“Excellent for a couple or a family”

Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent for a couple or a family”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Our family has been going to this hotel in Myrtle Beach now since the summer of 2007 every year. It is our "end of summer" trip, and everyone looks forward to it. Just today, my six-year-old son asked when we go to Myrtle Beach again (I answered "in many moons dear"! LOL!!) This is a fantastic resort at a great price, compared to the very over priced rental homes. We always book in January and pay the full discounted price in advance. It works for us, but you have to know that there is absolutely no refund. In 2010 we thought we couldn't go, but I said, "what the heck, it's paid for, let's go." We had a great time.

So, why do I love it so much? Ok, here are my reasons:
All rooms are ocean front. Know the lingo if you go to a hotel on an ocean. There is "garden view" that could mean anything from a beautiful garden to several potted plants along a parking lot. Then there is "ocean view". This is often not too bad, especially on a strict budget. It usually means that on the balcony, if you lean over a lot, you might see a glimps of the ocean. Then there is "ocean front". I'm from Ohio, so I go for "ocean front". Why drive 12 hours to look at a parking lot???? Nuts. All rooms are "ocean front" and you can see the ocean from all rooms. The rooms begin at around the thrid floor of the building, so all are above even sand dunes.

Next, it is very, very nice. Ok, not a Ritz Carlton, but still, very, very nice. I have a saying, "if it's not nicer than where I live, I'm not going." Needless to say, I don't camp!! LOL!! This way outdoes nice. When you first step in, the reception area is beautiful, and you have large window that overlook the ocean. The rooms are extremely clean, updated and all are beautiful. I have ALWAYS loved the Hamptons for the soft pillows and duvets!! It's like sleeping on clouds. Just so you know, on the Hampton's website they now sell these items to the public! When I found out I was so happy I could squeal!! :)

We always get a two bedroom and two bathroom suite. I have three boys and there is NO WAY I'm sharing a bathroom with them!! We have a king size bed and full bathroom. They have a bunk bed and double bed (enough to sleep 4, if two are little in the double). The sofa also folds out into a bed (and it's a comfortable - I slept there one night when my husband and I got into a fight over something I can't remember now. But I remember the sofa sleeper was comfortable!!)

They have a kitchenette. You get a full size refrigerator (nice for bringing your own beer!), and a microwave. We bring lots of microwavable popcorn and we pack hot dogs in our cooler. If you microwave the water until it boils, you can steam hot dogs and make mac and cheese for lunch. We did that alot. The kids don't want to leave the ocean/pools during the day, so this works out great. I'd probably stay in a regular room if it was just my husband and me, because we enjoy eating out, but with kids, this save lots of money!!

The breakfast. Hands down, they do a stellar job at breakfast. It's much more than continental and has something for everyone. They offer individual boxed ceral (great for little kids - pick up a couple of extra for snacks on the beach), yogurt, and a variety of juices. Each day they rotate, but I've had sausage biscuits, eggs, bacon, and sausage. There is a waffle station too. Basically, you name it, it's there!! And it's all included in the price. I do suggest you try to get up early and secure a table, because it does get crowded around 8 a.m. Often me, my husband and our little one go early, and we let our two teenage sons go later. They do have a "packed breakfast" of some basics if you have to leave early. My husband gets this on his days when he goes fishing.

The pools. Oh my - they have it all. There is a regular outdoor pool, and a lazy river with tubes. Then they have a covered area that has a regular pool, a hot tub, and a little kids pool. There is also a kid's playground and some hamocks. While it does get busy, I've never had a terrible time finding a chair or lounge.

The beach. You are RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Did I mention I'm from Ohio and this is VERY important to me???? Oh, how I love it. We pay the private company for beach chairs, and boy, are they worth it. We've learned to take chairs for the kids, and they can sit behind us (I'm not paying for their beach chairs, and they don't "sit" anyway - just ask their teachers!!)

I also like that they have washers and dryers on every other floor. One year I think I took up all the washers and dryers one night after a long trip down from Ohio!! No need to tell you more - TMI!!

So these are all the reasons I LOVE this place. I started going their when they had just one building, watched one summer as they built the next building, and now have stayed in both (they are connected, but don't go up the wrong elevator, you can't get to the other side).

We usually go out to eat for dinner, and have discovered some of the BEST resturants in Murrell's Inlet. Some of my favorite include:

Wahoo's (pricy, but really good too)
Hannah Banana's Sunshine Cabana (we like for lunch or casual dinner)
Russell's Seafood Grill ( a MUST if you like seafood!!)
Flo's Place (New Orlean's style. Loved, loved loved the crawfish!! But I was confused about being in South Carolina with purple and green beads all around. Thought I drank too much at happy hour!!)
Bubba's Love Shack (we like for lunch or casual dinner)

Hope this helps some of you - you'll have a great time, so enjoy, kick back and drink a beer for me!!

Caroline

Room Tip: Preorder early online and you get a discount. Just make sure you can go at that time. No refund.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
23 Thank Caroline A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Arabic first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This was my second stay here. This hotel is a very good value. The location is very good. The rooms are large. They need to start fixing some worn furniture. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BTvler
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Lovely decor in the lobby and meeting and breakfast area. Nice outdoor and indoor pool. Great access to beach which was not loud or in a crowded location. Room was a bit small but clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast buffet was good and hot.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Renea718
washington dc
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in Myrtle Beach for the first time on business and I wasn't expecting to find a hotel I would like. I associate Myrtle with seething mobs of tourists from my summer visits to another beach half an hour away. I was pleasantly surprised to find a beachfront Hampton Inn that looked and felt like an expensive resort. This Hampton Inn is large and has beautiful polished wooden floors, huge windows across the front with sweeping ocean vistas, and porches with comfy rockers facing the beach.There are several lovely outdoor pools out front as well, although not in use off season, of course. The breakfasts are classic Hampton Inn arrays of simple breakfast foods and fruit, coffee and tea. There is a very appealing full service Spa on the premises that I didn't have time for but longed to use. Our suite in the spa wing was large and comfortable with a full kitchen, two bathrooms, and two bedrooms. The back bedroom had both a double bed and bunk beds for children. Sliding glass doors opened from the master bedroom and living area onto ocean views, with a balcony off the living room. If this Hampton Inn had a cocktail lounge and restaurant you would feel like you were in an expensive hotel. The staff was pleasant and the rooms sparkling clean. The hotel provided troublefree wi fi. Since it was winter, not many restaurants were open on Ocean Drive but I got the impression that would change totally when the season began. There is a large parking garage on the street side with lots of parking. I highly recommend this hotel if you do not require room service and restaurant meals on site. I kept food and wine in the full size refrigerator so this didn't bother me! A great place to stay in Myrtle, would go back any time I got a chance.

Room Tip: The suites facing the ocean in the wing with the spa are large and comfortable. You could stay in on...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank wardthree
Belleville
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Whoever designed this hotel did an excellent job, they made a big box hotel feel intimate.
Its almost like a yacht club feel. Nice clean room, the surf sounds were loud and clear even though we were on the 10th floor. We went for March break, I was expected that the heated outdoor pools would be nice, but they were too cold to swim in. There were a total of 9 pools (two of them hot tubs) and the two indoor pools were fine. The hotel is right on the beach.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ocean side.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TheKingsBelleville
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We were only in Myrtle Beach for one night, but this place certainly helped us maximize our time! Put your average Hampton Inn out of your mind. There were several outdoor pools, a couple of indoor pools, all very clean. The beach was just "right there" & the parking was free. We thought breakfast would be strictly Continental, but there were eggs & bacon as well as hot (not instant) oatmeal on the buffet. The staff was very helpful as well & the room was spotless & comfortable. Perfection without the price tag!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen D
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Beautiful hotel, feels like a big beach house. Rooms facing the ocean are awesome, we keep the sliders open and go to sleep to the sound of the ocean.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple