“Renovated, nice family hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #18 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Alpharetta, GA
“Renovated, nice family hotel”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I was a little leary after reading some of the reviews, but we've had a great stay. Our room was nicely updated and clean, the staff have all been very nice, and the pool areas great. The downstairs breakfast area was also renovated with a great view of the beach. The location is perfect, right on the beach, but also close to restaurants, outlets, grocery stores, etc...

1 Thank ByeSeattle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We found this property to be an average Embassy Suites, but very clean for being right on the beach. The property was very quiet and situated in a family friendly part of Myrtle Beach. The check in on Friday night went very quickly. The front desk even allowed us to extend our check out on Sunday by an hour and a half. The hotel is not luxurious, but a very nice quiet property on the beach. I would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank NCJoeTraveler
Budd Lake, NJ
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Great hotel and location right on the beach. Splash pool was great for the kids, and the breakfast was very good too. Room was perfect. Will definitely stay here again in the future. No complaints at all!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed 4 September 2012

As a frequent travler, I acrue a lot of Hilton Honors points. My Hilton hotel preferences are Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, and Hilton Garden Inns. I redeem some points for a long Labor Day weekend stay at this hotel because we stayed here a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Check in was fairly simple, although the front desk staff was less than enthusiastic and not as friendly as I would have liked, but everyone is entitled to an off day or being tired. Also, not a big deal to me, but typically as a Diamond Hilton Honors member, the staff will do a little something extra for choosing to spend some much time with their hotel, but here it was not even noticed. Perhaps due to redeeming points for my 4 nights stay, and not an actual "paying customer." It would have also been a good idea to inform me of the $10/day parking charge (8.99 + taxes) when I checked in. I did not find out about this until I had the check-out slip slid under my door on the last night. This may have been a good area to offer something for the Diamond members with free parking. This was also something that was new, perhaps due to new mgmt or some philosophy to nickel/dime guests, because parking was free (as it should be) the last time we stayed here.

Traveling with a family, I prefer to get the rolling cart, unpack my car and take my belongings to my room on my own. Mainly because we carry a lot of stuff. However, this hotel will not allow you to do this. The concierge/"bell hops" control the carts and they will not let you have one. I asked and was told "No." I guess another way to get a couple of bucks tips.

The hotel only has 3 elevators for over 255 rooms and 20 floors, so expect long waits in the elevator lobbys, and during check-out times, expect to have to pass on a few overly full elevators. I would probably try to get a lower floor next time, so the stairs are a better option for going up and down. However, this may sacrifice one of the real bonuses of this hotel with not getting a great view from your balcony.

The room is the typical suite that Embassy Suites is known for with mini fridge, microwave, sofa, dining table, and seperate bedroom, but with a nice sized balcony. The room was clean, but we did find a couple of random bugs and ants when we first checked in, but then never saw any more during our stay. The real only drawback to the rooms were the noise levels. Doors closing in the hall, peaple walking in the rooms above or down the hall, and the sliding glass doors in other rooms was very noisy and could even wake you up at times.

Breakfast was your typical Embassy Suites fare, with made to order omelets and a buffet with other items. I thought the breakfast food all tasted really good and we enjoyed it. The breakfast staff were all friendly and very helpful!

The other huge perk with this hotel is the waterpark area for the kids. After spending a few hours at the beach it is a great change of pace to let the kids play on the slides. However, there was a huge difference in how crowded it was on Saturday versus Friday. What could continue to make this a great perk would be to invest in several more umbrellas and shades because the 4 or 5 they have is no where near enough. Also, not sure why the hassle of going to one place to verify that you are actually a guest at the hotel to get a stamp on your hand, then going to another place to get a wrist band. It seems like this could be done by the same person and the same place and time.

The beach is an easy walk over the boardwalk from the hotel and they have two areas for showers, which seemed sufficient. The chairs and umbrellas on the beach are for rent, and I am not sure how much. We take our own shade tent and chairs, but the lifeguards make you set yours up behind their "paying customers." I understand not wanting a tent blocking the lifeguards view (who actually seemed to never be watching the people in the ocean by the way), but we set up in an area beside their chairs and umbrellas and not in the "emergency access" aisle, and were told to move back behind their chairs. Just seemed tacky, but we obliged.

The Manager's Reception is also typical for Embassy Suites, and this one runs every night from 5:30 to 7:30. The bartenders and staff catering to that 2nd floor event were all very friendly and helpful. They also have typical snacks (pretzels, fruit, chips). The hotel also has a free shuttle bus service that they will take you to places nearby. We did not take advantage of that, so I can't report on that.

Probably my biggest complaint and one area that could easily be corrected and move this from a good to an excellent hotel, is the pool towel situation during the evenings. The pools are open until about 10PM, but the "towel hut" seems to close around 5 or so. The first night we went down to swim after visiting the Mgr Reception, there were no towels and I went in to ask from the front desk. Again, front desk staff not overly friendly, but provided me with towels from the back. Another night we wanted to swim, and again, no pool towels (By two occurences, I can't help but think this is just not the norm), so I went to front desk to ask about getting some. This time the front desk attendant was on the phone so I waited. I told him, he went to the back, came back and said the night manager was getting them. I waited as the front desk person helped check in a few others, and field some more phone calls. He was obviously tired from being overworked. Then, Mr. Gregory, the night manager actually poked his head out from the back door saw me and then another lady did the same thing. I stood and waited for 32 minutes before talking to night mgr. about this issue and lack of customer service and not having towels in a hotel for 30 minutes seemed unacceptable. He said he was looking for some the whole time and was now calling housekeeping to "find some towels." Rather than continue to miss out on family time playing with my kids in the pool. I asked the front desk clerk to have someone bring the towels out to the pool when some were "found." About 7 or 8 minutes later, the night mgr did come out to the pool with some towels for my family. My wife and I also noticed that when we left someone stocked the towel bin with more towels.

However, even with the lack of front desk friendliness, nickel-dime attitude, lack of free parking, lack of recognition for loyalty, and lack of pool towels (we would just take our own beach towels next time), the location, breakfast staff, mgr. reception staff, and waterpark make up for it. However, this experience was not at all as good as our last one. Last time we could not wait to get back and we told others about how great it was. This time, we were less satisfied, but no one seemed to really care. I guess business has improved so much over the past few months that customer service is less important.

4 Thank admasters
EmbassyMyrtle, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including areas for improvement. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of providing an exceptional level of service. We are working with our staff to ensure that we correct all issues that you mentioned. I hope that you will be our guest again the next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area – thank you for your review.
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We decided to take a last minute trip to Myrtle Beach for Labor Day Weekend and have stayed at several Embassy Suite hotels so figured this would be a good choice. Let me start by saying the renovated lobby is very nice as is the staff at the front desk. We were given an ocean front suite which was nice with one balcony overlooking the pool area and another the ocean, very relaxing. The problem is the room smelled musty and no matter what we did (open the sliding glass doors, cranked the AC) nothing changed it. We were given the option to move to another room, it smelled just as bad. The first day we were there 2 out of 3 elevators had stopped working. It's bad already with just the 3 elevators for the size of the hotel but with only one working we were forced to take the stairs. We ordered lunch at the outside cafe and had to wait 30 minutes for hotdogs and chicken tenders while several people who had ordered after us got their food first. We also watched the lady in the outdoor cafe put lettuce on someone's plate with her bare hands, no gloves! The last night we stayed there we ordered a bottle of wine off the room service menu that was $40. They brought us a $100 bottle and had we not noticed would have been charged the wrong amount. There excuse was the room service menus were not updated in the rooms?? The breakfast staff is so concerned about the 10:30 breakfast closing time that they literally take the food and plates away in front of you, they get irritated if you show up at 10:25. It is a vacation spot, most people like to relax and sleep in a little. This hotel has horrible customer service and needs to address the smelly rooms.

3 Thank Luvs2travelalo
Thank you for your review of the opportunity with your guest room. I shared your feedback with the hotel team and we are actively taking steps to freshen our guest rooms. I would also like to apologize for the lack of service that you received at our outdoor café. We have addressed our entire staff in regards to customer service, we appreciate you and your family spending your holiday with us and we will use your review to improve our guests’ experience. I thank you for your time in reviewing our hotel and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.
Cottageville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2012

You always have heard you get what you pay for but, other beach front hotels were asking more we have stayed here several times and always been pleased with service, staff, clean and outstanding rooms and property

Room Tip: All rooms we have stayed in here were excellent
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
st pete
Reviewed 2 September 2012

For being a decent hotel chain this hotel was not the greatest. The air conditioner didn't work very well and that made the bedroom very hot and there was no ceiling fan in the bedroom. This also happened in my in-laws room. There was a smell in the air as well and made all 5 us have sinus issues. Mind you these are 2 separate rooms, coincidence? The hot water in the shower didn't work either. They came to fix it and when he left the room he said it needed a part but never came back. Saturday morning we went down to the pool got to the towels and they said they had none and that they were washing them. When we asked how long he said he had no idea as he was talking on his cell phone!! Went for a walk and came back 45 mins later, still NO TOWELS!! WOW REALLY? Went inside to get room towels and the housekeeper said white towels are for rooms only but she did give them to me. Pool bar closes early so we ended up going to Hilton bar which stays open til midnight at least! The bar inside takes food orders until 11:00pm, we got there at 10:45 asked if we could order and the bartender said well we close at 11:00 so needless to say we got no food. To top this whole thing off we were just checking the credit card bill and they doubled charged us! When we made the reservation she gave the total for BOTH rooms but of course now they are telling us that that was the total per room!!! Not a chance..wouldn't have booked it if that was the total for each room. Hopefully they will RECTIFY this situation. I will update this when this gets resolved. Oh one last thing the room above was on the 15th floor and they were up all night long partying, running the water various times throughout the night, jumping or whatever to make our room hear everything! Very loud. Early in the morning people on our floor would slam their doors multiple times!! Not quiet at all!!

Room Tip: Get hot water in your room. Make sure the ac works. Ask for a room not near a family reunion!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank paula s
EmbassyMyrtle, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure that they are all corrected. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again as we would love another chance to provide a great stay