“No Fine Print” 3 of 5 bubbles

Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach
Cary, North Carolina
“No Fine Print”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I booked this stay through a discount reservation service for 6 nights. Upon arrival, I asked about the ability to check out before six nights were up. I was informed that the special rate I'd received would be revoked for all the nights I'd been there and "back priced" to a higher rate (5-day minimum) if I left early. I'd brought my bicycle with me and planned to do some day rides while I was in Myrtle Beach. My room was on the 2nd floor and the elevator wasn't working. I saw the desk clerk kicking the wall beside the elevator shaft to get it working. She said they'd been having problems with it. I carried my gear and bike up two flights, taking three trips.

During most of my stay, the doorway to the main floor from the stairway was 2/3rds blocked by baggage carts. On the 3rd day, I entered the elevator with my bike and was stuck a while on the 2nd floor, ending up carrying my bike down and through the partially-blocked doorway.

I asked the desk clerk for a copy of what I'd signed upon check-in and was informed that it was hotel property and I wasn't allowed to see it. I check on-line where I'd booked the stay and found print that the hotel might add unspecified extra costs to my bill if I checked out early. No specifics were available.

Most days the motel, including my floor, was smoke free. The small kitchen was functional, the bed okay. Clearly the carpet hadn't been vacuumed, since there was a paper wrapper under the small table by the kitchenette. Since this was an extended stay place, the desk was not staffed between 11PM and 7AM. Wake-up calls were not available nor, of course, was a continental breakfast. There was a coffee thermos in the lobby, though.

If you stay sure here, make sure you know what your charges will be should you have to depart early, and don't expect the staff to be too friendly or helpful.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Steve B
ComfortSuitesMB, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thanks for helping us improve! It's true, we are an extended stay property that discounts based on your length of stay. There isn't really "fine print" but we obviously need to explain it better. Because there is a discount when you stay 5 nights or more...if you leave early, your rate does prorate back to the 1 to 4 night rate (as you have not met the criteria for the discount). I've talked to the staff and I think we can all explain it better for next time.
I'm sorry about the elevator issues. The repair people are all over it. Sorry it effected your stay.

Give us a call if you are coming back to town. I'm sure you will have a better experience.
Thanks again,
Patricia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lake Placid, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great hospitality! Jamika and Jay provide cheerful welcoming customer service. Everything was perfect. The entire facility was very clean. All the staff was cheerful and friendly. My room was very clean. The sheets were soft and the bed was comfy. The pillows were just the right size. The location was very convenient. I don’t drive and I was able to walk less than a block to catch a transit bus. There was shopping and restaurants across the street. The location was very quiet. My room overlooked a forested vacant lot so it was like being in the woods. I thoroughly enjoyed everything and everybody. I would definitely stay at this accommodation again and I highly recommend it to any traveler who wants a clean, quiet, economical, convenient place to stay that offers excellent customer service.

Room Tip: We all have personal preferences. Feel free to ask. Jamika and Jay will do their best to accommoda...
2 Thank Wanda M
Thank you for the review! I'm glad you found your stay both peaceful and relaxing! Thank you also for the kind words about Jay and Jamika, I agree, They are Awesome!

See you soon,
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have been here for 2 weeks and I still have 1 more week to go. I have got to tell you, I have been in the customer service business for over 25 years and The Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Myrtle Beach has earned my respect in every aspect of my visit so far! I I am impressed.
I would totally recommend this hotel because the quality of service and product far exceed the value. You would expect to pay more for their constant attention to detail and exceptional staff. I was impressed with my room, it was very clean, odor free, and comfortable. Their exceptional customer service ranks #1 in my books. I have dealt with mainly 4 people here. 3 out of the 4 staff that I have dealt with (Allison, Jamika, Jay) earned #1 to me because they provide consistent professional high quality customer service. Allison, administration, via e-mail contact, it was professional, prompt, informative, and friendly and inviting. Thank-you very much for your help arranging my stay Allison! Jamika can be best described as " empowered management", friendly, cool and calm...you can rest assured Jamika has got it under control. Thank-you Jamika for always making sure every aspect of the hotel is running smoothly. I would have to say The heart and soul of this Hotels staff, hands down is JAY at the front desk! Jay is exceptional at his job. My first impression of the Suburban was a good one because of him. The 1st time I walked into the Suburban I had the privilege to be greeted and help by Jay. His cheerful, friendly, helpful disposition is a rare find these days! And the fact that he is consistently like that every shift sets him apart and at the top of their front desk staff in my books. Thank-you Jay for I see that with every guest that comes through that door you have a welcoming smile and an earnest desire to make their stay as enjoyable and as comfortable as possible! You are awesome! Without a doubt I will be back. Lori P

