“Much better than the reviews” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Driftwood at the Boardwalk

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Driftwood at the Boardwalk
Ranked #159 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
“Much better than the reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Ok we booked our vacation in June because the place looked nice and we loved the location. About 2 weeks before our trip i started reading these reviews and became very nervous about this choice. Upon arrival my girlfriend became very nervous because the place looked old from the outside. However once there we could not have been more pleased. The staff is all so friendly and nice and while this IS an older place and NOT perfect its NOT dirty, there is no cop drama in the parking lots and it does not smell, atleast out 2 rooms did not. We actually moved to a different room for our last night because we liked it so much we decided to stay an extra night. I will say that the middle building is the newer and nicest, there are 3 buildings that make up the driftwood property. Both rooms we stayed in were on the 1st floor which is good for me because i hate ANY elevators and love the fact you can go from your beach umbrella to your room in 3 or 4 minutes. Needless to say we will be staying here again. Dont read too much into all these negative reviews because honestly i think some people post negative things just for kicks and giggles. If you want a nice place to stay thats convienient to downtown Myrtle and with a nice helpful and friendly staff then the Driftwood is the place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank wvatthebeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

If location is all you care about this hotel had it but that is it. Hotel is run down. I see some sign of renovations, (roll of new rugs in the hallway, new AC boxes) I'm not sure whats happening with Driftwood, I think they are trying to renovate( buidling outside id painted) but the suites are awful, the rugs are nasty, the steps goin up to suites are scary I thought I would fall thru, the one elevator looks like the one from the Tower of Terror no joke. My run was run down, door kepted getting stuck had our neighbor from room next door help us get out when they heard us trying to get door open. Pane glass outside of room had a hole on the bottom corner (see pic), thought a mouse or water bug would come in the room. the slding door from our suite was heavy and hard to open. The hotel smelled like mold n mildew I would be afraind to stay more the 2 nites. Shower hot/cold indicator was on incorectly almost burnt myself. Maid service what is that, I think the people that work there don't care. The guy at the front desk was not too friendly or commodating. we checked in at 3:45 (because our room was not ready), and requested a later check out like noon and they refused. Pools were small, one had 6ft & 8 ft, why I dont nderstand no one is doing olympic diving people just want to go n a pool and chill. The only thing that worked wonderfully was the AC but I think that it was a new unit. Views from suites were nice, location is great right where all the action is, but the condition of the rooms would of kept me away. Never again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mariposa P

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Berlin, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We arrived at the hotel in torrential rain (only thing not their fault). NOTE to travelers - there is NO elevator or carts to bring your luggage, etc. up to your room - we were on the 3rd floor of the center building. There is only an elevator in ONE of the three buildings! Unbelievable! My husband and I are in our late 60's and early 70's and my husband had to carry our heavy luggage up three flights of stairs (the stairs by the way are ragged - outdoor carpeting is all ripped up). When my husband inquired why there wasn't an elevator for each building and said that he could have had a heart attack carrying the bags upstairs, the manager's comment was "Well, I could have a heart attack just standing here". The room was OLD and NOT taken care of - dirty bathroom with cracks in the tub and sink. Disgusting towels in the bathroom that were so worn, I wouldn't have wanted to use them at all. Because of the heavy rain, the rug area leading to the balcony (the door was all cracked and didn't seal completely) was saturated. The whole place smelled musty (and NOT because of the storm - this was an existing smell). My husband and I lasted about 30 minutes at this place and I enlisted my cousin, who is a travel agent, to find us another place. DO NOT go to this place! The management are rude, the place is old and not taken care of. Some reviewers said that this is "about average". This is NOT about average....just terrible. The place we moved to "Grande Shores" on 77th Avenue IS what a hotel is supposed to be like. AND, the kicker is - - the Grande Shores was $20 per night CHEAPER and it was top of the line all the way! My advice to the owners of this place....hire new managers, close the place down and refurbish it. Then you might have a place where people will want to go over and over again. The only plus about this place is their location - right in the middle of everything.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carol D
High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I are staying at the Driftwood this weekend and so far have been pleased. I was very concerned due to the awful reviews but its really not bad. It's old, yes and the outside is sketch. Luckily we didn't have to ride the elevators because we were on the first floor. We had the Boulevard Suite, which was the absolute perfect layout for our family. Our two year old will not go to sleep if he is in the same room with us because he wants to stay up and play and this suite had a smaller room for him that locked from our side so he got his own room. There was also an area in front of the bathroom that was perfect for the cosleeper where our daughter slept.

