“bang for your buck! stay here...”

Palmetto Shores Oceanfront
Ranked #129 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 9 January 2012

my girls go 2 school at coastal so i spend my about 3 wks.the last 2 yrs down there,this is a nice place 2 get away, good location nice rooms great value. im ready for 2012, see you then.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank bigdaddywayne

Reviewed 6 January 2012

The hotel needs some deep cleaning, I was not impressed by the lack of towels what there was were not even clean looking. This place needs an overhaul! Internet only in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Intelsta
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at the Palmetto Shores for 3 nights in "The Sands building" and it is an older building with some updates but needs more in detail. The ceilings were water stained and the paint was peeling and paint flakes dropping on the floor. There is NO internet service in this building so you must go to the Lobby and the connection is very slow and weak. The rooms were small but ok and were clean on the day we arrived except for paint flakes from ceiling on the floor. They differently need to focus on their housekeeping services, housing was terrible. They made the bed on the 2nd day but left our wet towels on the bathroom floor. They didn't valcum up the flakes from the ceiling that was on the floor. The third day the room was not done at 4pm just clean towels in the bathroom and trash emptied and the beds left unmade. Housekeeping staff we encountered was not very friendly and acted as she didn't really care about her job. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful..checking in went very smoothly.
We had breakfast for all 3 mornings at "The Patio Cafe' and Bar". Wow this was an awesome place to eat. Over the weekend they served a buffet breakfast and it was yummy. Food on the bar was hot and fresh and they had someone there keeping it clean and willing to assist with anything you needed. The waiters and waitresses were so friendly and kept up with your table making sure everything was ok. I think the chef was KIM and wow.. how friendly. She visited everyones table to make sure all was good.. I can't say enough good about this part of Palmetto Shores. I will differently recommend "The Patio Cafe' and Bar" to eat even if not staying at the Palmetto Shores Motel. I can't wait to go back to this cafe' for chili or baked potato soup..
Overall this Motel is a good value for your money but you may have to stay on top of housekeeping things. I feel sure the front desk would be more than happy to assist you with any housekeeping needs if you ask. I would stay here again but now know more about what I would be getting for the money.

Room Tip: Stay in the Waves Building...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donhardcamp
Reviewed 28 November 2011

After the overlong check-in, found that security door to bldg wouldn't shut, deadbolt on room door wouldn't lock and balcony door wouldn't close - and was even falling off its hinges; we called for service/ maintenance to be done but none was forthcoming, so we were eventually moved to another room - opposite the elevator with all the attendant noise; heated pool was NOT, hot tub was NOT, bed was SO uncomfortable, cleaning was non-existent even after calling the front desk for "service." Mildew and cracks in the ceiling over the shower, sand and bird feathers in the carpet because the bottom of the balcony door of this second room was more than an inch above the floor! WORST oceanfront room experience of our lives...

Room Tip: The only good thing about the room was the oceanfront view - and Palmetto Shores is not responsible...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank CPRocker
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed here as walk-ins by chance, for one night, with some friends, us on the 10th floor and our friends on the 6th. The hotel was in a very good location for walking along the boardwalk and car parking across the road was ample. The rooms were a reasonable size with a small kitchen fully kitted out. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. We cannot fault it for the price we paid $49 +taxes

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mooney2
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Although it was definitely not "posh", it was better than I expected from an older beach get-away place. My husband and I travel A LOT and mostly to beaches to include all over Florida, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Atlantic, Pacific.... and other places from NY to California and all over Europe. I have stayed at some bare bones pensions in the Netherlands and penthouses overlooking the sea and also many resorts including Disney World. All were very different; we are in it for the adventure and I think that is how we approach all vacation properties. Including our first visit to Myrtle Beach.

We stayed in room 225 of the Sands. It was clean, the sheets were crisp and white, the view was lovely, the breakfast (which was included in our package) delicious. The parking was suitable (we were off season but still) the location fantastic. I didn't see one bug of any kind during our stay. The place, unlike most beach places which tend to smell musty, smelled clean (I need to find out what they use). It was "kitchy" and interesting and we are DEFINITELY going back. (The toilet in the room did run; this sometimes happens at our house as well and I would imagine, not a problem with all the bathrooms at the resort. )

I have to admit, I was prepared in case the bad reviews held up true for our visit including my own sheets, pillowcases, blankets...didn't even take them out of the car. Didn't have to open the bed bug spray in my vacation kit, either.
The room had two queen beds, a refrigerator, microwave, coffeepot, iron, hairdryer....Small table with two chairs, desk and chair, NEW FLAT SCREEN DIGITAL TV (which we only put on to look at channel 33, the local info on the beach channel). DVD player...

All in all, it was a great place to stay. Yes, going back as soon as we can....

Room Tip: make sure you specify ocean FRONT. as in all beach properties, front and ocean view are two differe...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

OK this trip my husband and I made was with my cousins who had stayed at this property before - I was a little apprehensive after reading many of the reviews of what kind of place we would be staying at - however I thought - for the rate and the fact I always take my lysol spray and wipes - I can survive anything.

I think it's important for everyone to understand Palmetto Shores has 3 separate buildings, 2 named Atlantica - We stayed in the first building closest to the Sky Wheel.

When we firsted arrived we went to Palmetto Shores to check in only to find a notice reading to go to the Atlantica Building to check in the lobby was closed. Ok back into the car to Atlantica - the check in area of this building is very small, no seating or lobby. We got checked in, while our husbands went to unload the car, my cousins' wife and I decided to see our room - well our room was 1352 - everyone knows hotels don't label floors as 13 - our room actually was PH52.

I had booked us online for a 2 bedroom condo ocean front queen bed - we ended up with a 2 bedroom king bed set up -which was just fine. I did notice a few areas on the floors in the corners that could have been swept out and the closets in the bathroom we used needed sweeping, other than that the place was clean. I kept in mind this hotel is probably a high traffic hotel during the summer so I didn't have extremely high expectations. In addition I believe housekeeping can do better service in the off season, I was even surprised they did towel service on our second day there, most resorts if you only spend 2 nights do not offer that service, but you have to go to the front desk to ask for additional towels - nice.

The decor seemed to be rather new, I would say rennovated within the last few years. There was a couple of knicked places in the bathtub connected to our room, a patch repair place in the ceiling of the living room and paint patch repair on the balcony. So that definately shows the owners of the property do try to keep things repaired.

The walls between the rooms are either thin or the folks in the next room were extremely loud. All in all I thought it was a nice stay, I believe the fact I read some negative reviews had me on guard to find things wrong. The place was clean, which is of utmost importance, the staff was friendly and helpful - so yes I would recommend this place to stay at and it's a possibilty I will stay at it again. I enjoyed the indoor pool and jaccuzzi.

Room Tip: try to get your room in the Altantica -the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple