“Fab stay in Myrtle beach”
Review of Horizon at 77th

Horizon at 77th
Ranked #55 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were in Myrtle Beach for my brother's wedding and stayed twice at the Horizon. First for a period of 5 days and then after a weeks trip to Orlando again for another couple of days. The accommodation was perfect, great for my son to have his own room and great views over the beach. My son especially liked the lazy river (as did I!). We spent lots of time out for pre and post wedding events and nothing was too much trouble for the staff on the reception. We even got to know most of the taxi drivers who spent a lot of time ferrying us around. We got a lovely welcome from reception on our return visit and my son really felt at home there. Great accommodation, great location and great staff. Wouldn't hesitate in returning. Thanks for a lovely stay!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank KHilton3
gmgrandeshores, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you KHilton and congratulation on your son's recent marriage. I am so happy to see you found Horizon to be a relaxing retreat between wedding events. Please wish you son best wishes for us. We look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for Horizon at 77th

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed in very nice 2 room condo that was clean and well appointed. Beds were very comfortable. They could have used an extra pillow or two since there were only 2 pillows per bed and none provided for the pull out sofa which we used for kids. Kitchen had nice utensils and supplies but cookware was stainless steel so if you're not used to using it, there's a learning curve. Ocean view was very nice and rather quiet and peaceful, especially for Myrtle Beach. Stand up shower in the 2nd bath was nice for adults, but the tub in the master bath was much better for kids. Balcony was great with nice furniture. The room overall was a 5. The indoor and outdoor pools were both very shallow- 3-3.5 feet at the deepest, so good for kids to play but not really appropriate for adults who would like to really swim. Beach access was nice and not a bad walk from resort. Overall would stay here again and would recommend-a nice stay for middle of summer!

1  Thank ncbunnie

I was pleased to see you enjoyed Horizon and greatly appreicate your comment on Trip Advisor. We know you have many hotel choices when planning your family vacation so thank you for choosing us. We do hope you will return soon and often.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Great view and excellent room. I enjoyed staying there. I wish they would have the rental box provided on each floor, I never got to rent a movie because the ones chosen were never in there. I wish it was two middle elevators with all the floors and traffic, they should have two more sets of elevators. Overall great place to stay, I felt like I was at home, provided a safe,secure environment. I slept like a baby, I normally have a hard time sleeping when I'm away from home at a hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you Shamea for choosing Horizon. I am pleased to see you felt so at home. That does make a big difference and we hope you will choose us everytime to travel to Myrtle Beach. On a busy summer day it would be great to always have a couple extra elevators. Horizon does have 4, but I do know they stay busy. Our free DVD movies has been such a big success this summer. We may have to look into having more than one machine for our next busy season. Thank you for this observation. Again, thank you for choosing us. Please return soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The room was very nice and clean, the pool/spa was always off or broken, I booked with a resort that was to be upscale FAMILY oriented, I got loud people who cursed very badly, and clearly cannot read about no alcohol on or in pool area,other unruly children pushed and shoved the smaller children out of the pool. I called several times to talk with a manager, I was told by the front desk hotel staff someone would get back with me, I finally heard from someone on a Sunday night and my 5 night stay was up on Monday morning.

4  Thank Johnnie M
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Horizon. The weekend you were here we did have 2 very large family reunions at the resort so I am sure there were lots of children and families all over the building. I am sorry you felt the resort is not family oriented. We do cater very heavily to families this time of year. For families that enjoy visiting a resort when there are fewer people, I would certainly suggest mid August forward. It is an amazing time of year. Again thank you for your comments. I am sorry you checked out feeling as you did.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel itself is nice but for such a large resort they really do need to have more than 4 elevators divided into two at each end. There are so many floors and the one thing that was ever present was the loooonnnggg wait for an elevator. It seemed that once it arrived it was ALWAYS full. Imagine how frustrating that was when checking in/out and you need to fit all of your luggage in. We literally would have to wait 10 to 15 mins just to get a elevator hitch that had enough room and that usually was because we opted to take one headed in the wrong direction and ride in back. The resort is built on top of the parking garage, so that was rather odd.. you park and then have to take the elevator up to check in; so although there is a driveway that would seem to be the lobby entrance its really just another entrance into the garage elevator station. Vending is only available on the 2nd floor and left a lot to be desired.

BUT the rooms were spacious and you can't beat having a washer and dryer in the room. The pools are quite nice and the views are remarkable. One note:this resort is on the ocean side of the street but NOT ocean front. There are 2 or 3 buildings in between this one and the beach, in addition the resort is situated so that the rooms face sideways versus ocean front. So you won't ever have a direct balcony view of the ocean but it is still a very nice view, at least if you have a room on the poolside.

The walk to the beach isn't too bad I guess, just a block over but we opted to simply drive around the corner and park.. and parking is easy and ample from the location.

This hotel is located at the North end of the Grand Strand and quite a ways away from all the "happenings" so just keep that in mind. If you are looking for a more laid back, relaxed, less party atmosphere its a good choice.. but if you prefer to be closer to the night life and activity I'd keep searching.

All in all not a bad choice, just minor inconveniences.. small but enough that I would do a bit more research and see if I can find a better option before committing to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the poolside are nicer. The walls are thing so you can hear noises if people are in the ha...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I would like to point out the Horizon has just over 100 condos and there are 4 elevators. They are located on opposite ends of the hallways, so I do hope you were aware there were 2 more available. Horizon is located 500 feet from the sand so walking down the sidewalk it an easy stroll, but there is public parking if driving is best for you. Again, thank you for your review. I do hope you will return to our resort.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The Horizon is very nice. We enjoyed the resort and the room was great. My problem is the beach. Apparently, the lifeguards have a monopoly on where you can place a beach umbrella. We love to get on the beach early and stay until about 2 PM. We arrived at 8 AM to put our umbrellas and chairs out. We were behind the tide line but apparently we were in the area where the lifeguard sets up his 20 or so umbrellas. When he arrived he asked us to move our stuff because it is in his area. He said we can move it behind his umbrellas but we could not put it in front of his stuff. In order to get a prime spot, you have to move down below the lifeguards line of umbrellas which could be a long way. Not to mention one lifeguards line of umbrellas will link up to another and another and another. How can a lifeguard harass people to move their stuff. This was the topic by a lot of the tourists that we talked to. I think there is going to be a revolt before too long. What a pathetic thing for a resort area to allow. Ridiculous!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

I am happy to see you enjoyed Horizon and your stay. The city of Myrtle Beach does award vending privileges to specific life guard companies. I am not sure of the specifics on what they can demand from beach goers, but I am going to contact the city to find out. I have a feeling umbrellas are not allowed in front because it may make it difficult for them to have a clear view of the water. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our 4th time there and without fail, we had a great stay. We did have a problem the first night but Management took care of it the next day and gave us a night for free for the inconvience after that no problems. Our oceanview room was prefect and the staff extremely friendly. We went a week earlier this year due to our harass winter and to our amazement the weather was great, water warm and less crowded than the week before the 4th of July which we normally travel. My family and I love the horizon and can't wait until next year.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views and always upgrade for the Oceanview Room, worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank csias1153
GMSeasideResorts, General Manager at Horizon at 77th, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

It was really great reading your review and seeing how happy you were with the resort. Your recommendations really mean a great deal to us all. There are many choices in hotels in our city so when someone choosing us, we know we have an obligation to exceed their expectations. Thank you so much for choosing us and reviewing Horizon on Trip Advisor. We look forward to having you return. Thank you again