“Wonderfully relaxing- a home away from home.”

The Cottages on Charleston Harbor
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I booked my cottage on the internet and was wary at first but the accomodations did not disappoint. In fact they exceeded expectations. The staff was welcoming and friendly but never instrusive- a must for a proper vacation. From the pillowtop bedding to the comfortably furnished family room, everything felt as if I were staying in my own personal vacation home not simply a hotel. The cottages are a wonderful blend of classic beach charm and modern convenience. The views and sounds of the harbor were incredible. It is still hard to believe a place could feel so private and be so close to all the attractions of Charleston. I would love to return for another stay. My only suggestion would be to advertise that there is a cottage available for handicapped travelers ( no steps up to the porch.)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Jill-WV

Reviewed 29 July 2009

There are 10 cottages with the harbor view; they have large palm trees, bamboo and lush greenery lining the walkway to the pool which has an exclusive air and serenity right out of the Great Gatsby. I have never experienced a more relaxing atmosphere in my life. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

1  Thank pc0tt0ntail
Reviewed 10 June 2009

In May of 2008, my family rented 5 cottages for my wife and I's wedding weekend. We have family in the Charleston area so we are familiar with all the lodging options downtown, on Mt. Pleasant, Sullivan's, Isle of Palms, Kiawah -- you name it.

The Belvidere is the best lodging option available in the Charleston area, and here's why. It has all the luxury of Charleston Place or The Sanctuary, but the Belvidere's cottages provide more space and privacy, have all the amenities with screened porches -- and the resort has a pool, private beach, and is conveniently located to downtown. There's no doubt it is the best-kept secret in the Charleston area. It's a gem. The views of the water are spectacular.

The cottages are elegant, cozy, spacious, and immaculately kept with hardwood floors, fireplaces, plush leather seating, four-poster beds, washers and dryers, beautifully decorated, fully-equipped kitchen, etc.

The other advantage of the resort is its location. It's tucked away on Patriot's Point, right over the Ravenel Bridge -- a quick drive from downtown. Every morning we walked the Ravenel Bridge, which is beautiful. The resort is convenient in the sense that it's very close to downtown, but it also is removed so it's quieter and private. All of the wedding activities were downtown, yet everyone agreed that staying at the resort was convenient for getting to the activities while having peace away from them.

I can't say enough good things about this resort. We plan on making a trip annually.

Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank UncloudyDay
Reviewed 8 April 2009

This place is outstanding! We got an incredible rate for an examplary setting!!!! I am very particular about where I stay and I must say that The Belvidere Resort exceeded our expectations in all areas. This place truly felt comfortable and the service was excellent by everyone we encountered from from desk to housekeeping. Plus, the coconut cake is scrumptious. The grounds were beautifully manicured . The clubhouse was lovely to visit each morning for breakfast out by the pool as we sat on the very comfortable patio furniture. The proximity to Historic Charleston is amazing...just a few short minutes from our cottage, over the bridge and into town! The cottage itself is tastfully decorated and spacious. We still talk about this place just about everyday, saying how much we sure miss the Belvidere. We highly recommend this place and we can't wait to go back.......once the rates are a value again!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank munchkingirl
Reviewed 20 May 2008

A great find - Belvidere Club & Resort is absolutely lovely!
We just returned from a two night stay at Belvidere and hated to leave! This resort is very classy, but small enough and laid back enough to be cozy.

The cottages are absolutely beautiful and overlook the Charleston harbor, with a view of Fort Sumter,the Sullivan Island light house and historic downtown. We found our cottage to be absolutely perfect for our stay. We could hardly tear ourselves away to go to the attractions.

Everything you find posted on their website is accurate. The amenties are top notch; flat screen tvs, dvds, games, books, etc. The kitchen is well stocked with dishes and cooking utensils. Everything is fresh and beautiful and well worth the cost.

The location was perfect for us, private but a short walk (minute or two) away from the marina, Patriot's Point and the water taxi that will take you over to the historic district. All of this was done with ease.

