“Disgusted!!!!!”

Ranked #64 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charleston, South Carolina
“Disgusted!!!!!”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have stayed here when the property was first opened and really enjoyed our stay. To my dismay made the mistake of a last minute visit for Thanksgiving, thinking it hadn't changed much. Wow!!! Was I wrong!!! This property was a disappointment as soon as we walked in the condo. Dirty carpet, dents in furniture, worn couch, we wanted to run then. But thought lets give it a try it was late and feared not to be able to secure a new hotel with our party so we would tough it out. That was until my husband pulled back the covers and I noticed the lining was awful and had a visitor before us.. BEDBUGS!!!!!!! UGH!!! I thank God we did not lay in this mess... I immediately called the front desk and told him we were checking out NOW!!! He didn't even seem surprise at all when I mentioned bedbugs as if it wasn't new to him. We received a refund and were on our way. I am and was very very disappointed with this property. Not at all what I imagined or remembered from our first visit. This property has gone down hill.. I'm DONE!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MinG29505
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Our entire management staff was very concerned to read this comment. We never want a guest to leave our resort so disappointed. We are very sorry you had this negative experience. Our staff knows if a guest is completely unhappy all consideration should be made if they want to cancel their reservation. I am happy you received quick service as you checked out. Our industry has experienced issues with bed bugs over the past few years. I am sure most guests have seen reports on the news about this problem. They are carried into a hotel by the traveling public and can be an issue anywhere. When a problem is discovered, we bring in professionals and spare no expense to elimintate the problem. I do believe that furture travelers can see from our past guest comments that the Horizon is a very nice resort, but in your case we failed and for that we are sorry. We do hope you will return to Myrtle Beach. Thank you for your comment and past business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I am happy my business partner Collins Brown III sent me the resort telephone number to make my reservation from Orlando Florida! I enjoyed my stay there. It was relaxing soul searching time for me. I was energize to say the least. The only one problem I have is that the mattress was too soft and hurts my back. I am used to Orthopedic bed. If you can factor that that for us guest that like hard rock mattress, it will serve us all fine and make for a repeat performance...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sonnite2
We are also grateful for the referral from your business partner. So many of our guests come from personal recommendations. I am also happy to see you had a restful stay. This is certainly a great time to travel to Myrtle Beach. I am sorry you did not find the bed as comfortable as you would have liked. We will certainly pass this recommendation along. Thank you again for visiting and please remember us as you make plans to visit Myrtle Beach in the future.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed here before, and were very pleased with our accommodations. Although we basically were pleased again this time, there were a couple of issues we found. One was that the carpets were extremely dirty and in front of the sofa bed the seams were coming apart. Speaking of the sofa bed, we had a hard time sitting on it to watch TV or just relax because the cushions were so worn that they kept falling into the frame. That's about the only negatives I can say. We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet, so we were able to get good nite's rests. The kitchen has all the conveniences of home and is fully equipped with everything you would need. They also have a stackable washer and dryer which we made use of so we wouldn't have a huge load of laundry when we got home. There is ample parking, and the girl who checked us in made the check in process pleasant and very easy. The area it is located in is a quiet residential area, and is easily in walking distance to quite a few nice restaurants, and a short drive to all the theaters and attractions. Even though we found problems with the carpet and sofabed, we will definitely come back again. The rates were great this time of year. You got a whole apartment for less than you would pay at a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luvdance46
Thank you so much for the many positive comments on your stay at Horizon. The condos are individually owned so we will certainly pass your comment on the sofa along to the homeowners and recommend they upgrade. We certainly want to continually upgrade the resort to keep guests like you returning year after year. Thank you again for your comments. We use all feedback to improve our guests experience.
Willoughby, Ohio
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Chose to stay here again because our last visit was very nice. Unfortunately that was not the case this time. We arrived and were given a room on the second floor even though the room was booked months in advance and a high floor was requested, but that wasn't a big deal until we went in the room. Upon entering the floor felt sticky, like it was cleaned with dirty water. We then went into the living room to find everything had smear marks all over it and the TV had dirty finger prints on it, not just marks but looked like a kid grabbed it with sticky food on their fingers. The last straw was the bedroom. I always pull off blankets and sheets to check for bedbugs. Didn't find bugs, but found hairs all over the sheets and under the pillows. Gross! They didn't change the sheets!
So we went down and I requested another room and was given another room promptly. I can say the girl at the desk seemed truly sorry and offered right away for me to check out a different room. I pulled down the sheets and saw no hairs and the room seemed cleaner, but later when we were going to bed my boyfriend picked up the pillow and there were 3 dark hairs under the pillow there too! Upon closer inspection there were a few more hairs in this bed as well. It was so late we checked the extra bedroom and found no hairs so we slept in there. I did call down the next morning and requested the sheets changed and they were and there were no hairs, but after finding 2 beds with hair, it makes me wonder if they change the sheets after every guest. Also the carpets are gross and worn. It was stained in a few places and you could see where it was separated from the wall and around the baseboards like they ripped it up or something. Not at all what I remembered from my last visit.
Other than this I found the hotel average. They don't have food onsite or an atm. You have to go to the sister property in front of the building if you want food. I will say that the kitchen is nice, so if you want to bring food or shop you can make your own meals and that will solve the problem of no restaurant onsite. They really just need to get the cleaning under control and if they did some updates the place could be nice again. So disappointing...Next time we visit Myrtle beach we will be trying somewhere else.

