“HELL HOLE!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Twilight Surf Motel
Ranked #132 of 210 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
boston
“HELL HOLE!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

What a HELLHOLE! The Twilight Surf Motel manages to overcome its beautiful beachfront location in lovely Myrtle Beach to be an absolute DO NOT STAY.

I chose to stay there based on its location and it was all downhill from there. I was assaulted with the smell of cigarette butts when I entered the room. I went back to the front desk and asked if I could have a non-smoking room. I was told that they don't have them. That the owner/managers, R.A. and David Holmes lack the basic common sense to set aside a portion of their rooms for non smokers (this would cost $0) shows that they have no business being in the hospitality industry.

I returned to my smoky smelling room (it was late and I didn't want to find another place or find out what the Holmes have for a refund policy) and lay down. My room had a small refrigerator. The compressor was very loud and turned on every 5-10 minutes. This means that, in addition to the compressor being loud, there must have been a broken seal for the fridge to have to "kick on" so often. I did want to keep an item or 2 cool, so I left the fridge on.

The fridge noise made a nice complement to the running toilet (I kid you not). The toilet would run and run and run after being used, then stop...and then start running again! I fixed this, meaning I took the cover off of the tank and got elbows deep in toilet water.

Celebrating my "toilet victory" with an apple (after washing my arms up to the shoulders) I dropped my apple. It rolled under the bed to reveal the source of the cigarette smell - about a dozen cigarette butts lying on the floor under the bed. I cleaned this up, too.

When checking out I left a message at the front desk asking owner/managers, R.A. and David Holmes to call me to discuss my stay (they don't seem to have voice mail, e-mail, or their own phones, for that matter). I did not hear back after 24 hours so I left another message with the front desk. I did this a 3rd time after another day had passed. I never heard back.

In summary:
- dirty smelly room (check)
- poor maintenance (check)
- poor housekeeping (check)
- poor service (check)

I would recommend throwing $50 into the trash and sleeping in your car (near the ocean) over staying at the Twilight Surf Motel in Myrtle Beach, SC.

Stayed April 2008
4 Thank donfromboston

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)