“Very nice place to stay!”

Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach
Ranked #1 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This Hampton Inn is a great place to stay when visiting Myrtle Beach, SC. Broadway at the Beach offers visitors everything they need in close proximity to the hotel. The suites have plenty of room for families up to 6. The pools (indoor and outdoor) were in fantastic condition. Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville is right next door. Great idea for a little weekend getaway or an overnight visit in order to take in the night life.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Jason Y: Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! We appreciate your five star rating in every category, and for your comments regarding how impressed you were by the condition of our indoor and outdoor pools! Our Chief Engineer David and his team do a great job ensuring that these areas are pristine and ready for our guests to enjoy. Again, thank you for the feedback and for your reccommendation! I am sure other travelers will heed your suggestion to visit us for an overnight or long weekend, and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Michael

Write a ReviewReviews (1,045)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Not sure where to start.Stayed here for 7 nights in early August. I researched many hotels in the Myrtle Beach area and spent hours searching for the right hotel for our first holiday in some time. This was our first trip to Myrtle Beach. I always use trip advisor and other sites for reviews and info for making my planning decisions. Well it came down to 2 hotels in the area. One was on the beach, the Hilton and the other was this Hampton Inn a few miles away from the beach. Both were similarly priced. I chose the Hampton Inn because of the terrific reviews on trip advisor.

Monday.

We arrived at the hotel around 2 a.m after about a 16 hour drive. It was a Monday night. Had to wait a few minutes for someone to show up at the front desk. Check-in was quick and easy. The gentlemen was nice and professional. He confirmed our reservation and gave me our keys. I asked if he needed my license plate number for the parking permit. He said we didn't need one. But I asked again if he was sure and I stated that I was worried that I didn't want to get towed since that it was a private lot and and there were signs stating this. He then said that maybe he should give me a permit for our vehicle to put in our window since there was a problem with another guest a few weeks ago who's car lights were on all day and they didn't know who's it was because they didn't give out a permit. Went and parked the car and got our luggage and then went to bed. Noticed a tiny spider which was alive on one of our pillows. Not big deal. Found previous guests finger nail clippings beside bed and night stand. Housekeeping clean?

Tuesday.

Tuesday morning went for the free breakfast which starts at 6 am and goes until 10 am. Typical Hampton Inn breakfast. Some hot items like the eggs. Over our stay they changed the offerings everyday for type of eggs. I believe the first morning they had egg omelette's. Other offerings were scrambled eggs a few mornings and they had cold hard boiled eggs. Some biscuits and gravy one day. Polish sausage, Bacon and sausage meat. Waffles were great. A waffle machine broke down one morning but it was fixed by the next day and they added another machine for a total of 3 waffle machines so there was usually not too long of a wait for waffles. Other break fast offerings were milk, cereal, yogurt, hot oatmeal, fresh cut fruit, apples, banana's. Nice offering of 3 types of coffee. Tea's etc. Overall breakfast was not bad each morning. But the eggs were like a powdered kind? I stuck with the waffles. Bacon the one morning was very dry and thin as paper. The people working in the breakfast area were all very nice, professional, friendly and helpful. Another thing that I found a bit tacky is that they use foam plates and plastic utensils in the breakfast area. Other Hampton Inn's and hotels I've stayed at that offer the free breakfast have actual dishes. There was an older grey haired gentlemen who was working in the breakfast area. He was always refilling coffee canisters making sure there was plenty of fresh coffee. I also observed him asking for peoples dirty plates to clear for them. This man was a hard worker and deserves some recognition. I would score the breakfast employee's 5/5.

Our room was on the first floor. We were a little disappointed in the room. It was a bit dark and the view was of the parking lot. I believe Rm 101. King Study room. Found some bugs in our room. At around 12:30 am awoke to the sound of someone using a hair dryer in another room. The rooms walls at this hotel seem very thin. Our room's closet doors would not close properly and I think were out of the track/broken?

Wednesday.

Awakened at around 6:45 am by vacuuming noise in hallway outside of our room. This lasted a while. I went to go see who had been so inconsiderate. Really? vacuuming this early I thought? A older, shorter, dark haired lady was vacuuming the red carpets which were in the hallway and entrance way next to our room that led to the parking lot and to the pool area. I didn't say anything to her. I didn't want to make a big deal about it but this was not a good start to our vacation.

Had to pull and force or make sure our room door would closed when leaving. Otherwise it could be left open. I accidentally went for the door next to us and it started to open to my disbelief! I realized I was in front of the wrong room door and quickly pulled it closed. Maybe need to have maintenance check these door locks/latches.

