“Don't be turned off by the exterior”

Blue Elephant Thai Cuisine
Ranked #45 of 134 Restaurants in Murrells Inlet
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charleston, South Carolina
“Don't be turned off by the exterior”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Passed it many a time, just because I was not too sure anything good could come from a place so run-down on the outside. As they say "Don't judge a book by it's cover". Once inside it is a neat and tidy little place with cloth table covers and place setting more on the formal side.

Don't be in a rush, the owner/chef [Dr. Paul Byington] a retired psychologist takes his time and prepares each dish by hand with a lot of TLC. Had a single waiter servicing the entire restaurant, but it was not busy, only 3 tables and I believe a couple of carry-outs the entire time I was there.

This is a GEM in the heart of Restaurant Row inundated with Seafood places. A great little departure that bring some Eastern culture to the typical LowCountry seafood fare.

They are behind the times at the register... NO PLASTIC, so don't forget CASH or your CHECKBOOK! You have been warned. Come in with only a credit card, and you may be in for a long night with sleeves rolled up washing dishes to payoff your dinner (LOL).

The Kanom Jeab or steamed Thai Dumpling are delicious and obviously hand made, not the typical frozen stuff some places serve and the ginger sauce it come in is to-die for, so much so I devoured it after the dumplings were gone.

I opted not for the recommended Pad Thai w/ Green sauce that the waiter recommended but couldn't get by the chicken w/ cashes entree... so I have the Gai Pad Met Ma-Muang and asked it be ''medium heat'' on the spice chart it runs from mild, medium to hot and 4-peppers depicting authentic (I just can't imagine). The medium (and I was warned by the waiter) was a 3-alarm fire... in my book it was more like a VERY HOT than a medium. I just can't fathom what the Authentic Heat would be (fire extinguisher please). Anyway, my sinuses open, eyes welled up with tears, I pounded the H2O until the pain was gone and 30-minutes later the feeling returned to my lips.

Didn't hang for dessert, but the ladies at the next table were raving about the Mango with sticky rice (sounded like they were having a big-O). Will have to try that next time.

Prices were about 2 dollar more than what I would have liked to pay for each entree, but without a beverage and one appetizer and one entree I managed to keep it under $25.

Saleeby Score: Service 9/10. Food 9.5/10 (0.5 was taken off for being too darn hot for a 2-star rating). Value a 6/10.

• Visited March 2013

“Delightful change in dining experience”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I really love many of the local seafood restaurants in this area. Now I really love our local Thai restaurant . The food is so fresh, which is so good for my sensitive gut. We were treated as guests made to feel special and right at ease. Quiet place for friends to relax, enjoy each others company and some different type of food. we highly recommend Blue Elephant and will go back.

1 Thank Inletlady
“YAYYY!! NOW TAKING CREDIT CARDS!!!”
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

This has been my favorite restaurant in murrells inlet for years and the only complaint I ever had was the cash only rule. But don't worry now they have moved up with the times and are accepting visa and MasterCard now!!! Thank you Blue Elephant we will be seeing you so much more now!!! Don't believe the lady saying they don't. Went there this past weekend and swiped away my bill. Love this place. Love the loyal staff and love the doc's cooking. Keep this GEM alive in the inlet. Best thai food you'll have this side of Bangkok. Do your mouth a favor and eat here. Over look the outside!!! Just go in you'll be in awe when you leave.

Tip: Allow the doc some time, it will be well worth it.

2 Thank MI-businesman
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“NO credit cards”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We are locals and are well aware that Blue Elephant has not accepted credit cards. We were planning to eat there last evening and I pulled up the webpage to look at the menu. Across the page it says "We now accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express". We were delighted because we prefer to use our debit card. Drove there in pouring rain last evening and sign on door still says "no credit card". We asked as soon as we entered. The host told us that they will soon be accepting credit cards, but it hasn't been worked out yet. Why would they put that on their webpage? No wonder it was empty. We won't be riding up there to eat again! Don't believe anything you read on the webpage!

Visited January 2013
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“A Break from Seafood in the Inlet”
Reviewed 25 December 2012

When you want something different to eat in Murrells Inlet, try the Blue Elephant Thai.

We went there on a recent week night because we had always wanted to try it, and we had a coupon.
Business was really slow. It was us and one other table. When we entered, the host/waiter made sure that we were aware that they do not accept credit cards.

We shared an order of dumplings with ginger sauce, then two chicken stir fries. Food was excellent, as was service. The china on which the food is served is spectacular!

We recommend the Blue Elephant Thai.

Visited December 2012