Room Tip: You do not want a room on the first floor unless you want people outside your room and noise as the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Crystal L
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
It was certainly an embarrassment seeing this comment. Housekeeping certainly was a disappointment based on your review. Since you have stayed with us in the past, you must know this is not our standard and I am embarassed this happen to you. When an issue is discovered, we certainly want to move that guest and take every corrective action possible. Thank you for your comments. Housekeeping will certainly see this comment and use it to see this does not happen again.
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have stayed there before and were happy with the hotel so we decided to come back. Got to the hotel at noon, but they let we check in with no problem. It really helped because my parents who are in 90 need a room to lay down after the trip. We had a 2 bedrooms, ocean view. The room is big, clean with full kitchen. We couldn't ask for more. Thank you so much. My parents love the hotel so much, so we plan to come back next month. Since you stayed in Horizon 77, you don't want to stay any where else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tofu2008
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
I am so happy to hear the Horizon was a hit for your family vacation, and especially happy to know your parents enjoyed themselves. I means so much knowing we make a difference and helped contribute to great memories. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for the great comment.
GREENWOOD
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The place was perfect for our honeymoon and got a good deal booked through hotel site would definitely go back had a ocean view room could ssee the ocean clearly the staff treated me good the room was ready when we got there would definitely go again

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank TERESA G
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Wow, you just made my day with such a great review. We love hearing we contributed to a great honeymoon! We appreicate you choosing The Horizon for such an important occasion. We hope you will return to celebrate you anniversaries year after year. Thank you for the great review and the opportunity of serving you.
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly! We have stayed there before and last year we decided to stay at another hotel, well we came back to the horizon this year because we have found them to be the best. It has a lot of things to do and is very close to the beach, When we had to call the front desk for anything they were right there with what we needed. The housekeeping staff did a great job for us as we needed things to be done while we were out, due to my nephews health issues he can not be in the room when it needs to be cleaned. They were happy to work with us. when we needed extra towels and pans they were right there to give them to us, not like another hotel when we asked for a pan we never even got it. when we needed housekeeping the other hotel never came. This hotel is fantastic and i would recommend it to anyone i know!! I am a very happy customer and will always go back there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank staci g
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Staci, it made my day to read your comments. It really means a lot to have a guest return and have such a positive experience at The Horizon. I will make sure our housekeeping staff reads this great comment. It will make them happy to see their service made a difference. Thank you for being a repeat guest at Horizon and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.