We found the A/C units are pretty noisy and hard to fall asleep with them on at night so we turned them off before bed. Also after about the 2nd day the A/C units start to smell musty and then the whole room would smell musty. Maybe from the heat or humidity. But I didn't complain about it. I did mention it after though when I had to speak with the manager later for some issues that I felt had to be voiced.

Wi-Fi is spotty. When I brought it up with the manager (Jessica) during our meeting a few days
Later, she stated that they were in the process of switching service providers or something and to use the AT&T login.

That night at 3:30 am could here T.V from next room. Beds are not comfortable.

Thursday.

7:55 am vacuuming again. One of the two elevators broke. But was being fixed immediately. Talked to a guy who said he and some people got stuck for about 20 mins in the elevator. One thing I would like to say is that management of this hotel does try and get things fixed A.S.A.P. They are on a problem right away. Like a waffle iron that broke one morning. They had a guy come out the next morning to fix it. Same with the elevator.

Friday.

Found more bugs. One in the kitchen area that was dead. Another live one in the bathroom and one on the wall behind my chair as I was going to hang up my shirt on the back of the chair.I didn't want to make a big deal about it but went to front desk after breakfast and mentioned it the the gentlemen there and also showed him a picture. I guess the bugs are called "ear wigs". The gentlemen at front desk said that it was nothing to worry about. I just said that they had some sort of pincers and that I have a 9 month old. He offered to spray the room but I didn't feel it was safe for my child and declined his offer. He stated that they could spray the room and after a couple of hours when we got back it would be clear and o.k.

Manager Sandy called me within a few hours I believe Friday morning after I went to the front desk to show the gentlemen the bugs. She offered to switch rooms. After some thought we decided to change rooms even thought we had a lot of luggage and baby stuff to move as well as a crib. Sandy was really nice and told us to take our time, no rush. She called back after a few minutes and said that a maintenance person offered his help to help us move. I declined the offer but thought that was nice. Sandy moved us to room 301.

Upon entering the 3rd floor hallway we noticed that there was a industrial blower in the middle of the hallway blowing air down the hallway towards the elelvators's and stairwell area by our room. I thought maybe they may have just cleaned/washed the carpets? The hallway was humid. New room had dirty stained carpets but it was brighter and smelled fresh. All these King Study rooms are corner rooms and the ones we stayed in Rm 101 and Rm 301 both have a Ice machine room just outside our room. The ice machine room shares a wall with our room. I noticed that this new room 301 there was a loud annoying noise/hum whenever it seemed the ice machine would kick on and it would last sometimes about 2 mins sometimes less but it would do this intermittently sometimes every 30-45 mins or 1 hour. The noise was so bad that while I was sitting down on the couch I could feel the floor vibrate. I thought this was not going to be good but decided not to complain again and see how it would be during the night. Hopefully it would go away. To my dismay it didn't.

There were a lot of people partying in the parking lot. There was a family reunion of some sort. They had what looked like a tail gating party going on all day. A couple of trailers and a BBQ Pit trailer. Lots of drinking of alcohol. Etc.Thought I saw what was an employee that looked as if he was going to say something to them but then just walked right by them. Even though there are signs posted in the parking lots that say it is against South Carolina law to drink in parking lots. I called the front desk after a few hours of loud, obnoxious noise of people laughing and talking very loud out our window in the parking lot. Hanging out by the main doors. These people had no respect for other's staying at the hotel. Finally at 12:43 a.m I called guest services to complain about the noise. That there were large groups of people congregating at the 1st floor entrance. Being very loud. Having their own party. Gentlemen on the phone said that somebody already had been called to go down and confront these people about the noise. I asked the guest service guy on the phone that "wasn't it illegal to drink in a parking lot in South Carolina?" He said he didn't know or hear of that. He said its probably only for the hotels that have a bar on the beach etc. I said I thought I saw a sign somewhere that said it wasn't legal. Suffice to say the next morning I was parking my car and saw several signs in their own parking lot that stated this law. So management has dropped the ball on this aspect. Some employee's need better training. Also this is when I mentioned to the guest service gentlement that I have a loud humming noise I believed was coming from the ice machine and that if he could have maintenance come and take a look at it in the morning.

Finally after some time the group or party was done.I could constantly all night hear people running in the stair well next to our room. At around 1:50 am I awoke to a beeping noise. I thought it was my wife's phone alarm or something. But I got up and heard the noise coming from the parking lot. There was a silver minivan with the alarm going on and off every few minutes lasting for a few minutes. This whole thing lasted until 2:09 am. I called down to guest service again to notify them that there was a car alarm going off. I thought to myself there must be some drunk pranksters or something. Guest services said he would send someone to investigate. I saw a hotel employee with a flash light trying to check for a permit on the dash. I thought to myself, great what if they didn't give this guy a permit. How are they going to know who's minivan it is. But eventually the alarm went off. But went on again for a few more seconds at 3a.m but then off for good finally!!

