“Ok resort, could have been better, Blue Green needs to make some improvements.”

Bluegreen Vacations Harbour Lights, Ascend Resort Collection
Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2012 via mobile

1st Blue Green experience since we bought our time share two years ago.

It was an ok resort. Waited about an hour past our check in time to get our room and it still was not finished up when we walked in.

Not on the beach and the only attraction is the medieval times dinner show across the street which we really enjoyed. Did not enjoy the traffic each day going to the public beach.

Most of the attractions and shopping areas are closed down. Kind of a ghost town.

We debated on selling our B/C after our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Ownby1032

Reviewed 21 July 2012

The studio or hotel rooms are small. Literally, full size beds. Not queen! This is the first time I have ever slept on noticeably smaller beds in all of my traveling. That being said, the resort is very nice, the pools are great (even a fountain in the kiddie pool which was thrilling for my 2 year old), and fountains in the pool at the resort grill. You are around 15 minutes from the beach, but the atmosphere is very serene and the rooms and resort are upscale and offer plenty of extras (including furnished outdoor grills & grill kits in the resort picnic area and washer and dryers in all units). Some families may prefer to stay on the beach for convenience (parking at the beach cost us between $5-$10 per time since we were not staying there), but for the price Harbour Lights is a great value & if we had stayed on the beach for a comparable price I expect that the accommodations would have been far inferior to what we experienced staying with bluegreen. We stayed for 4 days and while you can get beach towels from the clubhouse across from bldg 13, housekeeping does not come make beds or replace towels during your stay bc the units have washer & dryers in them. The toiletries were nice (bath & body works) and as other reviewers noted, some buildings (ours included) did not have elevators. Overall I enjoyed the resort, but would probably choose to stay beachside if planning to visit the beach often!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank jadeafton06
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Our family of 12 stayed in 2-2 bedroom units at Harbor Lights July 9-14.For the past 6 years we have taken family vacations at Bluegreen Resorts and ALL of them have been great vacations.This one seemed just a little better than the others.Resort was very nice Grounds were very clean and Landscaped very nicely.Sidewalks everywhere even along the waterway which was very important to me being in a wheelchair.They have a fenced in grilling are with picnic tables near the waterway which is very nice.There is 2 outdoor pools,lazy river,indoor pool and 2 hot tubs.The club house has all kinds of activities including work out room.Our rooms were clean,spacious and comfortable.Check in and check out was quick and easy.Front desk gave us free day passes to state park which was ver nice.Park had the best beach and a very nice picnic shelter.This was our first trip to Myrtle Beach and the staff at Harbor lights made it a memorable one.We already have next year planned but 2014 may find us back at Harbor Lights.If you like the slower,quiet pace you will love it here.

Room Tip: The buildings are 3 floors and a couple of buildings do not have elevators so when you make reservat...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank goodpaperman
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Arrived at this hotel, had to climb up six flights of outside stairs in 100+ degree heat with luggage, no elevators!

Arrived in room had to take a cold shower, no hot water!

Room had
- used towels hanging in the bathroom, - unmade bed
- dirty kleenex outside on the patio table
- cereal and food on the floor in the kitchen.

We called the hotel desk and we had to wait an HOUR AND HALF for them to show up,

While they were there fixing the unmade bed a SPIDER ran from in between the sheets to under the pillows. We told them we had to move. Thankfully Lisa the wonderful from desk manager said to go to dinner and while we were gone they would move us into a new room.

We came back 2 HOURS later to our new room and only HALF of our stuff was there. When we went to our old room the other half of our belongings were still there untouched.

At MIDNIGHT an incredibly rude security guard (Gary) showed up with a refridgerator for the new room. Knowing we were waiting to get into the other room to get the rest of our belongings he refused to come let us in and was incredibly rude to my sick mom saying, "i'm 60 let me do my job." When he finally came to meet my dad and I, he continually said, "come back here, i'm talking to you" as i attempted to pack our belongings to transfer rooms. Something they were suppose to do 2 hours ago!

When i put our stuff in the front room he said, "do you expect me to help you," at which point i said "i would appreciate it since my dad is 72 i don't want him carrying them down 6 flights of stairs" at which point, again he stated, "well i'm 60."

When we finally got to the new room i was carrying some of the luggage in and the security guard was comming out and shut the door before i could reach for it and walked away. I'm standing there with arm fulls of luggage at 1:00am digging for my key because he decided to shut the door in my face.

I later learned, due to their rude demeanor my mom had decided to leave the new room when she was alone with them while they attempted to install the fridge at midnight and come meet me and my dad, even though she was feeling ill. She asked them where the old room was since it is such a big complex and they refused to tell her and she ended up wandering around the park in the middle of the night, sick.

We received calls for the next 3 days requesting we repeat our story several times. We even sat down with the guest services manager but have yet to hear a resolution. I have also heard that the wonderful front desk manager LISA has since put her resignation in due to the overwhelming incompetince of the resort.

Need I mention that even in the new room there was a cockroach in the shower and hair matted on the wall and floor in the guest bathroom?

I would think twice before staying here. Pretty decor with much promise, however, the paralleled rude staff and alarmingly dirty atmosphere ruin any hope for a good experience! Especially, since it is 15 minutes from any beach and for half the price you can find a hotel right on the ocean!! We changed hotels and had an amazing second half to our trip!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel on the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank JaneS84
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is a nice resort. Well maintained and nice accomodations. It's in a strange area, next to the closed down Hard Rock amusement park. It has a 2 nice pool areas and a small lazy river. If you don't mind having to drive about 15 minutes to get to the beach, I'd recommend it. It does sit on the intercoastal waterway do you do have some water to view.

Room Tip: Upper floors (2-3) have no elevator so pack light!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mitch D
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed here as part of our friends timeshare and had the best time! Our room was spacious and our view of the Intercoastal Waterway was amazing! I loved it! My only complaint was that our building (19) had no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor. Other than that a wonderful vacation!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Kdl2012
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My first reaction to Bluegreen's Harbour Lights upon checking in and coming to my room was, "This place is nice enough, but there's really nothing particularly special about it." Now, two days later, my appreciation is growing!

I thought I would dislike the location of Harbour Light - 6 miles or so from the beach in an out of the way spot set back off of a main drag, next to a closed down amusement park. However, the quiet of it - especially in light of all of the noise and constant distractions of most of the rest of Myrtle Beach - is really a plus!

Getting here was pretty easy (the worst traffic in town is always in those last five or six miles), and check in was a breeze. A savvy concierge tried the obligatory two times to get me to agree to an update, but let it go soon enough when she saw that my no meant no.

The surfaces and finishes in the unit are nothing out of the ordinary, but the unit's rooms are big!! I'm in the one bedroom side of the 2 BR lockoff, and it feels like I must have 1000 square feet. I especially like the very large bathroom, with a spacious walk in shower fueld by what must be a 100 gallon water tank.

The screened in porch is large, too, and great for morning coffee.

Speaking of morning coffee, the kitchen supplies and equipment aren't as nice as at a Wyndham, Sheraton, or a Marriott (I still haven't quite figured out the best way to work the coffee maker), but nothing is lacking. The fact that a spoon or a fork is mismatched with the rest of the silverware is not a problem I am concerned about.

I have also seen more effective overall management (cleaner exteriors, with more accessible perks like pool towels, etc.), but again, this place is peaceful and pleasant. A couple of tips - DO sit out by the intercoastal waterway watching the boats go by; DON'T go to the Knot's pool area without sunglasses because the glare off of the white pool deck can be blindingly bright.

So here's my final take - I am an owner who has actually contracted to sell my points contract here. This trip is making me wonder if perhaps I should be looking for another one.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo