“Budget Friendly, great location,”

Driftwood at the Boardwalk
Ranked #161 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Corydon, Indiana
“Budget Friendly, great location,”
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We stayed in Driftwood July 31st to August 6th. Room 425, court side 2 room. Loved the view. Older place but they are working on it to update daily. You could walk to downtown,
grocery, eat. Loved the privacy of the balcony. They have 2 pools, one is heated. Richard, was always hard at work. He went out of his way to help you. Beds slept well. Great value for those on a tight budget..

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank two_waters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 August 2010

When we first arrived at the driftwood, the first thing you notice is there are three ocean front buildings. Each building only has a handful of ocean front parking spaces. All other parking spaces are across the street. We checked in early, around 1pm, so that we could get a parking sticker and then the hotel called us when our room key was ready. There really wasn't anywhere designated to unload your vehicle/luggage; so, we pulled in front of the hotel office and unloaded quickly. No one said anything to us. We did this again later that day with our grocery, and again, no one gave us a hard time (and this was on a Saturday). Our building had no elevator that we know of and we were on the third floor. So, we had to lug all our baggage/groceries up the stairs. The other two buildings may have elevators. It appears that two buildings have three floors and one building has 5 floors. So, I'm guessing that the later would have an elevator. The motel (and it is a motel not a resort) has two pools. No hot tub and no lazy river. No tiki bar and no restaurant on site. There is an ice machine. The lobby attendant was relatively nice. Not a bundle of sunshine but in no way rude either. The north building (that the office is in) only has community balconies and no private balconies with the exception of the ocean front rooms. All but the end rooms (closest to the street) have chairs in front of their doors that are immediately adjacent to the neighboring door/room. In summary, you will be sitting right beside of your neighbor (within inches) and this could be a BAD thing.... I hate to be be blunt but if I had to group the guest here they are more trailer park than country club, suburbs, or ghetto.... The end rooms of the North Building (office buildings) are separated from the other rooms by the stairs but room 200 has a bunch of rocking chairs in front of it that you think would be good but they actually attract a wide variety of people that could end up hanging out in front of your front door. Room 300 doesn't have this problem but since it's on the end it also attracts people too. Also,Room 300 (and probably 200) of the North building has an obstructed view of the ocean (on the private balcony) because of a giant Palm Tree that has been planted beside the office. From the windows in room 200 and 300 it is also very hard to see the ocean. These are actually more street side than ocean view. Sorry, don't have any info on the middle and south building but the guests are similar and the south building does have side balconies but I'm not sure that they are ocean view.

Now, I will talk about the room. We rented a 3 bed parlor, ocean view in the North Building (office building). The door is a shutter style door, it opens into two halves in opposite directions. It does have a deadbolt and it does have two windows on either side of the door. Each window is tinted so that you can leave the blinds up and look out without others being able to see in. Each window does have Levolor blinds if you want to pull them closed. When you walk into the room, there is a table to the left and a tv, to the right there is a futon style sofa (the third bed really isn't a bed but a thick futon style sofa reminiscent of the 70's). Next there is a door that separates this area that contains the table and sofa from the remainder of the room. Once you walk through the door, there is a dorm style fridge on the left with a microwave and some counter area, next there is the luggage area ("closet") and in front of that to the right is the bathroom. As you walk further into the room to left there is two chairs with a lamp table and to the right are the two queen beds. Directly in front of you is a huge window that runs almost the entire length of the room. In the far corner of the room is the 2nd tv. Total there is 2 queen beds, 2 sitting chairs, one sofa that the back folds down into a bed ,4 table chairs, and two tv's. The room was fine and appeared to be clean (and I am a HUGE germ freak) but there is one problem...... I hate to say it but I have to and it isn't the motels fault (or it doesn't appear to be) but Myrtle Beach has roaches. This hotel is a low rise and therefore the hotel does too. I was trying to understand why this hotel has roaches because it appears to be really clean and I have came to the conclusion that because it is only three stories that the roaches are climbing up from the ground and it is almost impossible to keep a few stragglers out. We saw not signs of roach/insect infestation in anyway but I have to say we did see a couple. So, we left no food out and any opened food was stored in the microwave or fridge. Previously, we have only stayed in high rises (Bayview, Beach Colony, Sea Mist etc. and did not have this problem with roaches but I wonder if that was only because the roaches had a harder time crawling up to such high floors... but this hotel is in no way in the same caliber as Bay View or Beach Colony).

