“There was good and there was bad....”

Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort
Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I like the location of this hotel, the amount and type of pool options they offer, and the services you can get (like food delivered right to your lounge chair). Our view was great (of the sand pool and ocean), room was clean, bell hop was nice and helpful. We did not purchase the internet as we heard horror stories on here but our cell service was good so we just used our cell network for the 4 days we were there. We got maid service one time during our stay. I was excited to take our son to the waterpark next door (at the Embassy Suites), so the morning we wanted to go I called down to the desk and asked how to get the shuttle for the waterpark etc..I asked if we needed to have anything to show that we were hotel guest etc...and she said no. So, we headed down and asked valet to send for the shuttle. He asked where we wanted to go and we said the water park. Shuttle shows up and takes us to Kingston Plantation and drops us off at the rec center. We checked in at the desk only to be told that was the indoor pool, not the water park. We also found out you have to have wrist bands to get into the waterpark which you are supposed to get at check in but we did not get them! So we had to page the shuttle to come back, take us back to the Hilton, get our wrist bands, then call another shuttle to come back and take us to the actual water park. This whole process took 45 minutes and we had an inpatient 4 year old with us the entire time! Finally we got to the water park at 9:45 only to be told they don't open until 10! We waited in the sun until 10 on the dot when they opened. We got a great seat with an umbrella and I will say the water park was fabulous! Perfect for the kids with two small water slides, dump bucket etc...water depth was 1 foot I think? The also had a tiny baby pool and a lazy river. We went here two days in a row and loved it. Now, flash back to the wrist band ordeal....when we entered the water park they put a different band on my son's arm and cut the one from the Hilton off! What a waist! Only one complaint about the water park: Too often the lifeguards were standing around in groups, laughing, chatting, taking selfies, flirting etc...and not watching the kids. I'm sorry but cell phones should not be allowed on the job when you are in charge of children's lives. Imagine our surprise when we called the shuttle to return us to the Hilton and were told we couldn't get into the shuttle unless we were 100% dry! Couldn't even be damp! Maybe someone should have told us this BEFORE we went?! Finally we made it back to the Hilton and spent the day enjoying the sand bottom pool. While there we used the ice cream shop, restaurant and bar (used my debit card instead of charging to room). Upon checking my bank account I was shocked to see that each time they swiped my card they charged me for MORE than the actual bill was. They were charging anywhere from $2-4 more than my total each time I used my card. When I questioned them they said they do a pending charge for more than you actually owe to make sure you have the money, then in a few days they will cancel those charges and only charge you the amount you actually spent. That is what eventually happened, but I feel there should be a notice that you will initially be charged MORE than you owe. Even though it was a pending charge only, my bank still deducted that amount of money from my account, then had to put it back several days later. Also, I called the front desk and asked about this and was told someone would look into it, but no one ever followed up with me or bothered to call me back so I had to get a manager when I checked out. My son left a huge bag of sand toys, goggles etc...under his chair at the pool the day before we left so when we checked out I asked if it had been turned in. I was told they couldn't check because everyone was in a meeting (but there were 4 people standing at the desk chatting and none of them could apparently go check lost and found for me). I was told I could call later and see if they had them, then pay to have them shipped back to me if they were found. Are you kidding? Pay to have them shipped back when I was standing right there asking for them?! At this point I was too frustrated to deal with it anymore so I left without the toys.

Clean hotel. Great location. Bad service. Overcharging without notice. Oh, and you have to pay to park your own car here to the tune of almost $10 a day!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank shellbell616
Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have stayed at this Hilton several times and the accomodations are reasonable and the location is very accessible to many of the areas attractions. The valet parking staff was helpful. This Hilton is right on the beach and had multiple pools with varying depths so that children as well as adults were accomodated. We have disabled family members that were able to enjoy all that the Hilton property had to offer. Hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I recently remember why I prefer Marriott! This was by far the worst Hotel stay I have had in years! The staff was trying very hard, but management has gone way down hill. I have stayed here in the past, and had a much better time. I checked in at 10 pm, and the room I had previously reserved. I had told the operator that I was highly allergic to feathers, and when I checked in the front desk person told me that my room had not been previously cleared of feathers. I said that this was not a problem, and requested that it be fixed while I went to the bar. Thankfully I left a $5 tip for the maid on the bed. When I came back over two hours later the money was still on my bed, and there were still 5 feather pillows. I called the desk and they sent up a security guard with 2 foam pillows. I then called back to the desk and asked if this was their typical treatment of their guests, and the manager told me that the feather pillows at Hiltons were not hypoallergenic. Either he or the front desk lied to me. I know how bad my allergy is and so I refused to sleep in a bed that had been covered in feathers. The night manager Michael Keen finally after insulting me came to my room and fixed the sheets. He said that I was too late and they did not have housekeeping on staff, and tried all kinds of other excused to cause me to be sick, but reluctantly came up to my room with sheets that did not fit the bed, and a borrowed blanket. He was far from professional. Then I tried to sign into the internet which I had paid for with my room. I could not. I once again had to deal with Michael, and be insulted. I got my internet to work for 1 day of my 2 day stay, but was unable to use the internet on the final day of my stay. I was robbed. I was also disappointed in what I saw at the hotel bar. It was on the water and had a bad bug problem. The staff was overwhelmed, and spent more time fighting bugs than serving drinks. The Hotel was so cheap that they had the plastic pour spouts and not the meal ones with the covers to keep bugs out. The staff was helpless to not serve bugs to their guests. I stayed at this hotel just over a year ago, and things were very different. Things have gone way down hill. Kingston Plantation and the Hilton used to be the best place to stay in Myrtle Beach, and now it is just a place where the staff is over worked and forced to make up for the mistakes of management. Michael and the rest of the management staff need to be replaced. Thank you to the staff for making my stay bearable. I will not be back until new management is in place, and the hotel reverts to its wonderful past.

