“Nice building, service poor for a budget hotel, much less a "resort"”
Review of Oceans One Resort

Oceans One Resort
Ranked #34 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Medina, Ohio
“Nice building, service poor for a budget hotel, much less a "resort"”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Let's get this out of the way first -- if you are accustomed to excellent staff and service typical of most "resorts" (and most hotels, for that matter), Oceans One will disappoint. Other than the two nice ladies that checked us in, the staff was indifferent at best, berating at its worst.
On our first evening there (after a 14 hour drive with two small children) we were literally chewed out by the on-duty maintenance guy for temporarily leaving two diapers outside our door until we had a chance to get the kids to bed and find a dumpster. I have never been treated in that manner in the worst hotel I've stayed in, much less somewhere calling itself a "resort". There's no excuse whatsoever for treating a guest in this manner regardless of the situation and I think this is all the indication you need as to the customer focus of this establishment.
We also had the privilege of being in the room immediately next to the Housekeeping office, where on a daily basis the staff would gather in the hallway right outside our room. On one occasion, we walked through probably 10 staff members sitting on the floor outside our room eating their breakfast. Again, great indicator of customer focus.
Be well advised also (we weren't), that parking is located across busy 4 lane Ocean Blvd...and there is no crosswalk. It's a high-stakes game of Frogger. Because there is no way we were going to risk crossing with two young children, it necessitated dropping off and picking the family up each time (there is a pull-around next to the building), then parking the car (usually at the far end of the lot, of course).
The positives, we thought it was a very nice building. In spite of some of the other reviews, we thought it was clean and well maintained. The rooms are large and nicely appointed, though the dining room chairs in particular were showing some serious wear. We found the pool area very nice, though the facility-provided towels were usually gone by mid-morning, and they didn't look to be restocked during the day.
My final comment which I think sums up the lack of customer concern -- I wrote an email 2+ weeks ago outlining these issues -- especially the inexcusable treatment by the maintenance guy -- and have received no response. Anyone with a lick of customer service concern would have certainly responded within a couple days apologizing and assuring the customer that the one staff issue in particular was being addressed. No response.
My advice -- look to spend your money elsewhere, we certainly will next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank 19gk6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I made reservations here believing that a "resort" would have a parking garage. Their website does not specify this and I didn't read anything on tripadvisor other than it is across the street (most of the hotels having their parking situated that way). We have a classic convertible and no way would we leave it in unsecured parking. And the parking spaces are narrow as well. So that was the first bad experience. The check-in staff were as helpful as they could be and called their sister-property to ask if we could park there and were told no. Then I asked to see the room. It was a 1 bedroom king (type 11 - I think). While it was modernly furnished and clean, there was no room for 2 people to pass at the foot of the bed, no place to unpack your suitcases (no dresser) and if you (like we do) like to cook some meals in well forget any working space. The couch was practically in the kitchen area. And if you prefer a quieter place forget this area. It is right next to the amusement area and very noisy. We left. One very good thing, they did refund us our entire deposit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Oue family stayed in this hotel right before the labor day. Our stay was fantastic. Staff was very nice. Rooms were very clean. Some changes should be made, whci hwould make it better. Internet was somewhat slow. Some assistance should be provided helping people across the street as the parking lot is on the other of the street.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed 28 September 2010

This was our 1st stay at Oceans One. We loved having the extra space of an entire condo instead of just a mini-kitchen so common in MB. Our unit was on the south side with a great view of the Family Kingdom Amusement park as well as being ocean front.
It was nice being able to walk to the park as well as some restaurants.

The weather in April was a little iffy, but there's an indoor pool and hot tub that got a lot of use. Look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
fletcher nc
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I stayed at Oceans One last year in Sept 09 and loved it. The room was clean, staff visible and courteous and pools warms. This year totally different. 2 bedroom condo not as clean as needed, pools cold!!! and no staff around. I called on day after check in and told mgmt that pools were cold and told that heaters were off! I told mgmt that part of my vacation meant being able to get in pools and was told that heater would be turned on. Called back two days later and pools were still cold and was told that heaters had been turned on but pools were still cold. Told it would be checked out. Now I'm into half of my week here I feel completely ripped off and angry! I will not be back here and want a refund even tho that will not compensate for a week of wasted time off. Last year I would have said do it, it is great! This year, find a better place with attentive staff who pay attention. Why should guests have to tell managementt how to do their job? Our condo also was not stocked as it should be in kitchen and had to repeatedly ask for items needed to cook with. The mattresses in our unit was hard and not very comfortable. Please, don't advertise yourself as a luxury property when you don't even clean the units properly. Up your game or you will lose out, there are too many other great places to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank darqueen
Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Our first stay was in April of 2010 with my wife and kids and we LOVED IT! My brother and his wife recommended we stay here after their trip in 2009. We had a Type 12 with the 180 Degree view and it was AMAZING! My wife loved the view from our room and comfort of the entire condo. The kids didn't mind not having the master suite with the glass wall overlooking the ocean because they had two glass walls overlooking the city and more importantly the Family Kingdom amusement park across the street!

The hotel staff is extremely helpful and nice and the hotel is exactly as pictured. Even down to the flower on the table! We love the pools and the location which is right near Jet Ski rental and parasailing as well as an ocean front water park and the amusement park across the street.

Oceans One has really captivated what you as a visitor wants when visiting a beach resort....... Comfort, Cleanliness, Perfect Views, Location and at an affordable price when you compare it to what you get with other resorts. My wife and I are planning a winter trip back just because the view is so wonderful.

See you soon Oceans One!
The Pone Family - Wilson, North Carolina

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
NC
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We started out at one hotel and moved to this one b/c we have stayed here a couple of times before. It is awesome. We thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our trip. It is clean and my kids love the pools. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family