“Best golf course in MB”

Dunes Golf and Beach Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The club's Oceanside golf course, designed by the famed Robert Trent Jones, is consistently rated one of the top 100 golf courses in the United States.
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best golf course at the beach. The golf staff could have been alittle more happy. With do many people out of work these people needed a little more uplift in their lives. Besides that the course was indeed a joy and will be back hopefully with a new staff.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"marsh"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We played this course on March 26, with temperatures in the upper 40s and a stiff wind from the north...the first tee was cold! But the course made the effort worthwhile. It's in immaculate condition from tee box to green, the the 1948 design holds up very well, enhanced by the Rees Jones renovation. Driving areas are generous but it is important to put the ball in the right spot to have a crack at the green. Most of the green complexes are elevated and well-bunkered, and the large greens permit lots of pin placements.

There are some excellent and memorable holes; the par 3 9th hole with a view of the ocean is beautiful and challenging. The signature "Waterloo" is a par 5 played around a lake, and the second shot in particular challenges you to pick a line over the water that is balanced between your desire for a short iron to the green and your desire to keep your golf ball! Visually intimidating, but great fun if you pull off a good shot here.

Very efficient and friendly staff. The Dunes is a private club, but non-member play can be arranged through some of the MB golf packagers.

The club maintains a 4-hour round policy, and our round (as a twosome) came in just under that. We didn't see rangers on the course, but then at the pace we were going we didn't really expect to...we only once caught the match ahead of us, and were never caught from behind.

This is a course I would happily play again. Challenging but fair.

1  Thank MrFriday
Reviewed 9 March 2014

No doubt this is 1 of the top 5 courses in Mytle Beach. In the old days the staff trested you like they really didn't want you there, but now they are completely different. Some of my guys were late (as usual), and instead of busting my chops they were so patient and worked with me to get all 26 golfers out together. They even gave me a hat and yardage book as the group leader and also gave me 2 hats for closest to the pin prizes. The course was in excellent shape, and the RTJ Jr. layout, with a mix of inland and waterway holes, is among the best I've played anywhere in the USA.

1  Thank RickFrat
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I hadn't played here in a long time, and I forgot what a great facility this is. BEST CONDITIONED GOLF COURSE IN MYRTLE....PERIOD. Starters and bag drop staff are very pleasant.
I do have to complain about the gals in the pro shop though. I had a raincheck that originally said two, but was crossed out and initialed for three. The girls said it should have been one not three, so I got screwed out of two rounds. Expensive round of golf as it turned out...but I was done in two hours and three minutes!