“Great Vacay,Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horizon at 77th

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Horizon at 77th
Ranked #68 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Great Vacay,Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Great view and excellent room. I enjoyed staying there. I wish they would have the rental box provided on each floor, I never got to rent a movie because the ones chosen were never in there. I wish it was two middle elevators with all the floors and traffic, they should have two more sets of elevators. Overall great place to stay, I felt like I was at home, provided a safe,secure environment. I slept like a baby, I normally have a hard time sleeping when I'm away from home at a hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you Shamea for choosing Horizon. I am pleased to see you felt so at home. That does make a big difference and we hope you will choose us everytime to travel to Myrtle Beach. On a busy summer day it would be great to always have a couple extra elevators. Horizon does have 4, but I do know they stay busy. Our free DVD movies has been such a big success this summer. We may have to look into having more than one machine for our next busy season. Thank you for this observation. Again, thank you for choosing us. Please return soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Pinewood, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The room was very nice and clean, the pool/spa was always off or broken, I booked with a resort that was to be upscale FAMILY oriented, I got loud people who cursed very badly, and clearly cannot read about no alcohol on or in pool area,other unruly children pushed and shoved the smaller children out of the pool. I called several times to talk with a manager, I was told by the front desk hotel staff someone would get back with me, I finally heard from someone on a Sunday night and my 5 night stay was up on Monday morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Johnnie M
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Horizon. The weekend you were here we did have 2 very large family reunions at the resort so I am sure there were lots of children and families all over the building. I am sorry you felt the resort is not family oriented. We do cater very heavily to families this time of year. For families that enjoy visiting a resort when there are fewer people, I would certainly suggest mid August forward. It is an amazing time of year. Again thank you for your comments. I am sorry you checked out feeling as you did.
Waldorf, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel itself is nice but for such a large resort they really do need to have more than 4 elevators divided into two at each end. There are so many floors and the one thing that was ever present was the loooonnnggg wait for an elevator. It seemed that once it arrived it was ALWAYS full. Imagine how frustrating that was when checking in/out and you need to fit all of your luggage in. We literally would have to wait 10 to 15 mins just to get a elevator hitch that had enough room and that usually was because we opted to take one headed in the wrong direction and ride in back. The resort is built on top of the parking garage, so that was rather odd.. you park and then have to take the elevator up to check in; so although there is a driveway that would seem to be the lobby entrance its really just another entrance into the garage elevator station. Vending is only available on the 2nd floor and left a lot to be desired.

BUT the rooms were spacious and you can't beat having a washer and dryer in the room. The pools are quite nice and the views are remarkable. One note:this resort is on the ocean side of the street but NOT ocean front. There are 2 or 3 buildings in between this one and the beach, in addition the resort is situated so that the rooms face sideways versus ocean front. So you won't ever have a direct balcony view of the ocean but it is still a very nice view, at least if you have a room on the poolside.

The walk to the beach isn't too bad I guess, just a block over but we opted to simply drive around the corner and park.. and parking is easy and ample from the location.

This hotel is located at the North end of the Grand Strand and quite a ways away from all the "happenings" so just keep that in mind. If you are looking for a more laid back, relaxed, less party atmosphere its a good choice.. but if you prefer to be closer to the night life and activity I'd keep searching.

All in all not a bad choice, just minor inconveniences.. small but enough that I would do a bit more research and see if I can find a better option before committing to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the poolside are nicer. The walls are thing so you can hear noises if people are in the ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I would like to point out the Horizon has just over 100 condos and there are 4 elevators. They are located on opposite ends of the hallways, so I do hope you were aware there were 2 more available. Horizon is located 500 feet from the sand so walking down the sidewalk it an easy stroll, but there is public parking if driving is best for you. Again, thank you for your review. I do hope you will return to our resort.
Sparks, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The Horizon is very nice. We enjoyed the resort and the room was great. My problem is the beach. Apparently, the lifeguards have a monopoly on where you can place a beach umbrella. We love to get on the beach early and stay until about 2 PM. We arrived at 8 AM to put our umbrellas and chairs out. We were behind the tide line but apparently we were in the area where the lifeguard sets up his 20 or so umbrellas. When he arrived he asked us to move our stuff because it is in his area. He said we can move it behind his umbrellas but we could not put it in front of his stuff. In order to get a prime spot, you have to move down below the lifeguards line of umbrellas which could be a long way. Not to mention one lifeguards line of umbrellas will link up to another and another and another. How can a lifeguard harass people to move their stuff. This was the topic by a lot of the tourists that we talked to. I think there is going to be a revolt before too long. What a pathetic thing for a resort area to allow. Ridiculous!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
I am happy to see you enjoyed Horizon and your stay. The city of Myrtle Beach does award vending privileges to specific life guard companies. I am not sure of the specifics on what they can demand from beach goers, but I am going to contact the city to find out. I have a feeling umbrellas are not allowed in front because it may make it difficult for them to have a clear view of the water. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our 4th time there and without fail, we had a great stay. We did have a problem the first night but Management took care of it the next day and gave us a night for free for the inconvience after that no problems. Our oceanview room was prefect and the staff extremely friendly. We went a week earlier this year due to our harass winter and to our amazement the weather was great, water warm and less crowded than the week before the 4th of July which we normally travel. My family and I love the horizon and can't wait until next year.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views and always upgrade for the Oceanview Room, worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank csias1153
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
It was really great reading your review and seeing how happy you were with the resort. Your recommendations really mean a great deal to us all. There are many choices in hotels in our city so when someone choosing us, we know we have an obligation to exceed their expectations. Thank you so much for choosing us and reviewing Horizon on Trip Advisor. We look forward to having you return. Thank you again
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a third visit there. It was great. The rooms were nice and spacious. I love that it is in such a quiet location. When we wanted to go to the boardwalk, it was a short drive. The kids loved the indoor and outdoor pools and the lazy river. We are planning another trip back in a few months.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Welcome back! Thank you for choosing us for the third time and sharing such a great review on Trip Advisor. Repeat guests mean so much and your recommendation means everything to us. We truly appreciate you and your kind words. We will look forward to seeing you again in a few months. Until then, we wish the very best to you and your family.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This was the first time in this hotel. It is not directly on the beach, but you don't have to cross any streets or drive anywhere to get to the beach access. The beach is a couple minutes away. Wayyyy closer than we expected, even after booking. The rooms are spacious and family friendly( we have a toddler). The ocean view is great! We had a 2 bedroom OV. The pools only go to 3- 3 1/2 feet, but I believe you can access the hotel beside this one for a bigger pool( not really sure). Great stay! It's in a quiet area of MB. I was pleasantly surprised and will definitely book with them again. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2014
It's always a pleasure reading such a positive comment from a new guest. We appreciate you choosing Horizon. It will be a pleasure welcoming you back soon and hopefully often. Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor visitors and for allowing us the privilege of serving you while in our city. Return soon.