5 Thank Lori P
LoriP, Thanks for the awesome review! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
:-)
Rock Hill, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel August 22-24, 2013. Had a room on the first floor, near the pool (which, yes, is very small). We both agreed that the room was great, especially for what we paid! The bathroom was spotless, and the room was plenty big for the two of us.

The lady at the front desk, Nikki, was very nice. When we called the front desk to ask for an ice bucket, we were told that they were kept at the front desk. I went to the front desk and she already had one sitting there, ready for me. :)

Also, the fire alarm randomly went off the morning of our check out. We called the front desk to report it and they immediately sent someone to inspect it.The situation was remedied within minutes.

My only complaint (if you even want to call it that) was that the pillows were a bit on the small side. Thankfully, I had brought my own pillow, so the three pillows together were decent enough for a couple of nights. To be fair, though, I sleep on several pillows at home, so other people may have no issue with the pillows.

I would have no hesitation in staying here again the next time we are in Myrtle Beach. Great price, nice room, and we always felt safe. Thank you for a great stay. :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Deanna B
ComfortSuitesMB, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thanks so much for noticing and mentioning our great staff! We work hard to ensure each guest has a terrific stay. It's nice to be appreciated. See you again real soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I took a mini vacation in Myrtle and stayed here for three days. I enjoyed it, however, my friends did not. I will now list the pros and the cons of our experience.

PROS:

- It has a kitchen, so we were able to save tons of money on food. Myrtle beach was already expensive enough.
- The bathroom was super clean! I'm a germaphobe and I felt comfortable with the bathroom.
- The room was a great size for four people.
- The shower water never went cold. I take 30-45 minute showers and three other people had too right after me.

CONS:
- When we first checked in, they assigned us to a room that was already IN USE! Very awkward. And unorganized on their part. Doesn't it show up in your system?
- There was a very smoky smell throughout the hallway.
- The housekeepers working our whole stay were incredibly rude.
- We didn't get any extra towels and paying the same price as an average hotel, I'd hoped we would have housekeeping service daily.

Overall though, I enjoyed my stay. I personally would come back. My friends though, they say different. But I'm the one writing the review sooo :)

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor. LOTS OF NOISE!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Katiemarieg
ComfortSuitesMB, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you have decided you to come back again! I'm sorry that the housekeepers weren't more friendly to you, that's unusual and they think they will do better the next time you stay :-)

Maybe your friends will give us another try too. See you soon.
Chesapeake, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a great, inexpensive option. Close to everything.
I wanted to comment on the 2 members of the staff that staff here the really stood out: Jay at the front desk does an amazing job, and will go out of his way to help you. He has a perfect attitude. Also, when I was checking in at the same time as 20 other families, Jamika, the hotel manager was cool and calm in a very uncomfortable crowd that just want their rooms. I was impressed. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank henry p
ComfortSuitesMB, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
THANK YOU! I appreciate your review and taking the time to notice our staff! Jay and Jamika are 2 of the best! Proud to call them ours!

See you next time!
Bristol, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We ended up switching rooms, the first room we got assigned to hadn't even been cleaned and the AC barely worked at all. No AC is a deal breaker for me at the beach of all places. But after we got our 2nd room it was fairly clean, beds were comfortable, bathroom was clean. Service was mediocre and kind of hectic at the front desk, best way was to use the room phone. There was no order or line to be noticed while trying to talk to someone at the front desk and they just picked and chose who they thought was next. Not too much to complain about though considering I was trying to find the cheapest possible way to stay and their prices were the best to have average reviews.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in room 250.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CarJunkey2010
Well, if we weren't able to impress you in July, maybe we can convince you in the fall. Times do get a bit hectic in July with so many people coming to the ocean. Maybe you will try us again in a little less busy time....We're working to SHINE!

Thanks for the review,