“second visit in three years, and not as impressed the second time”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #18 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Union, Kentucky
“second visit in three years, and not as impressed the second time”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We took our four kids back to embassy suites and had been there 2 years ago, and was impressed with the efficiency and quality of the hotel. The kids loved the waterpark, and we loved the breakfasts, and evening reception.This was similar to our first trip, but the difference this time, were the long waits at the elevator, which is sorely under matched for the quantity of people.The lobby was remodeled and looked great, and the breakfast area was significantly improved. The breakfast food was excellent and a good deal.
The negatives were the rooms, as the cleaning staff was spotty, as some were excellent and others did the bare minimum.
Overall the hotel is good, but the quality was less than expected from our first visit. The kids enjoyed the access to the beach, pool and waterpark.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and took our 17 year-old son and one of his friends to this hotel expecting the quality that we have always enjoyed at Embassy Suites around the country. This hotel was a poor choice for us because their two huge conventions made staying at the hotel unpleasant.

We paid a premium price to stay in this hotel, while others staying elsewhere on the surrounding plantation property had the same amenities of the hotel. The two conventions/conferences (a union group and a farm insurance group) caused the hotel public areas to be excessively crowded with very little parking (even though we were charged for parking each day). We could have stayed at an oceanfront condo with a full kitchen and two bedrooms and two baths for half the price.

I was hoping for a pleasant full service hotel experience with daily cleaning. Housekeeping did not clean our room at all one of the days and we did not have a do not disturb sign on the door. We have been out shopping at the outlets. When I called at 3:50 to complain, they said it was too late for cleaning. Our bathroom floor was always dirty they entire time.

We reserved an expensive Oceanfront King suite. The view was beautiful from our bedroom and bathroom and the bathroom was VERY beautiful. That is the only nice thing that I can report. The two teenagers love to play video games and we had planned to let them sleep on the sofa bed with their own TV so they could stay up late playing Xbox. There was a big problem in that the only entrance to the bathroom was on the other side of the bedroom. I am a very light sleeper and those boys were in and out of our bedroom all night waking me up. The room floor plan was nothing like the Embassy Suites we have stayed in before with the bathroom located between the bedroom and living room.

My husband and I had looked forward to sneaking (away from the teenagers) to the manager's reception for a drink in the late afternoons. However, this was NO fun because the hotel hosted the hundreds of people attending conventions/conferences (staying elsewhere in condos from the Plantation) to come to the complementary cocktail hour and also the breakfast. The hotel did not hire additional bartenders and staff. Seating was impossible at the cocktail hour and breakfast. The wait for a drink exceeded a half hour or longer most days. (The long lines went down a dark hallway past the elevator hall.) One day, after waiting 15 minutes in line, my husband was denied drinks because the Happy Hour time was over. This was ridiculous since he was in line well before the ending time, but we did get a very small credit ($50) to our room that day for the drinks after my call to complain. This credit was not in any way worth the trouble and frustration. At that time, the evening manager told me that those guests paid an extra $50 for the privilege to enjoy the free drinks and breakfast. These guests did not enhance the experience at all for the hotel guests who had paid a premium price to stay there. The hotel FAILED to use that money to hire additional help. I paid $400 a night for this one bedroom king suite.

Breakfast was a zoo. I have Celiac Disease and cannot eat most of the items since they contain wheat. Fresh fruit and yogurt was very hard to find because of the crowds. The omelet station had very long lines. The crowds from the convention/conferences made a big problem with food selection, seating and lines. This was not the lovely hotel experience I was expecting.

We will NEVER stay at this hotel again. When I checked out and complained about paying for parking and having to park elsewhere, no one seemed to care.

This hotel cares WAY more about attracting conventions and conferences that pleasing the guests that stay in the hotel. I made a huge mistaking booking this, but I trusted the Embassy Suites brand to be nice. Never again will I take chances like this!

Room Tip: Select another hotel if you hate long lines and crowds.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank 2et
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2012

It's hard to give a negative review when the hotel property is so beautiful. But the suite was far from perfect. Pros: ocean view/balcony, two outdoor pools and two hot tubs, small waterpark for young children, proximity to beach, afternoon DJ situated by outdoor pools, concierge and hot breakfast buffet. The biggest negative for me was the suite. We stayed in a one bedroom suite. We needed maintenance for a broken balcony slider door (17th floor), to set the time on the clock radio (needed a screwdriver for that), and to fix the ceiling fan. I let the clogged shower drain go because I got tired of calling for service. The balcony slider still wasn't working properly when we left. We used the security bar and told our boys not to touch it. The suite is well organized but too small for a family of four. It could have used a little more square footage to make it comfortable. One dresser in the bedroom for everyone's clothes (on a six day vacation). Couldn't open/close bathroom door if using the toilet. The beds were (small) doubles. Couldn't wait to get home for a good night sleep. Our suite soon became cluttered with everyone's stuff all over the place. I did get better organized as the trip progressed. But who wants to spend vacation time finding a way to better organize the space. Also, there is a charge for parking and in-room wifi. It would have been so great had we been able to take the stairs between the 1st and 2nd floor during the cocktail hour. For the price we paid I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. In comparison to ocean view or higher end resorts we've stayed at before, it's not worth the money.

