“Comfortable........”

Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Comfortable........”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed in an efficiency king room, not much in the way of frills, but the bed was comfortable.
After researching multiple options in Myrtle Beach, the decision was made to stay here. After making the reservation at Suburban, we were inundated with condo, villa and cottage "deals". By the time you get to the bottom line on the "deals", the prices are not as good as they are made to appear. By the time you figure in cleaning fees, condo fees, booking fees, plus a couple more "fees", then add on some taxes, the vacation budget takes a larger hit than planned. This room has a kitchenette, small table and chairs, king size bed and a single occasional chair. Hopefully a trip to the beach does not include a lot of time planned in the room. Navigation to restaurants is easy, as is access to the convention center (approx. 2 miles). Staff is attentive to your needs, accessible by phone after 11:00 pm. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Doug C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kingston, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Booked this room through Hotwire, (this is the first time I have ever used Hotwire, and believe me , it will be the last!), and now I know why it made their "Hot rates", that's probably the only way they can get people to stay there, trick them! The only positive was the girl working the front desk, she was very nice, even when she had to tell us that they were out of smoking rooms, they were out of rooms with two beds, AND they also had no more roll-aways. My friend and I ended up sharing a tiny "queen" (?!?) -sized bed in a tiny room. This is a "bare basics" type of place. No extras, no one even on duty at the front desk between 11pm and 7am to call if you do need something. (Oh yeah, we left @7:10 am next morning, and there were people lined up at the STILL CLOSED front desk.) There were stains on the carpet in the room, the shower looked like it had not been cleaned, and all the furniture looked like it came from a yard sale. Not only do they have tiny roomsk but the pool was tiny as well. Smallest I've ever seen. Did not know they made pools that small. I think the people in the room above us was moving furniture all night, at least that's what it sounded like, and there was noise and "partying" pretty much all night. If you want to take a flashback to college days dorm living, try this place! I won't be back! Hotwire's "shaded area on map" put it fairly close to beach, and guess what? It doesn't even have that going for it!

Room Tip: Go to a Candlewood or Mainstay if you are looking for a good extended stay type lodging.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 318tracyb318

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Booked via Booking .com and received a confirmation number, etc for a room. On arrival the desk individual at reception was very rude and said I we did not have a reservation. I showed him my printed out confirmed reservation. He rudely told me to call Booking.com and have them fax him for we were not in his computer. He was very rude and could have cared less. I went out to my car and called Booking.com who kept putting me on hold as my phone battery was dieing. My wife went in an spoke to reception also. Same treatment - rude. Finally the manager appeared. My wife spoke to her. She read our printed out Booking.coim reservation and gave us the last room in the hotel. The manager was very nice and helpful. However, we should have walked but it was getting close to a meeting time and we needed to dress. There were various people just hanging about the halls lottering as if on skid row. The halls looked as if they had never had a vacuum run over them. The floor of our room was filthy with bits of paper, lent, and ground in dirt over the entire floor. The carpets needed a steam cleaning. The place was filthy. We did not notice this mess until our return from our meeting. On our initial entry into the room it smelled heavy of a deodorizing spray which I am allergic to. The windows were screwed shut so the room could not be aired out. In the morning, following the hotels written instructions, we tried to return the key to reception but reception was closed. We slid the key under the protective guard so it would fall on reception's desk. It was early, 7:30 am. No one works that early do they at a hotel. Most frustrating was reaching reception ant the out the front door. The entire reception public area was covered with a large amount of vomit which had not been cleaned up for some time. Clearly they have no staff on duty at night or staff who cares less. This was a very bad experience not to be repeated. Booking.com's reviews and there booking system were big failures.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank C P M
SuburbanGM, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
I apologize for the confusion at check-in, I can see how frustrating that could be. I'm so glad that you had a copy of your confirmation from Booking.com, because that aided me to check you in, and not have you wait an longer for Booking.com to fax the confirmation. Unfortunately, there were some communication issues, and without a confirmation number, we do have to call the 3rd party site to confirm your reservation, and price, which I honored as we discussed. I apologize for the desk opening late, whereas, when I arrived there was a huge spill of spaghetti sauce in the center of the lobby. My priority was to clean it before guest began to departure, I'm so sorry you had to walk past it, the spill took quite some time to clean, but I can see how disturbing it was, because it caught me off guard, too.
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Bathroom smelled like mildew. At first i did not notice because when i checked in I was was sick with a head cold. The TV barly worked even after complaining about it twice. So glad I did not need the internet to complete my work because it was speratic at best. that was if i could even get it to conect at all. When i complained was told I am not having any problems my phone is working. The pillows where a joke i ended up going across the street to walmart and buying my own. I was on the round floor and they have the window screwed shut so you cant open it. What if there had been a fire i would have been trapped in my room.

I stayed 2 weeks. As I am working a temp job in Myrtle Beach. I thought of staying another 2 weeks and just changing rooms. Till i found out the price of the room would have been almost double to what i paid the first 2 weeks.

Also the noise level is OK if you are use to living in an APT. I thought there was an elephant in the room above me the first week.

The only good thing about the place it was right in the middle of the 2 locations i am working at.

Room Tip: If you are staying a extended time try Value Place thats where i am headed for the next 7 weeks
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 12trudya
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

For the most part the staff was nice. The room wasn't as bad as it could have been but there were significant house-keeping concerns; coupled with guest loitering in the hallways and the inability of the house-keeping staff to communicate effectively. There was a giant dead silverfish in the corner of a picture frame and spiders were seen a couple of times. Everything was dusty and when I asked any questions at the front-desk there was no real dialogue. I did try Mama Mia's pizza at the recommendation of Guest Services and it was good. I think they are in the process of remodeling but the elevator was a constant issue.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Will W
ComfortSuitesMB, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thanks for noticing our Good Intentions! I'm searching for that nasty bug...who does he think he is to crawl in there and ...well....sorry that we didn't see him and get him removed before you got there. We are continually working to keep the hotel clean and we won't tolerate those nasty insects.

Give us a call when you are heading back to Myrtle Beach, We would love to have you give us another try.

Thanks again,
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I booked this stay through a discount reservation service for 6 nights. Upon arrival, I asked about the ability to check out before six nights were up. I was informed that the special rate I'd received would be revoked for all the nights I'd been there and "back priced" to a higher rate (5-day minimum) if I left early. I'd brought my bicycle with me and planned to do some day rides while I was in Myrtle Beach. My room was on the 2nd floor and the elevator wasn't working. I saw the desk clerk kicking the wall beside the elevator shaft to get it working. She said they'd been having problems with it. I carried my gear and bike up two flights, taking three trips.

During most of my stay, the doorway to the main floor from the stairway was 2/3rds blocked by baggage carts. On the 3rd day, I entered the elevator with my bike and was stuck a while on the 2nd floor, ending up carrying my bike down and through the partially-blocked doorway.

I asked the desk clerk for a copy of what I'd signed upon check-in and was informed that it was hotel property and I wasn't allowed to see it. I check on-line where I'd booked the stay and found print that the hotel might add unspecified extra costs to my bill if I checked out early. No specifics were available.

Most days the motel, including my floor, was smoke free. The small kitchen was functional, the bed okay. Clearly the carpet hadn't been vacuumed, since there was a paper wrapper under the small table by the kitchenette. Since this was an extended stay place, the desk was not staffed between 11PM and 7AM. Wake-up calls were not available nor, of course, was a continental breakfast. There was a coffee thermos in the lobby, though.

If you stay sure here, make sure you know what your charges will be should you have to depart early, and don't expect the staff to be too friendly or helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Steve B
Thanks for helping us improve! It's true, we are an extended stay property that discounts based on your length of stay. There isn't really "fine print" but we obviously need to explain it better. Because there is a discount when you stay 5 nights or more...if you leave early, your rate does prorate back to the 1 to 4 night rate (as you have not met the criteria for the discount). I've talked to the staff and I think we can all explain it better for next time.
I'm sorry about the elevator issues. The repair people are all over it. Sorry it effected your stay.

Give us a call if you are coming back to town. I'm sure you will have a better experience.
Thanks again,
Lake Placid, New York
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great hospitality! Jamika and Jay provide cheerful welcoming customer service. Everything was perfect. The entire facility was very clean. All the staff was cheerful and friendly. My room was very clean. The sheets were soft and the bed was comfy. The pillows were just the right size. The location was very convenient. I don’t drive and I was able to walk less than a block to catch a transit bus. There was shopping and restaurants across the street. The location was very quiet. My room overlooked a forested vacant lot so it was like being in the woods. I thoroughly enjoyed everything and everybody. I would definitely stay at this accommodation again and I highly recommend it to any traveler who wants a clean, quiet, economical, convenient place to stay that offers excellent customer service.

Room Tip: We all have personal preferences. Feel free to ask. Jamika and Jay will do their best to accommoda...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Wanda M
Thank you for the review! I'm glad you found your stay both peaceful and relaxing! Thank you also for the kind words about Jay and Jamika, I agree, They are Awesome!

See you soon,