“Nice place to stay, good location, good value, but . . .”

Sheraton Broadway Plantation Resort Villas
Ranked #13 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Sumter, South Carolina
“Nice place to stay, good location, good value, but . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

We managed to snag a one-bedroom suite with two queen beds for just over $100 per night. Except for some little annoyances which I'll mention later, it was good value and a nice stay. It is a huge resort with four-story buildings scattered about the grounds.
Check-in: The front desk staff was polite, pleasant, neatly uniformed and well trained. Took good care of us and gave us all the information we needed.
Grounds: Beautiful! Perfectly maintained, spotlessly clean, attractively landscaped. Pool area was also clean, neat and attractive. Unusually large, well-designed pool area with a big, inviting play area for kids. The ponds were clean and free of weeds and algae (how do they do it?). No complaints about anything at all.
Suite: Garish, clashing colors almost as bad as if they were chosen in the dark and slapped together with no guidance. Clean. Tidy. Well equipped. Much noise came through the door between the adjoining units. The water level in the toilet bowl was so high one almost needed to "hover" over it instead of sitting down. Strange! Shower door was falling off. Great shower head and good water pressure. Nice towels. Cheap soap. Here's the biggest gripe: flat sheet for bottom sheet on bed, came untucked immediately and wadded up in a bunch through the night. Mattresses were hard as floor, leading to sore hips by morning. Balcony was screened. A/C was on constantly whether needed or not. Two TVs. Suite would have held a family of six comfortably. Large spa tub with a mirror wall which made us wonder about two-way mirror and camera??? So we smiled and waved. Couch was hard and uncomfortable.
Summary: For Myrtle Beach, good value for our $$. Would stay again any time and definitely recommend it to others.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

This Resort is one of the nicest resort in Myrtle Beach. It is located close to shopping at Boradway on the Beach, and various our tourist trap type places so if you enjoy those things this is the perfect place. We went here on a family vaction with 8 adults and 2 young children. The resort is very family friendly and even includes a Kids pool with a pirate ship and many slides. We were there during one of the hottest weeks so since the pool was heated it was not refreshing until the evening. It is a short 2 minute drive to the beach and parking can be hard, however if you know were to go it is not a problem. (Don't go toward downtown where everyone else is) The staff was helpful when my 3 year old nephew locked us out of our one bedroom lock-off. The resort was quite and had many activities such as beach volleyball and putt-putt. Our room was very spacious and had a great jacuzzi tub. Overall this is a great place to stay with a family, if your seeking romance and seclusion, probably not the place for you!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Taylorsville, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

This stay was all right, but I'm a timeshare owner there. The last 2 times I've been there we had a dirty blood-stained comforter on one of the beds. There was a whole bag of microwave popcorn in the sofabed when we pulled it out to get it ready to use. The next time we stayed one of coffeee cups in the cabinet had been put up dirty, and one of the beds wasn't clean. Plus the noise from the upstairs was terrible and lasted through the night. I complained, and was given 500 points, which is worthless since I'm not a points owner and they are of no real value on a motel. Itg used to be such a nice place to stay but now all they want is your money.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank taylormaid03
SBP-Manager, Manager at Sheraton Broadway Plantation Resort Villas, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
On behalf of the Management team at Sheraton Broadway Plantation, we would like to thank you for your review on trip advisor. Our resort prides itself on providing great vacation experiences, although sometimes mistakes can occur. Rest assured, we will take the necessary measures to do an internal follow up with our staff to prevent issues such as you have mentioned, from occurring in the future.
Falls Church, Va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

The resort was clean and had all many amenities. A wonderful place for families with young kinds. The rooms were very clean, well equipped, and thoughtfully designed. As I said earlier the amenities were excellent - pools, hot tubs, water park, mini golf, basket ball, shuffle board, tennis, billiards and more. It was down the street from the beach but you still needed to drive. I wish it was on the water, but the size of the resort would make it impossible. The resort is huge but everything within the complex is walking distance to the other. There was a gated entrance with security which was nice. The resort was quiet and overall I slept quite well there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Nads82
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

We are owners at Vistana in Orlando and have also stayed at the Maui property. We were looking forward to trying the property in Myrtle Beach with our 11 yo daughter. We had a two bedroom villa in bldg 17. It was close to the only gas grill in the area, most of the others we found we charcoal. The room was fine, no problems, very clean. The carpets need to be updated and the furniture could stand to be a bit more modern, but all in all, nice. We had a view of the lake and could hear geese honking most mornings.

Check in and checkout were quick and painless. You do have to go to the "guest services" desk to get a welcome packet, this is a ruse to get you to the timeshare personel that will try to get you to make an appointment on the spot for an "owners update" for some free tickets to Dixie Stampede and some other show. I just got here, people, let me enjoy my vacation. The welcome packet consisted of coupons at many of the chain type, overpriced restaurants that overrun Myrtle Beach. I did not use one coupon, nothing in the packet was of value to me. I did not answer the phone the rest of the week but it rang often!

We used the kitchen and BBQ grills often. We brought some simple supplies like ziplocks of coffee, filters, equal, sugar, some empty zip locks for storing food, disposable containers, paper plates, napkins, etc. and got a lot accomplished for dinner considering I was not in my kitchen. Pasta mixes, rice mixes and mac and cheese with a vegetable and a gilled meat and a salad, pretty easy. We shopped at BiLow nearby and were astonished at the prices of meat and produce. Wow. NYC is supposed to be expensive but $1 for a lemon? We went to the Myrtle Market the next day and picked up some corn, peaches, green beans and some boiled peanuts, much cheaper than the store. The corn was the best corn I had ever had in my life!

