last year, we lodged this same complaint with the front desk at the beginning of our week. walking barefoot on the indoor floors caused our feet to become black on the bottom within just a few minutes. we personally mopped the floors and the problem remained. the front desk said that the indoor floors must be sealed with something black. this is disgusting, especially with small children (one of ours is still crawling and his clothing is now stained black).
i know the sheets are washed en masse, and they may not even get folded prior to landing on the beds. but when someone puts sheets on a bed, i couldn't imagine they would miss a marble-sized ball of gum just below the pillow. yet that's what i found when i pulled the comforter off the bed (it's hot in south carolina, no need for a comforter).
hard as rock. this, in conjunction with the dirty floors, makes me wish i had just saved my money and gone camping as that would have been just as clean/comfortable, and i would have not have expected anything different.
3) wifi access
despite paying extra for wifi access, i was unable to stay online for more than about 5 minutes at a time. after getting kicked off the vpn, i had to wait until the signal returned and then login to a web page again before starting back up the vpn. wifi was down for a day - server crash, these things do happen. the signal strength bounced between zero (no connection at all) to 13% according to my tools; moving between rooms did not seem to affect the signal strength at all; simply sitting on the couch would show the range between zero and 13%. i called the front desk and was told two things:
a) i could come to the front desk with my laptop for a better signal
b) they had no control, as a contractor handled the networking piece
A) i didn't pay for a week's worth of wifi to sit at the front desk
B) they have complete control - they pay the contractor. if they tell the contractor to fix the problem and the contractor does not, they simply stop paying the contractor. the contractor will eventually figure out how this works.
a maintenance worker paid me a visit later (our tv went out too) and said each building has a pair of access points installed. he wasn't sure where they were located, but they apparently either were not able to cover the entire building or were having problems of their own. the worker said he could bring by a spare access point, but never did. in the end, i turned off wifi and used my cell phone as a modem (14.4kbps) and had a reliable connection. the in-room wifi was a complete waste of my money.
the grounds were gorgeous. the pools were nice; the indoor heated pool was a big plus, as the outdoor pools were pretty cool at this time of year and the kids really wanted to swim. the provided towels were missing 3 out of the 4 days we swam, so don't bank on them being available for you.
huntington beach state park is wonderful. lots of wildlife, close enough for decent photographs. the beach is clean. well worth the low admission price; none of the headaches associated with the main beach (tons of people, expensive vendors, etc.) ... if you like nature and a quiet vacation, this is a great place to spend your time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Festiva's Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East is located in the heart of the South Carolina low country. This former fishing village is home to pristine beaches and a number of magnificent golf courses and is the "Seafood Capital of South Carolina."eweThe resort is nestled in an oasis of moss-covered oaks along the Intercostal Waterway, offering guests a retreat from the high-rise buildings and congestion of the Grand Strand yet all of the glitz and glamour of Myrtle Beach is just minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ellington At Wachesaw Plantation East Hotel Murrells Inlet
- Ellington Hotel Murrells Inlet
- Ellington Hotel At Wachesaw East