Message from TripAdvisor:

“Reservation Desk Staff”

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
Ranked #155 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Would never stay here again. Paid a great amount of money unknowingly for a side street room. 45 minute check in by nice staff but they had to have someone specially make a room key because the room we were given was so antiquated and not used.Was told Engineering would be by to let us in and that a key would be there in 30 minutes. No one was at the room once we found it; and when I called to be let in, the hotel reservation woman berated us for not parking and hauling our own luggage in a timely fashion to get to the room as quickly as engineering had.Engineering was pleasant and told us that our keys would be there soon. 2 hours later we had to leave for a class and still no key. Called and they said once again, soon. Rudely. After our class we came again to a locked room.Called the same person who told us its standard that when you lose your key that YOU pick it up from the lobby. Reminded her nicely that we had never had a key to which she rudely told me that she knew she had talked with me already and that I needed to be patient. 5 hours after my check in, I got a key. Hotel is not worth the money. You can get oceanfront for the same price. And most of all. The hotel reservation female in charge of talking to customers is the main reason I wrote this. I think her name was Laura.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Nemawae H

Reviewed 21 May 2012

This place is horrible. The only reason it didnt get a terrible review is because the room has a nice view of the ocean.
Service desk people are clueless and dont care. For the money I paid for this place I expected alot more.
The property is older,, fine.. but it is not upkept on the inside. The rooms are like motel style, you enter from the outside. The refrigerator in our room leaked water on the floor. There were crumbs left from the previous person in the living area.
The pools, the water park was only open for 4 hours and it was not good weather so we didnt get to visit it, it is smaller than it looks online. We spent alot of time at the small indoor pool. It was crowded, used towels everywhere, I never once saw anyone come up and check the pool or pickup. We had black dirt on our towels and clothes which I couldnt figure out where it was coming from... It was from the floor of the indoor pool. It is a dark tile floor so you cant tell by looking at it, but it was filthy. I requested pool towels 2 times from the front desk and was told housekeeping doesnt do pool towels, we bring them from our room. WHAT? Why is there a rack that says towels and a trash can that says wet towels? These people do not want to provide service at all. My key stopped working twice and the front desk lady looked at me like what did I want her to do? She said the next time it stops working we will have to send up an engineer, OK. Overall, will never stay here again. It looks nice on the outside, they upkeep the landscaping and from the lobby you think it may be nice, but once you are in you see all they dont offer. Staff is rude and non existent to help you. Pool is not managed or kept up. Take your money and go to another hotel down the street.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Harbins2305
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My family and I travel to Myrtle Beach quite often and have stayed in a number of hotels/resorts/campgrounds etc. By far we were MOST unhappy with this one. In our first room (which was oceanfront, that we paid extra to have) the carpet was completely soaked. There were dirty shoe prints on the kitchen and bathroom floors which meant that someone HAD to have known there was a problem in the room. We were moved to another room which had a "view" of the ocean, not oceanfront as we had paid for, but the room was bigger and nicer so we decided to make the best of it. Then slowly but surely we started realizing that it was a crap-hole as well. The toilet took AT LEAST 30 minutes to fill back up after each flush and we had 4 people sharing 1 bathroom so that was a problem. The fridge was pouring (not dripping) water in the inside all over our food and we were told that "all fridges do that" and I am 35 years old and know full well that all refrigerators DO NOT do that. There were no sheets for the pull out sofa. The room smelled bad. EVERY SINGLE DISH in the suite was dirty. Not just a spot or 2 here and there, FOOD stuck to everything, utensils with food hanging off of them, had to wash everything before we could use any of it. Management sent housekeeping to our room for a VIP cleaning and let me tell you, there was nothing VIP about the cleaning. Not 1 dish was cleaned and there was hair from the people before us still all over the tables and bathroom counter tops. We called the front desk. We went to the front desk. All we got was an 'I'm sorry, but what do you expect us to do about it'. Let me list a few other things that were wrong. The suite was so hot. Air seemed to barely work and we woke up drenched it was so hot in the separate bedroom. Elevators squealed and made very unnerving noises. Housekeeping talked so loud outside that they could wake the dead. The water park that they boast about on all of their online sites was only open Fri, Sat and Sun for 4 hours each day (nowhere on the website did it mention this). And here's the kicker...we went to the outside pool/lazy river/kiddie pool area on Sunday to finally enjoy the amenities since Saturdays weather was bad and low and behold, there were dirty plastic wrappers of some sort, cigarette butts, debris and just dirty nastiness in the lazy river and kiddie pool and we went to the front desk and were told they would send maintenance to clean it and we sat there for an hour and a half and no one ever showed up to clean it. There were other parents as livid as I was out there. This resort simply DID NOT care. We will NEVER stay here again. EVER. They should treat their guests better than this.

Room Tip: Choose another resort!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank moodycrew
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

Indoor pool and hot tub areas were dirty and run down. The water park was only open on weekends. My wedding ring was stolen by housekeeper who just got out of jail a month before being hired there. Nice view of beach.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank travelinggi
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while we waited for the rest of our golf trip crew to arrive the next day. This place is big. We checked in at one part of the hotel and had to drive all the way around another hotel to get to our rooms building. The price we got from the hotel website was fantastic. We ended up in a room with 2 queen beds and 1 sofa bed. The room was nice enough and would consider staying here again. The only negative was the we couldn't get the wi-fi to work in our room and the woman at reception was no help in trying to rectify the situation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank rockland_ta
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at thye sand dunes resort in a three bedroom condo. Myself, wife and my 8 and 5 year old with my in-laws also. Hotel was very nice and room was great lots of room and a good price. We received free buffet breakfast coupons for oceans dunes next door and it was also excellent and service was great. Next off to the pools indoor pool warmand hot tubs nice. Outdoor pools and small water park water was freezing but not hotels fault early in the season. Beach area infront of hotel was clean and very nice. Also a added bonus for me was a gym a little older but to have a gym on site with equipment was great and opened at 6 am which was great. I would recommend this hotel and will be staying there next time in Myrtle Beach. 17th floor great view.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family stayed in room 808 on April 13 and 14. On Saturday, when the room service personnel entered to bring clean towels, they exited with my expensive bottle of cologne. My more valuable jewelry was in the safe. The cologne was on the dresser along with some costume jewelry. They left the costume jewelry and stole the cologne. I did not realize this until I dressed in the late afternoon. I reported it as soon as I dressed and went to the desk. When I checked out the next day, I inquired about compensation for this theft and was told that the housekeeping manager was not at work and that an internal investigation would have to occur. We will see if there is any follow-up. Also, there was no hot water when we needed to shower to attend a wedding on Saturday.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family