The pool area was a lot of fun for us. We played pool and floated on the lazy river every single day in the evenings. The recurrent complaint about the depth of the pool (3 ft) is a valid one, I found it silly. There is a section of one the pools that is 4 ft, next to the lazy river. The indoor pool area was so overheated it felt like a sauna. We tried to play pool inside and found it unbearable. We did not play ping pong because the only ping pong table was in the same indoor pool area. The pool water is very warm, BTW.

The internet was a joke. In our villa, we could not stay connected for more than 30 seconds at a time. I was able to print stuff up at the business center, though. I gave up Facebook for the week, so did not spend time online, since I promised my family, lol.

I can compare the general maintenance of this property compared to Vistana and the Kaanapali properties and found the Broadway Plantation to be lacking somewhat. I observed many lights out along the property, around the pool, walkways, etc. No where close to the maintenance and appearance of the other two properties I have had the pleasure of visiting.

The reason for my poor review is in direct relation to the title of this review. On one of our visits to the to the pool, with us in the lazy river, we were robbed. I had taken my gold earrlings and slipped them in a half filled cigarette pack and left it one a table with our stuff before getting in the pool. Someone physically opened the pack,, shook the box and removed the earrings, then replaced the pack back on the table and also stole a pool towel. We were in the pool about 20 minutes. I reported it to the supervisor on duty the next day and was offered a moderately non sympathetic response. I know they are not responsible, but a little more effort would have been appropriate. I reported the incident again and filled out an incident report with no more success. After speaking with many residents and other owners, many were reporting similar thefts in the pool area. An owner mentioned that since they property started developing the adjacent area that there had been more thefts. It was easy to slip through the construction area. I mentioned the theft to one of the security guards and they told us that there are only 2 security guards for the whole property at any given time. They really need more of a security presense at the pool area, which I suggested to the front desk. The security guard told me that theft has been occuring more and more in the area. If theft is already present in the pool area, soon cars will be vandalized and rooms will be robbed, If Sheraton does nothing to correct this situation, it is just a matter of time...Truly a shame, because the location of this property is almost ideal, the rooms are very nice, the staff (for the most part) was just lovely and the property itself has a lot of potential. Loved the pool area. Loved Myrtle Beach in general, loved the pace and the people.

I would not buy at this property because of this problem. That and the lower grade of maintenance make my buying decision very very clear.

In relation to renting at the Broadway, you can rent a beach house right on the beach for less than you will pay a night at this resort. Word to the wise.

BTW, I scanned the activities for the week the resort offered, if anybody is interested...message me.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Illy1108
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

We stayed here with a family member who has a timeshare through Sheraton Broadway Plantation. There were 9 adults and three babies in three different units. My husband and I had our own one bedroom lock-off unit adjacent to my sister in laws bigger unit. We were in one of the newer buildings and the rooms were nice and very clean.

I only have a couple of complaints, first being that our unit smelled like cigarettes. The units are supposed to be non-smoking but clearly someone had smoked in there. We called housekeeping and they came with a can of spray that smelled like bubble gum. After they left I looked at the can and it was actually something you were supposed to set off and then not enter the room before airing it out. I wasn't too happy about now breathing in those chemicals in addition to the smoke smell. But I guess they get points for trying to address the problem.
Another thing I took issue with was the noise from the unit above. You could clearly hear whoever was up there walking around and opening and closing dresser drawers. As someone who enjoys the quiet I found this to be annoying.
But overall the resort is clean and the people were friendly. There were a lot of people at the pool but it didn't seem crowded. Neither me or my husband were pressured into attending a timeshare presentation but other family members with us did go to get free tickets. It ended up taking a lot of their time so I don't think it was worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

Overall, this is not a bad resort. Rooms in building 7 needs upgrading. Felt like I was at my grandmother's house in Florida during the Golden Girls era. This resort is close to everything around so that is a good part. The bad part is that the areta is very crowded since there is only 1 main pool and 2 kiddie pools.

Now, if you are an owner with Starwood, this is where the annoying part begins. The will give you free or reduce price tickets so you can attend their presentation on the pretenses of "reviewing your ownership benefits and going over the upgrades that's occurred in Starwood." After telling them numerous times at least 6x in total, the sales person would keep coming back to you telling you that they have a better offer and that they have never offered rates like this or given that away in history anymore. My sales rep even went as far as telling me "what's $150 a month? You live in NY and if I don't go out to eat 2x a month, I can make this payment!" Are you insane? After telling him no 6x, they tried one last approach to lock in your rates for 2 yrs for $119 a month until you can afford it and if I decide not to buy after 2 years, they can convert all the money to points I can use in a hotel. Yea, they pulled everything short or giving me his grandchild to try to make me buy a bigger unit such as my teenager is getting older and you will go on vacation more when's he's off to college, don't you want to lock in your rates now? I'm thinking to myself, don't you get it, when they go off to college, they wouldn't want to go on vacation with you anyways, so I won't need any additional space or weeks? Leave me alone when I tell you no!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family