“WOW! This place is simply STUNNING! Take your allergy medication!”
Review of Brookgreen Gardens

Brookgreen Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful 9,170-acre green park located 16 miles south of Myrtle Beach.
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Well, my husband and I have the unique problem of comparing every place we go to our home town of San Diego, CA. We hail from the home of the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Seaport Village and so many other amazing places.
We've never found another zoo that compares, and places like the Atlanta Botanical garden (we live in Atlanta now) are contenders to Balboa Park....but just don't quite measure up.

I didn't expect Brookgreen Gardens to knock Balboa Park and the Atlanta Botanical Gardens WAY out of the park! This place is simply stunning. The only advice I have for you is make sure you take your allergy medication!

First off, this is one of the less expensive attractions in Myrtle Beach. It's nothing like the other tourist traps in Myrtle Beach-it's not kitchy, it's not themed. It's a non-profit run park, which was my first draw. The tickets are $12 per adult, but here's a tip-there is a state park about 1/4 of a mile up the road from Brookgreen Gardens that we accidently turned into (actually, our GPS lead us there instead of Brookgreen Gardens). My husband asked the very nice park ranger for directions and he gave them to us-along with a coupon for $2 off admission to the park. So, our little minor detour saved us a few bucks. I can't complain about that!

You pay to get into the main park. The parking is included in your admission. There are a few smaller attractions within the park that are additional admission prices, individually.

Upon walking in, stop and get a map and some more visitor information at the visitor center. There are volunteers working here, and each one seems to passionately love the park and their job-they are more than happy to answer questions, give you valuable tips and more.

Keep in mind, this is a huge place. Wear comfy shoes and bring sun block.

So, we ventured in. Almost immediately you are greeted with amazing sculpture and some of the most stunning plays of water and florals and greenery that I've every experienced. Being a HUGE fan of the book "Secret Garden", this place just called out to me. There are gardens upon gardens woven into this park, at every turn you are peering into the gates and walkways of more gardens. It's so beautiful.
We went on a Sunday afternoon. There were lots of other people there but we never once felt crowded. The environment stays quiet and you can almost escape the busy tourist city outside it's walls.

The sculpture in this park is breathtaking. Each piece is more beautiful than the last. There really are no words.

There are a couple of small little places to eat inside if you get hungry. We stopped for some drinks and I had a yummy lemonade. We didn't eat, but the food looked very fresh and gourmet. Yumm...

The highlight of this place for me is the park's newest attraction, the butterfly house. I have an emotional attachment to butterflies, so I was super excited. It was $2 each for my husband and I. The ticket gives you and a small group of other viewers 30 minutes in the butterfly house. It's small, but jam packed with beautiful "flys". They are all native species, which I found interesting. The 2 docents who gave us our orientation were also volunteers and just as passionate as the visitor center workers. They gave us picture guides to each butterfly in the house and explained how they are birthed, what they eat and more. You can view pupae emerging from the cocoon in the back of the house. That was just amazing.

To say the least, this was my favorite outing in Myrtle Beach. It's a hidden gem, a great value, a relaxing outing. Visually stunning, a treat for all your senses. This should not be missed.

Oh, and side note: the bathrooms are super clean, there are vending machines full of organic snacks, the place is very child friendly and there is a small zoo that is part of the park! Check out my eagle picture!!! They were so close to us!

I've included a couple of my own photographs I took in the park. My camera is not great, but these pictures came out so beautifully. The butterflies are really the ones in the butterfly house!!!

DON'T Miss it!

5  Thank LeashATL
Write a ReviewReviews (3,155)
All reviews
in 108 reviews
"special events"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2011

Beautiful botanical and sculpture gardens. Had a delicious lunch at the restaurant. Bring your camera and a comfortable pair of walking shoes. There's a lot to see...

Reviewed 24 February 2011

Your ticket gets you seven days. Beautiful as soon as you turn in. I knew the place came recommended and had good reviews. I could never had imagined how amazing this place truly is. Full of sculptures, history, and wildlife. We were hoping to see alligators along the paths behind the wall, but no such luck. We had to take two days to see most of everything, but we really could have spent a few more days.

Reviewed 17 December 2010

My husband and I felt very lucky to have happened to visit the area during this event. WOW is all I can say! The gardens opened at 3:00 and we arrived at 4:00 with no traffic (beware, locals say you can wait up to an hour in line when you arrive in the evening!).

The weather was cool so I'm glad we had our winter coats (wish I would have brought gloves). We enjoyed seeing the gardens in the remaining daylight but once night fell, the gardens were magical! The children's garden was fanciful with it's multi-colored Chinese lanterns and luminaries! The reflecting pool was surrounded by a hundred or more white Chinese lanterns suspended above the walk way. It. Was. Stunning!

We enjoyed the entertainment happening in the various tents on the property. On the back deck of the Old Kitchen we we discovered two rocking chairs and enjoyed a cup of hot cocoa while watching dusk settle. It was so beautiful it was like being in a Hollywood movie! I can't imagine seeing the gardens any other way!

One suggestion. Instead of having dinner at the gardens in the tent with the catered food, visit one of the local (non-chain) restaurants. The candles event really hurts local restaurants stealing their Thursday - Sat. evening business for THREE weeks in a row right at Christmas! That's a REAL killer. This event could be a win-win for the entire community if they were a little more considerate of their neighbors.

5  Thank DHK017
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We went to the Gardens to see the lights and experience the whole experience. We had not been here before. It was a truly beautiful evening. You just walk around the gardens and see the many lights and hear the different entertainment that is provided in tents in various areas.
There are over 5,000 candles throughout the gardens. They are replaced daily by the volunteer staff. They also had a lot of electric lights strung around the garden in beautiful displays. They had candles floating around ponds. Really beautiful!

A word to the wise---dress warmly. It was not real cold the night we attended but they say it is usually very cold since it is wooded and near water.

This event is only open 7 times during the Christmas season. Plan on attending as it is well worth the $15 admission.
Only downside was the catered food was all fried and pretty average.

5  Thank MickeyD777