Saturday.

Decided to go see manager. Went to front desk later in the afternoon and met with Jessica. I was not happy and wanted to let her know about my experiences. Jessica was very professional, nice and listened to all my concerns. She was writing everything down and was going to get some answers. She offered me a few things for the hassles we endured. She offered a dinner voucher or voucher(s). I declined. We just had dinner. She then offered some voucher's for future stays. I declined that as well since my wife dons't get anymore time off from work for a while now. I told her I wasn't complaining to get stuff for free. Just bring it to her attention. But she then went ahead and offeredto invoke something called the 100% Hampton Satisfaction guarantee which I had no idea existed. She wanted to comp us for 2 nights stay out of the 7 for our inconvenience. I didn't want to accept it but after some thought I accepted her offer because of the night previous we had no sleep with the late party people and car alarm etc. So I felt it was a good gesture on her part.

My wife went to bed around 10 pm Saturday for lack of sleep night before. And our child was out at 8 pm. I was up until 11:30 when I decided to go to bed after doing some research on the computer for the next days activities. When I went to go use the bathroom and flicked the light switch in in Rm 301. I was shocked and startled to death when I saw a huge, what I thought was a cock roach but later was told it's called a Palmetto bug which after some research is still a cockroach. Just a very large one. This huge bug was sitting on some towels we left on the floor. I went to smack him with my sandal and I stunned the bug a bit but then it quickly ran towards the leg of the bathroom vanity. I could see it hiding behind the leg. So I then went frantically towards the desk to grab my camera but couldn't find it so then I grabbed my phone to get a picture so I could show hotel staff. Just in case they thought I was crazy. I couldn't believe what I saw. I've never seen a bug this huge anywhere at any hotel, ever. I've been to many hotels over the years in all types of climates. Even in Florida, Caribbean and the Mediterranean. The only time I've ever seen these Palmetto bugs was about 25 years ago in Orlando and they were out on the sidewalk at night running around. I thought that I would take a video instead of a picture because this thing was fast. So I barely got the sucker on video but it was there. I decided to go to bed and barricade the outside of the bathroom door with towels so that I could call the manager the next morning and tell Jessica what I couldn't believe my bad luck. Also it was late and my baby and wife were sound asleep.

Sunday.

Went down to talk with Jessica at the front desk but she was off. Talked to Sandy instead at 10:15 am. Asked to speak with her in private somewhere as to not talk in front of other guests about what I experienced the other night. We went into the boardroom. I told Sandy "you won't believe my bad luck and what I found in my bathroom last night"." A huge cockroach". I was terrified and shocked and told her I got the thing on video just in case they wouldn't believe me. She saw the video and did see the "Palmetto bug" as she called it. I said this was unacceptable and that If I hadn't had prepaid for the whole week I would have left already. I also updated her on all the other issues that I discussed with Jessica the day previous.Sandy offered to have maintenance go and check our room for the bug in about an hour and try and find it after we left for a few hours. I asked if Sandy could have maintenance just spray the bathroom.

Got back to hotel later in the afternoon. Had a message on our room phone from Sandy at 12:19 pm. She said maintenance came up to our room but no spray for fear of baby in room. Sandy said she talked to the General manager and that we would be receiving a 2 night credit for the problems. Which I already knew about before the Palmetto bug situation happened when talking to Jessica the previous day.

I called the front desk and asked for Sandy. I wanted to know if they got the Palmetto bug or not. She didn't say anything about it on the message.

I talked to Sandy and she said that maintenance couldn't find it and that they didn't spray either for baby's sake. Sandy offered to move us again but I declined because it was too much of a hassle to move all our stuff especially with all the baby gear/stuff.

I was so upset that I decided to try and find the bug myself. I decided to look thoroughly under the bathroom vanity/cabinet. After a few minutes I found the bug hiding under the vanity in a crack/space in the leg. I quickly called down and asked for Sandy and told her to get maintenance up and that I found the pesky bug. She said someone would be up in a few minutes. I decided to take some pictures of the bug just in case it got away. A few mintues later a female maintenance worker shows up. I show her to the bathroom and show her the picture of the bug and where it was located. She couldn't find it or see it. I told her exactly where it was but she still couldn't find it. Then she called on the radio for backup. I asked her if she had something to poke at it. Maybe a screw driver. A minute or two later another male maintenance worker shows up. He had a screw driver. He tried to look but didn't find it either. I said give me the screw driver I know where it is. I'll do it myself. I then got the screwdriver and jabbed at the Palmetto bug and got it. It was still twitching when it fell to the table beneath the sink. I jumped back out of the way in fear that it would still be moving. Then the female maintenance worker got a small wash cloth and scooped up the bug and they left.

Found another earwig but in Rm 301 sunday night 11:30pm

We left Monday morning. I ended up booking a room in Charleston West Virginia at Holiday Inn and Suites instead of the Hampton Inn I was going to book. The Holiday Inn was much better. My review of this hotel is posted as well.

In the end I probably will not be visiting the Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach-Broadway @ The Beach anytime in the future. After all the great reviews I was really dissapointed in my stay. I'm usually not that picky but this stay ended up being a bit of a let down. I'm thankful for the 2 night credit but probably should of got more of a refund now considering the problems we had with our stay.

Staff and Handling of issues 5/5
Hotel Grounds 5/5
Ameneties 5/5 -free parking, breakfast o.k, close to everything. Internet o.k
Overall room cleanliness, House keeping 3/5 because of the bugs and other issues.
Overall Exerience 1/5 Noise, bugs, Party until late night, noisy ice machine, party people running in stairwell etc.

Room Tip: Don't book room 301 until they fix the faulty ice machine. It is so loud at times that you canno...
2  Thank CNDTRVLR
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest: Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to the Myrtle Beach area, and thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We would like to begin by further expressing our genuine apologies that the vacation you so carefully planned for your family fell short of your both your expectations, and the very high standards that we as a Hampton Inn Circle of Excellence Award winner hold ourselves to. Although we are pleased, and very much appreciate, your comments regarding your positive interactions with members of our management team and throughout the hotel, we do feel terribly that you encountered many issues that our not typical of our location, such as the presence of insects in your guest room, and outside disturbances from others staying within the property.

We would like to highlight one area of your review in which you stated that our management does make all attempts to try and get things fixed right away, and that when there was an opportunity we were on it immediately. I can assure you that this is how we operate, and that when we were informed by our overnight staff members of the issues you encountered during the Friday evening of your stay, we were concerned and contacted you on Saturday afternoon in your room hoping to discuss them with you in person. After this meeting we did address, and I believe correct, the disturbances you encountered the night before both from other guests and the ice machine, which has been repaired. At this time we did honor Hampton's 100% Satisfaction Guarantee which refunded two nights to the credit card you used for payment.

In regards to the insects that you unfortunately encountered during your visit, I would like to assure you, and all future and current guests, that we are extremely dedicated to providing those that visit us an environment that is safe, clean and comfortable. We work closely with a highly reputable pest control company, Steritech, that performs routine preventative treatments to keep all species of insect that are native to our area, and very prevalent in the summer months, where they belong- outside! We regret the stress and discomfort this aspect of your stay caused.

Again, we thank you for your feedback, and please know that we share in your disappointment, as we feel the positive reviews on our Trip Advisor page do accurately reflect what guests can expect when staying at the Hampton Inn Broadway at the Beach. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and is of the utmost importance to us. Our goal is to never allow a guest to leave our hotel with negative feelings towards their visit, and I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss your concerns with you regarding your stay.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife, 6-year-old son, and I stayed here for several days for our first trip to Myrtle Beach. Though we were not right on the beach, we felt like this was an ideal location. We enjoyed spending time walking around Broadway, and the beach was only about 5 minutes away. The included hot breakfast was great and convenient, and the staff was friendly and helpful. There is an indoor and an outdoor pool, and I (surprisingly) even made use of the fitness center. No complaints - I anticipate we will stay at this property again during future Myrtle trips.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest: Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! With the variety of lodging options available in Myrtle Beach, we are pleased that you selected our Hampton Inn, and that you had such an sucessful first vacation to our area! We agree that we are in an indeal location for taking advantage of two of our most popular points of interest- "Broadway at the Beach", and the shores of the beautiful Atlantic Ocean! We also appreciate your mention of the convenience of our indoor/outdoor pool areas and 24 hour fitness center- (we are proud that you even fit a work out in!)! Again, thank you for your feedback! Our friendly staff looks forward to welcoming you on your next visit to sunny SC!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is in one of the best locations!! Being right there at Broadway at the Beach makes everything so convenient. There are plenty of restaurants and shops all around. We always get a lake side room. At night, it is so pretty with all of the lights from the shops and restaurants. I like the convenience of having a microwave and fridge in the rooms.
The rooms are always very clean. The free breakfast could have been better. Not enough choices, even for a continental breakfast.
Although it is still summer and this is a great location, I still think it's a bit overpriced.
We will continue to come back. Excellent service