Room Tip: Bring a power strip if you use a lot of electronics. We needed to charge our kids electronics as wel...
1 Thank 4redheadsonaroadtrip
Henderson, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Very clean and the house keeping was excellent. Really nice staff! Rooms took a little longer to get ready than we liked but over all the place was clean and cool. Parking could have been a little closer, the long walks from the lot is hard on a disabled person. Next time if there is one I will have to have my handicap parking permit with me. One thing I found really odd was that I was told I couldn't put up an umbrella in front of the hotels rented chairs?? Granted if it was blocking someone's view I could understand the life guard telling me I had to move behind the chairs they rent. But if you have been to Myrtle Beach the chairs set back a good city block! So to open my unbrella I had to sit up in the thick hot sand behind all his umbrella's where there was no breeze at all!!!! What was his point? Guess he didn't want me on the beach, so I did just that. Left never to be seen on the beach again! Probably because I didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices of his rental chairs! Panama City here I come!

Room Tip: North side of the building is cooler because it doesn't get the afternoon sun. We stayed on the...
1 Thank Libby H
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We come here every year for a business conference. It's a consistently good property however this year there were a couple of "buts"...

The grounds are nice. However there was construction going on--seems like a strange time and place to put a generator but that's what they were doing right by the main entrance. They were also jack hammering around the hot tub of one of the pools one day. I can't think that they'd plan this type of work during peak season so I assume something was up. But still, it wasn't particular quiet during our stay.

But otherwise the property is nice enough. They've remodeled since last year and I think the changes are for the better. It's easy access to the beach and the beach was pristine.

The room was fine. We checked the option for a corner upper floor room if they were available at check in for some extra $$. We got the higher floor but we were one off of the corner view (which we had last year and were a little spoiled by it). But the room is a nice 2 room layout. It seems a bit odd to walk through the bathroom to get to either the bedroom or the living room but I'm sure this makes sense if there are kids or others sleeping in the living room (it was just the 2 of us). The air conditioner was working hard and barely keeping up but it was "OK". The only issue I had with the room was a fairly strong smell of mildew in the shower area. It mostly was kept to this room (where the toilet was located as well) so it didn't hinder us too much. And I'm ultra sensitive when it comes to that smell but even my wife noticed it. I didn't mention it during our stay as I hate to make waves but I did bring it up in a hotel survey emailed to me.

The last negative comment has to do with the Internet. I am fortunate to travel alot and I've never encountered such slow speeds. I called the 800 number and they walked me through some obvious steps but it wasn't my computer/Ipad/phone; it was somewhere on the hotel side. It was horrible. I really hope they take care of this as it's a huge inconvenience.

In retrospect these problems didn't put a damper on an otherwise nice stay but still they took away from the overall experience for sure.

I would recommend this place for families with kids (there's a fun looking kiddie pool/activity/lazy river spot as well as the ocean steps away. I didn't eat any meals on property other than the "free" breakfast and it was respectable. I would recommend, as the hotel does, getting there early to beat what I'm sure is a mad rush of families.

But everyone seemed to have smiles on their faces--even the worn out kids and parents at the end of a day on the beach. Man I'm glad I just have grandkids know and don't have to do that anymore!! :)

Room Tip: If choosing a room from the hotel website choose the option for a higher floor and corner suite.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ohiocoalminer
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I reservation was originally for the Brighton but upon check-in we were told that a room came available at the Embassy which i thought was great and at the same rate. The inside was beautiful and my check-in process was less than 2 minutes. We were on the 19th floor, room 1902 to be exact and it's an ocean view. some of the reviews stated that the elevators were etaking too long but all 3 were right on schedule (NO DELAYS). The mangers exception is something to be desired but compaired to most Embassy's I've stayed in at least you get something to snack on and the drinks were right on. The entire hotel and staff were great and helpful. The pool was a cloudy, not sure if guest were not showering before getting in but either way we still enjoyed our stay. The Kingston Pantation is great community and a safe community and i would rather stay here then at a holtel on the stip where its crowded. I've already told my husband next year this is or new vacation spot and we've already made reservations for next year.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I level of customer service at this hotel is very poor. I would not reccomend this hotel to any one. I am a customer service manager and if my staff treated anyone the way your staff treats and speaks to people they would not have a job. DONT STAY HERE!

4 Thank bouake123