The furniture was nice and looked brand new. The kitchen and bathrooms are dated but clean. The carpet sucked because it was old and had some stains but it wasn't terrible. There is some noise from the streets but that is to be expected in this part of town. The AC units looked brand new. The location is great and we could walk to the beach and boardwalk.

Service was not great but again not awful. No one was rude just not overly friendly. Overall I was happy with our choice. If you have a lot of money and are used to Holiday Inn, Westin, Mariott, etc. skip this place. If you are a middle class family who doesn't have a bunch of money but you still want a nice vacation, I would recommend. It suited its purpose and was not bad. Oh and haven't seen one bug yet...

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Bwallace87
Dover, Delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We booked this hotel on the internet and it looked nice online. Dates of 5/23/13 to 5/29/13. The pictures were nice. Price was good for that time of the year. However, when we arrived and checked in, the room was smaller than expected. It was a room with a king bed, kitchenette with full size refrigerator, table and chairs, television and bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room clean. Just old fashioned looking. We were overlooking "Ocean Blvd" which is the main road in and out of Myrtle Beach. Behind the bldg. was the ocean with a large beach. The bathroom was small and the toilet was operable but very stained and moldy looking. Our first night proved to be a disaster because there was an event called "black bike week" and there were hundreds of these bikes (very noisy) all night long! We had no sleep all night because of the noise and the noise from the hotel rooms themselves with large parties with very loud music ! I saw there were signs on the inside of the elevators when we went to our room that said No Loud Music or Noise after 10pm! This obviously was not being observed. I called the front desk many times, every night, and they sent a "security guard" to assess the situation each time. The noise subsided for about 15 min and then I guess when the guard left, everything started back up. The next morning I went to the front desk to ask why the "no noise policy" was not being observed and was told that there was nothing they could do and I should have called the hotel to make the reservation so I could have been told of this "black bike week" and maybe they could have put us in the rear of the hotel, (not that it would have helped with all the noise being extremely loud), and we could have asked them if there were any events and we could have come a different time. I told them that on their web site they have a list of activities and events and there was nothing listed for these dates (5/23/13 to 5/29/13). We were trapped because by that time all other hotels were booked for this event. We got some sleep during the day because we could and besides during the day the pools (all of them) were crammed with so many people who were here and everywhere for "black bike week"! Besides the experience we had I would not stay at this hotel ever again even if there weren't an event like this because obviously the management doesn't care about their customers. We were not offered any compensation for our problems. On Monday May 27th everyone that was there for the event in the whole area, left at noon! It was quiet then and we got to sleep at night on Monday and Tuesday and then on Wednesday we check out as planned. We were very tired and what we had hoped would be a nice relaxing stay was a nightmare. Management doesn't care about anything and I definitely would warn people not to book this hotel even if there is no event like this scheduled. I think Myrtle Beach just wants the revenue and hotel owners and even the police look the other way.

Room Tip: There are no helpful tips because I wouldn't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Catherine H
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Good location but old and nasty. Elevators were scary. Kitchens discussing . Carpets so old weeds grow in it. Rooms stunk real bad. Very disappointed. Pools were small and unclean. Noise at night so bad you cannot sleep drama in the parking lot late at night cops and all. Excellent place for a bunch of drunks or drug addicts that stay up all night and can't afford much. Way over priced for the old stinking environment. I will never be that dumb again ever.

Room Tip: Remodel the falling down place.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Darla M
Honea Path, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel on the recommendation from a friend. Hotel is on the beach and had an oceanfront room. Not bad but not great. Enjoyed our stay but it is about like any of the other hotels at the beach in this particular price range. It is near the boardwalk which made it a good location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Sandpebble Beach Club, a Festiva Destination
Sea Mystique, a Festiva Resort
Sea Mystique, a Festiva Resort
#5 of 9 in Garden City Beach

Been to Driftwood at the Boardwalk? Share your experiences!