We took advantage of the bicycles provided at no extra charge and cycled around the area.

They serve a free continental breakfast (juice, coffee, croissants, etc.) in the club house each morning and other refreshments through the rest of the day. The pool there is small, but has a beautiful view.

If we come back to Charleston, this is where we will stay!

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank wen8jr
Reviewed 24 March 2008

My new husband and I just booked all nine cottages at the Belvidere Club and Resort for our wedding weekend in Charleston, SC. I don't think there would be enough room for me to comment on all the positives everyone had...roughly 50 people stayed throughout the grounds with our wedding party and family.
Do not let the word "cottage" fool you. This resort is a first class place. The cottages are of the utmost elegance and class and provide the same ammenities as a 5 + star hotel. We had groups staying together that didn't know each other all that well at first, and found the cottages to be very accommodating and allowed them some privacy, as they all have three bathrooms. The view from all the cottages provide a stunning view of Fort Sumter, the Harbour and downtown. They also provide dvds to enjoy if you are there for a relaxing weekend.
Take time to enjoy and utilize the Clubhouse. You will find a very pleasant concierge available to assist you with any questions you have. They also provide a continental breakfast and elegant pastries during the day. We used the Clubhouse for our rehearsal dinner, the setting cannot be beat! We also used it for our brunch on Sunday morning. The staff was amazing and we heard nothing but positive comments on the food catered by the Belvidere!!!
You will also find a nice sized pool and hot tub adjacent to the Clubhouse. It is more so for relaxing and is not busy very often.
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained.
Being the bride, I could have not asked for anything more out of this resort. Although, a bit pricey...YOU WILL NOT regret your decision to stay here.
My husband and I already have plans to go back and stay in one of the cottages for our one year anniversary!!

• Stayed: March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ktudor
Reviewed 6 February 2008

We were in Charleston for a special occasion & were able to have my parents join us. Rather than reserve 2 hotel rooms, we opted for the elegance & spaciousness of having our own 2 BR, 3 full bath cottage at the Belvidere Club & Resort, which is a Ginn property. I had previously signed up to be on their e-mail list, so was notified of special off-season rates.

Imagine views of Charleston Harbour from every room, seeing Fort Sumter in the distance, plush bedding, every imaginable amenity (one noteable exception - later for that) including a Bose sound system, individual thermostats in every room, flat screen TV's in both bedroom armoires as well as the great room, fully stocked kitchen with really great appliances - top of the line coffeemaker, waffle iron, etc., full screened in porch with patio furniture, hammock, beach chairs,etc.

We were in Cottage 5 (cottages 1-6 are beachfront). What we loved: immaculately clean accomodations, hardwood floors throughout, tiled bathrooms, little extras like books, CD's, & games available, being so close to Patriot's Point, great restaurants (we ate a second time at the awesome Mustard Seed & Boathouse at Breach Inlet), shopping (including grocery stores if you wished to cook in), close to historic district. What we were not able to take advantage of this visit: they have bikes available to take out, biking or walking the Cooper River Bridge, a lovely continental breakfast in the clubhouse & afternoon/evening wine (we had my dad who cooked breakfasts for us!), outdoor swimming pool & jacuzzi, the water shuttle from Charleston Harbour Marina (next door) to the historic district (we were told a cottage could have unlimited transportation back & forth for the duration of your stay for a minimal fee).

Areas for improvement:

1) The website listed frette robes as part of the room amenities, so we didn't pack robes. Our large master bathroom was quite cold in January & their were no robes in either closet. Spoke w/ concierge who said they were in the process of being replaced, so had been removed from the cottages. That is understandable, I just wish someone had thought to mention it to us (from when the reservation was made on the phone, to the confirmation being sent, to two different concierge calls prior to our arrival) so we could have brought our own.

2) My parents were surprised that the tile floor in their bathroom was caving in; when we mentioned it to the front desk, we were told that they were aware of it & that bathroom/kitchen rennovations were being planned for 2008 (our kitchen looked great as is!).

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple