib plate stole the show. The meat was fork-tender and tremendously flavorful. It came with scrumptious mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables. DH's Lamb bolognese was very tasty as well. Though it was a small plate, it was hearty enough for his meal. My farmers plate really hit the spot. Israeli couscous, assorted vegetables (brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, summer squash) and a lovely green salad shared the spotlight. There was also a curried carrot puree - if I was a curry fan, I'm sure I would have appreciated it more.

The brussels sprouts were heavenly and doubled as dessert (they are charred and sauced with ample syrup reduction).

Here's the thing: if a restaurant is going to charge fine-dining prices for their menu items, the food MUST match. I feel like even though the prices are high, the quality of the food is just has high.

Several people have commented on the noise and, yes, it is a noisy place. I think they could take steps to reduce the level somewhat. The place wasn't full, but there were a couple of boisterous groups. It wouldn't keep me from returning, though. I definitely want to dine there again and soon!

Mt Pleasant
“Started Out a Hot Spot, Falling Doooowwwnnn....!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were blown away the first time we ate here in March. Blown away. It was comparable to downtown spots, but much more convenient than having to go downtown! The staff was on point, helpful, all while running all over the bustling dining room/bar. We went back a couple of weeks ago, and it was a totally different experience. It was a Sat. night, and there were lots of empty tables. They sat us at the bar, but after watching the same servers walk past us for 20 minutes, we asked for service. The hostess said that we had to wait on the bartender to help us. What? That is not how it went the first time! We were asked by several servers on our first visit if we were "good" as they walked past. So we asked her if we could have a booth...she literally said "Oh! Yeh! Sure!" Um. Really? Get to the booth...wait 10 more minutes for a server. He was clueless. We ordered the charcuterie....after 40 minutes it showed up...shamefully with burnt (I mean BLACK) toast points. We slammed our drinks and left. Not going back again.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Service was incredibly slow. It took over three hours to have dinner without dessert and the restaurant wasn't even even close to full. Dinner was OK but nothing special. They made mistakes on our bill which were corrected when we pointed them out. We won't be back.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Great spot but bring ear plugs”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a really nice restaurant, visually pleasing, and the fact that it's set in an up scale shopping center does not detract from the overall experience..We enjoyed a nice dinner there with another couple, and the food was very good and not over priced. The menu is set up a little different from your standard restaurant menu, but once explained by our waiter, we were quickly up to speed. The do an excellent job with their in house charcuterie meats. If you are a fan of brussels sprouts, don't pass on a side of order of these beauties, truly a treat and I have never had anything like them.
And now the bad news...this is one of the loudest restaurants I have ever been in...the hard surfaced walls just bounce the sound around, and that was a problem for me...Would I go back?...probably, because the food was great.

• Visited June 2014
Lexington, South Carolina
“Taking a chance on a new restaurant pays off!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We tried this restaurant based on an ad in a local magazine and, boy, were we glad! We were seated at a community table next to a charming couple with whom we chatted throughout our time there. My selection was the Rancho Heuvos, and this was a delightful dish. Several textures in it, and all blended for a wonderful brunch selection. My husband got the standard breakfast offering which included great grits (didn't need anything added which is rare) and waffle wedges.

All ingredients are local, farm raised, and we loved the restaurant and their menu!

• Visited June 2014