Room Tip: Do not pay for an Ocean View room. In the past I had paid for this and had a room on the front of t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Hunter M
GeneralManager15, General Manager at Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Hunter M-

We're sorry to hear about the unpleasant service issues you experienced. We take all guest concerns very seriously and strive to address them, when brought to our attention. Your comments will help us to improve and better serve our guests in the future. We hope that you'll consider giving us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Kind regards,

E. Silvestri

Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you're going to Myrtle Beach for the beach, this hotel's location will satisfy. It's a very large facility with an imposing atrium and direct beach access. There are also two large swimming pools, so a stay here offers the usual resort experience for both adults and children. The building is arrayed in a series of angled high-rise wings which means every room has a view of the beach and all rooms appeared to have balconies. Of course rooms in the wings nearest the beach have better views. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and service was more than adequate. Our room was spacious and we especially appreciated the excellent bedding and quiet air conditioning which combined to provide a very restful night's sleep. Our balcony had two chairs and a small table, which appeared to be the norm for the other rooms as well. But there are some things that detract from the usual Hilton experience. The building is showing its age, in both design and upkeep. Our bathroom was very small, exacerbated by an inward-opening door that cleared the toilet by just a few inches. This is something we might not have noticed years ago, but in these days of spacious hotel baths, it was very evident. We had no particular problem, but anyone who is heavy might have a little problem maneuvering. The ceiling was also very low and so was the shower head. Plus, the rusting hinges on the bathroom door and worn-away grout around the tub are signs that maintenance is lacking. The room also lacked some things we've found standard in Hilton properties. There were no wash clothes in the bathroom and the amenities did not include a shower cap (fortunately my wife had kept one from another hotel earlier in our trip). More amazingly, when I wanted to jot down a couple of notes for this review, I found there were no pens or note pads anywhere in our room. It's hard to say whether these were just oversights, or if management here is just being cheap. Speaking of the latter, we have gold status with Hilton HHonors and these days every Hilton family property we've stayed at has provided a full breakfast. Not here. We were instead given a continental breakfast but offered the "opportunity" to upgrade to a full breakfast for $7 each. Now, that IS cheap, especially for a resort whose rates are not. That in turn reminds me of a couple of problems the designers have inflicted on management. First, the restaurant ("Cafe Amalfi") is much too small for a resort of this size and simply cannot handle the breakfast crowd. Unless you arrive very early, expect to stand on line waiting to enter. The hostess apologized for the wait and there are signs posted around the property warning about waiting times, but those do nothing to solve the problem. The other problem is a shortage of elevators -- just one cluster of four -- for such a large building. The crowd checking out around 10:00 AM simply overwhelmed the elevators' capacity, resulting in more waiting for a car that wasn't full of people and luggage. And, finally, two notes about transportation: (1) Guests are offered a choice of self-parking or valet parking (the nightly rates are, respectively, $9.62 and $15). The neighboring parking garage is a bit of a walk from the hotel proper and, as I said, the hotel itself is very large, resulting in some long walks just to get around. If walking is a challenge for you, I'd suggest choosing the valet parking, and you'll probably want to have a bellman transport your luggage to and from your room. Additionally, there is apparently a complimentary hotel shuttle bus which makes regular runs to the many restaurants in the area. It's a nice touch, but nowhere is it publicized. It wasn't mentioned when we checked in, there was no mention of it in the literature in our room, and I learned of it only because I happened to see a group of guests getting off the bus in front of the hotel and asked a bellman about it.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking long distances, request a room near the elevators and opt for valet park...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Location to beach and amenities are excellent. Hope my group of friends chooses to gather here again in the future. This was our second time in Myrtle Beach, S.C. but our first use of this hotel. An excellent experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Troy P
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We worked very closely with Brenda France last year to negotiate our contract with your hotel. Brenda did her best to earn our business while ensuring the Hilton's interest was protected. Alan Manfredonia picked up the lead role is making sure all our event needs were met. Every member on your staff is committed to taking care of your guests. My sincere appreciation to all of you. Charles McLane

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Charles M
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We loved this place. We went there for a family vacation, the place was great. It so family friendly and family oriented. The kids loved the beach and the warm welcome from the folks at the restaurant. Even the gift shop was reasonably priced for a family. We enjoyed everything about this hotel including its strategic location. We will go there many times. If you have never been to myrtle beach, this is a great resort to be introduced to this family friendly area. Have fun.

Room Tip: Oooh, try one with the breathtaking sea VIEW.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family