All in all, for the price, the value was good. I will not stay here again because I can't deal with the roaches but I can suck it up for the rest of the week ( I am writing this from my Drifwood hotel room... and yes they do have wifi). Otherwise, besides the roaches, I have no issues even though I'm used to pretty nice hotel. :-)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My family and I stayed at the Driftwood Lodge last week for the first time and we had a blast! If you are on a budget and looking for a clean, decent place to stay, this place is for you! However, if you like all of the bells and whistles of a fancy hotel, this place is not for you. There are renovations taking place, so not everything is picture perfect. We had a courtside suite which had 2 queen beds, kitchen, bath, and living room with a sofa bed. We were not oceanfront, but had a very good view of the ocean from the side of the building, from both our balcony and outside of our door. This worked out just fine for my husband, mom, brother, and I. My mom and brother took the room with the 2 beds, and my husband and I took the sofa bed. We brought an air mattress to put on top of the sofa mattress, and I would recommend bringing one if you're going to use the sofa bed because that mattress is pretty thin. Our room was a little dated, but everything was very clean! My mom and I are clean freaks, so if we find a hotel we consider clean, we're impressed! We could tell that even the bedspreads were freshly cleaned! The only thing that could have used a good cleaning was the carpet, but it wasn't that bad. The only thing we didn't like about the room was that our balcony door was very hard to open and close. Other than than, we were very pleased with the room, especially for the price we paid! The staff there are all very nice, too, although our cleaning lady didn't speak much English. They also have activities planned out during the week for both kids and adults. I would definitely recommend this place to someone wanting to go to the beach with a tight budget! If we are still on a tight budget next year, we would definitely stay at the Driftwood Lodge again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MandyPK
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2010

The pictures on the website were not accurate , because , Yes you can see the beach and the pool, from your balcony but be prepared to share it with 20 other people. It is not private balcony. This is a MOTEL. ..other than that , it is on the beach, it does have a clean pool and it is in the hearth of Myrtle Beach. Staff was very friendly. It is a great value if you don't expect too much. It is not very clean.
If you are only planning on sleeping there, it is an ideal MOTEL.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We were almost ready to nix our trip to Myrtle Beach and go somewhere else because hotel costs were so high. That is, until I found the Driftwood Lodge online. We wanted a room overlooking the beach but did not want to pay the $150. and up rates we were finding. The Driftwood offered us a room facing the beach with a balcony for well under $150. a night. The hotel itself is old, rusty, and a little mildewy, but the room was great. It was as clean as an old hotel room can be, and had a magnificent view overlooking the Atlantic. The sea breezes at night were great. All we had to do was walk out the door, go down 4 flights and turn left to be on the beach. There is a public beach access going right through the hotel parking lot, with a fresh water shower. Because it is old and a little rundown in areas, any higher rate than we paid would not make it worthwhile to stay here. There is a beautiful high end hotel on one side of the Driftwood, and a closed, condemned hotel on the other, so the area is so, so. The cleaning staff was very friendly but did not speak good english. The location is close to the boardwalk, Ripley's, and good food places. Stay here if you're not into luxury and just can't do the $200. plus a night hotels with the same great room view.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank organicrider
Georgetown, Kentucky
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We had an awesome stay. The room was very clean, staff was friendly. price was great. We would stay there again. They have remodeled and adding new windows...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank kmoss40
kentucky
Reviewed 20 June 2010

This motel is good for people on a budget and want a good location in central Myrtle Beach.It has two pools,but I think they only heat the main pool and no hot tub.The amenities are lacking,but Idid read they are adding a childern's activity program this year.The staff was nice and accommadated us with everything we needed.The rates were cheap which tends to draw in to many people who just want to party.We were getting out of the pool one time and someone threw a cigerette off of the balcony(even though the pool was right below)and almost hit us.Management should be stricter on their rules about things being thrown off of the balcony's.The rooms were cleaned every day and did a good job.The matresses were brand new and very comfortable.They do need to upgrade on their towels and appliances for the rooms.Overall thought it was a nice place to stay especially for someone on a budget who wants to stay in a part of Myrtle Beach where you can leave your car parked and walk to many things and with their location by the new boadwalk it's even better.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Garden City Inn
Garden City Inn
#4 of 6 in Murrells Inlet
Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion
Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at ...
#139 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Tropical Seas Hotel
Tropical Seas Hotel
#109 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach

Been to Driftwood at the Boardwalk? Share your experiences!