Room Tip: Lake side rooms have a great view at night.
1  Thank Missuuncleronnie
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest: Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! It is always nice to have you as our guest, and we appreciate your continued loyalty to our location! Some of my favorite reviews to read are written by those such as yourself who stay with us frequently, as they can attest to the consistent quality of our rooms and service, while also providing great tips to the travel community regarding the best room location- which is for many, lake view! Our location is truly unique, and our views are enjoyed by our guests year round. Again, thank you for feedback- we look forward to welcoming you next time!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great staff, great location! I travel mostly by myself for business, but this trip was for vacation with the family. All of the staff were very helpful and kind to my wife and two sons (ages 8 & 10). They were very polite and respectful to my children! The location is great because it's cheaper than being right on the beach, and is less than 5 mins drive to the beach. Parking at the beach is $1.50/ hour or $6.00 for the whole day. Definitely worth staying here! HIGHLY recommended!!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Elijah N

Dear Elijah N: Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor- we love your five star ratings in every category, and could not be more pleased that you were able to enjoy a relaxing vacation with the family after numerous solo business trips! We take great pride in the level of service we provide our guests, and it is our pleasure to extend this hospitality to visitors of all ages! We appreciate you mentioning how much our team's kindness towards your sons meant to you. Also, my response would not be complete without a shout out to you for sharing the city of Myrtle Beach's public parking rates for convenient beach access! This is so helpful to fellow travelers, as it is an inquiry we receive on a regular basis. Again, thank you for your feedback and reccommendation- until next time!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

You are definitely paying for the location if you choose to stay here. It is great to be able to walk to all the attractions, shops and restaurants at Broadway at the Beach. You can go to and from the hotel, pool and Broadway all day long. Very nice and convenient.

The downside to being right at the Broadway at the Beach is the lights and sounds. If you are a light sleeper or if you need a really dark room to sleep, be warned that during the summer the Broadway is pretty loud up until 11pm. In the rooms facing the Broadway it sounds similar to an adjoining room watching their television too loud.

As for the hotel itself, it was nice (nothing to rave about, but more importantly nothing to run screaming from). Our first room had been under construction and was not quite finished, so they moved us. Both rooms were well furnished and comfortable. The outdoor pool was nice, and got a lot of sun in the afternoon. The indoor pool was a bit cooler since it was summer and they weren't heating it, but there was a hot tub and sauna in the same room if you needed to warm up. The complementary breakfasts were all very good.

We will stay here again for the convenience of being at Broadway at the Beach if our vacation is geared toward the attractions here. If it is less centered around those attractions though, we will likely stay on the beach; there seemed to be less expensive places on the beach.

1  Thank BKnLK
MichaelMyrtleBeach, General Manager at Hampton Inn Myrtle Beach - Broadway At the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest: Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! We appreciate the thought and detail you put into your review, and are so pleased that you and your family enjoyed the convenience of our location, "On the House" breakfast each morning, and the fun to be had in our indoor and outdoor pool areas (with sauna and jacuzzi!). We are disappointed to hear, however, that you were not inpsired to rave about us after your visit! Average experiences are certainly not what we strive to provide our guests, and we would like to apologize that our maintenance department overlooked tape from a previously completed repair surrounding the window area in your inital guest room. This was certainly our oversight, and we did try to express our regret by upgrading you and your family to a whirlpool suite with a balcony overlooking Broadway at the Beach- we are glad to hear it was comfortable after you were settled in!

In regards to our friends at the "Pavilion Nostalgia Park", this was their first summer in operation with several new rides added. It has been a learning experience for all involved and we have been working closely with the park's owners to ensure that the volume of the rides in this area do not disturb our guests, because although we are in very close proximity, our guest's ability to rest peacefully is our number one priority.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for your feedback! Although there may be certain oceanfront locations at a lower cost, we hope that you will return to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Romantic getaway with a timeshare presentation. Loved staying at Broadway on the Beach! So many restaurants and activities! Walked to everything. Still close enough for short drive to beach. Very clean, great service. One of my favorite Hamptons I've ever visited.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest: Thank you so much for staying with us, and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! They say Virginia is for lovers, but we say Myrtle Beach is for lovers, and we are so pleased that you and your signifigant other had such an enjoyable visit to the area, and at our location! We are truly in a great area for couples, from the multitude of attractions and nightlife at Broadway at the Beach, to the close proximity of our beautiful shores! We hope that you will make this a tradition, and that you will come visit your new "favorite" Hampton Inn for many years to come! Again, thanks for the feedback- until next time!