“Wonderful Winter vacation Jan -Feb 2012”

We can't find prices for this hotel
South Wind On The Ocean
Ranked #79 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Each rental is individually owned as a second home for the owners. Not all units are rented as the owners live in them as their primary homes.The owners who do rent have the choice of how the units are maintained and cleaned. Our unit was on the 11th floor it had 3 bds and 3 baths it was clean and had newer furniture and mattress in master bedroom. The owners had recently had a deep cleaning preformed. The place looked and even smelled clean.
Very quiet building no chaos or loud late night partying as in local resorts. That is not to say we didnt have small parties, just not late into the night. Plenty of pool and a nice lazy river. We had a few good pool days even into late January.
So many places to golf at and plenty of restaurants. I have never written a review on trip advisor before but thought I would after reading the review mentioning bugs. We never saw a single bug here. Be sure to ask your rental agent if the unit is updated and clean to the luxury standard they bill you for. I will definately stay in this unit again.

Room Tip: all untis are ocean front!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank maggie1993093
Darby D, General Manager at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Thank you for the 5 STAR review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon. Sincerely, Darby Davis General Manager

Reviewed 11 February 2012

We had a 3br 3 ba, and our condo was infested with roaches. There was 3 roaches in the bathroom, crawling on the coffee table and several in the bedroom. The frontdesk and management was called; we were told someone would come spray in the morning. The manager wanted to DOWNGRADus to a sister property Beach Colony... Worst stay of our life!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank mwmoore33
RobDVMB, Manager at South Wind On The Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

I would like to begin by thanking you for staying at South Winds on the Ocean. I would also like to apologize for the incident that occurred during your stay. I have to say that I was a bit surprised by this because this has never been an issue at South Winds on the Ocean. This building has a monthly pest control contract with a very well known and respected pest control company. When I was notified of your situation I immediately sent someone to the room to spray for pests. We offered you other 3 bedroom units at South Winds but you did not want them because you wanted the unit with the extra restroom. At that point we offered the unit at Beach Colony because it had the number of bedrooms and bathrooms you requested. We have since had that room treated again by pest control and nothing was found to be in the unit. At South Winds on the Ocean we always strive to satisfy our guests and pride ourselves on the quality of service we provide. South Winds on the Ocean is a premier resort with impeccable accommodations and a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. I am sorry you were not satisfied with your accommodations and should you wish to return in the future please contact me directly. Thank you again for staying at South Winds on the Ocean. Robert Dowd (800) 411-1962 or rob.dowd@beachcolony.com

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed in a 5 bed/4 bath unit I rented through VRBO. The condo was exactly as appeared in the pictures. My only complaint was that the bathrooms were not as clean as expected. The back bathroom I stayed in looked like the showere had not been used in some time. I know the owner had the unit for sale (our trip was June 2011), so I'm not sure if that impacted the state of the unit. I always thought a unit for sale would want to show to its best... but any ways, my family takes things in stride and we just bought some cleaning supplies and took care of it ourselves. The balcony was very large and with 8 adults and 3 children we never were cramped in any part of the condo. The complex was quiet and never crazy crowded. We hung out more on the beach than at the pool. There could be difficulty finding a lounge chair if you didn't do the earlybird routine of throwing your towel on a chair to save it (I hate that). But it really thinned out as the day wore on. It seemed there was an equal mix of owners and renters present. I would certainly return to this unit. I love to stay in a nice condo on the beach and be able to pretend it is mine for the week!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank travelseeker

Reviewed 16 June 2011

I found our beautiful 3 bedroom condo on Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO) so I knew exactly what each room looked like before arriving and sure enough, it is tastefully decorated, the carpet only a year old, and the beds are all so comfy and plush. We also noticed that there are no bugs around here!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank shedybear

Reviewed 3 November 2010

The condo was great, with the exception of the kitchen smelling of wet dog when we got there, With a little bleach, febreeze and a candle, all was well! The washer and dryer are small, so plan for a lot of smal loads of laundry. We didn't see any staff that worked there, but we never had a reason to go to the lobby. The view was amazing and all of the pictures were just like the condo.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank anm91580

Reviewed 25 October 2010

South Wind on the ocean is in a great location and parking is a breeze compared to other hotels at Myrtle Beach. Overall the room was very nice, stainless steel applicances, granite countertops, and nice linens. However I would not stay here again because the beds are so hard and uncomfortable. I travel frequently and I have never experienced such uncomfortable beds. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo and all 4 beds were hard. In addition to the beds being unacceptable, it is misleading when they advertise internet access in all rooms. Yes you have access, but it is not wireless. If you choose to stay here, make sure you bring a cable for internet and memory foam/pillow top matress pad.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank ModifiedGirl

Darby Davis

Reviewed 27 September 2010

This was our first time staying at South Wind. We arrived thinking it would be an exceptionally nice condo given the prices and some of the photos we've seen. We were shocked that the unit looked like an low end hotel! The interior had NO decor, the walls were dirty and scuffed and the furniture (if you call the ONLY place to sit which was the sofa in the den "furniture")was completely worn out. The beds had comforters that were literally falling apart and didn't even have shams, they had the comforter pulled over 2 of the most worn out pillows you could imagine. The pillows were horrible and even smelled dirty! The carpet was worn out and the place just looked very much in need of some paint and deep cleaning.
We were very disappointed because we had wanted to stay here before and never could get a reservation when we tried. I'm telling you the condo is poorly laid out, very small and NOT a good deal for your money. We were supposed to stay 4 days and left the morning after we got there and just came home... It was THAT bad! Our trip was ruined!!
I advise people to read these reviews before staying. I don't know what standards most people have but mine are not unrealistic and I'm no snob but I do like quality if I pay for it and I definitely want a CLEAN and comfortable room no matter what!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family