“Don't waste your money”

Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Don't waste your money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

As Diamond members we have been in a lot of Hampton Inns and this was the worst. My fiancé and I booked our July vacation back in December and were told that we would get a suite style ocean view room. What we got was a tiny box overlooking another balcony that was part of the "north tower" and a refrigerator that barely got cold enough to keep our lunch mean from spoiling. I can't even describe the disappointment we felt. After going to the front desk (because our phone didn't work) they informed us that "this happens all the time", but since it was 4th of July weekend he wasn't able to switch our rooms to what we were promised on the phone. Had we been informed that we wouldn't be getting the room we would have changed our trip to another date. The 2 elevators used for (I believe) 14 floors took an eternity to use. In fact, a few times we decided to go ahead and take the 8 flights to our room (9 from the pool). The front desk staff was incredibly short and uninviting. Upon checking out we had to once again remind them we were Hilton Honors members so we could get our points, which was a good thing because she stated, "oh, they didn't put that in" then with an "okay, got it" we were dismissed without a goodbye. Our last evening at the hotel we happened to park near the hotel shuttle bus. We had no clue there was a shuttle. Where does this courtesy shuttle go?? I'm not sure they know, but they did inform us that Murrel's Inlet was a short walk away and a great place for seafood (it's about 20 minutes to drive there). On the plus side, the poor people in charge of the breakfast were great at trying to keep up with the madhouse at feeding time, the cleaning staff was kind and kept the place tidy, and Murrel's Inlet is a great place to DRIVE to. After this experience, I won't be back, and I'll have to think twice about booking with Hilton again.

Room Tip: Be SURE to get an ocean view. If you don't, go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Devin R
Gorm123, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. As a loyal rewards member and our guest, we want you to feel welcome from the moment you step foot through our doors. We are reviewing your comments with the appropriate members of our team and will address each concern. We hope that you'll consider giving us another chance to demonstrate our warm Hamptonality.

Kind regards,

Andrew Gorman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Arabic first
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I just spent July 4th weekend at this property and raved about it to all our friends and family during our stay. The rooms were very clean and the room staff was very friendly. However, we were sitting on our balcony the right before leaving when I noticed a guy casing the pool deck. He proceeded to go through a bag that I had just seen a couple set down by the hammock before they went into the water. I told my husband what he was doing and I ran in to call the front desk. In the mean time he proceeded down to another unattended backpack and picked it up then bent down behind the chair to go through it. My husband yelled to him to stop, it wasn't his bag. He put it back and sauntered away. My husband got a picture of the guy and took it to the front desk. While they did send the manager and another employee to check out the pool deck my husband said they didn't seem overly concerned. This attitude on the part of management did concern us. I guess next time we will be like everyone else and keep to ourselves. If not for that incident and the attitude of the management it was a great visit and we most likely will return. Just make sure to use the room safe and don't leave anything unattended!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michele M
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was my third time in Myrtle Beach and the first time at the Hampton Inn & Suites. I have to say we were never disappointed during our 6 days. From the moment we arrived it was awesome, the front desk checked us in before 4pm, which I'm not sure is standard but it was nice. The staff was friendly and helpful all the time. We stayed in the standard room with two queen beds facing the other Hampton Inn's tower. No beach view unless you lean slightly to your left and there is the beach. The room was extremely clean each time we came back to our room. The breakfast is awesome and always free. We got a different main breakfast item every morning along with fresh coffee, fruit, and numerous other yummy items. The pools and jacuzzi are always clean and fresh warm towels are always available. There is a small lazy river, two pools and two jacuzzis that are under the hotel which were awesome when we got a day of tropical storms. The beach was never crowded and I loved that. And we got all of this great service and quality and it was over the 4th of July. Honestly I was expecting lines, overcrowded beach, and just chaos but we never experienced that. There was nothing bad about this hotel and we have found our place to stay every time when we come to Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: I would get a beach view, we didn't but it was still a nice stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CindyStockbridge
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was my family's first time in Myrtle Beach, and once again Trip Advisor didn't steer me wrong! I really like Hampton Inns to begin with and this particular one tops my list!
The location is perfect for families. The beach had activity but wasn't packed, just the right amount of people. It is south of downtown so you are away from the chaos but not completely isolated.
The pools were great for my daughter when she wanted a break from the beach . She really liked the lazy river the best. There were also kids activities available right at the hotel! We signed her up for pool games one afternoon and she had a lot of fun, while my husband and I got to relax on the beach for 2 hours.
We had an ocean view room with a balcony. The balcony wasn't huge but it was sufficient. Even one day when it rained, we were able to hang out on the balcony and watch the lightning over the ocean without getting wet.
The breakfast areas were very nice and each morning they had a different main item as part of the buffet. An added bonus was that each tower had their own breakfast area and buffets in order to alleviate some of the congestion in the mornings... nice touch! And the coffee bar is kept fresh and stocked all day long... another one of my favorite this about Hampton Inns.
We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Get ocean view with a balcony! Worth the extra few $.
4 Thank IrishTraveler2013
Ross L, Owner at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for staying at our Hampton Inn & Suites Oceanfront Resort in Myrtle Beach! And thank you for giving us our 1000th "Excellent" review on Trip Advisor! To show our appreciation, we will give you a $1,000 credit toward your next stay with us. Just give our GM, Tom Moore, a call or email him at tom.moore@hilton.com to book your next trip. Thanks again and come again soon.

Buddy Lindsay Co-Owner
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in a suite and it was amazing, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, three closets, a complete kitchen (all was spotlessly clean) and a balcony that is literally right on the ocean! The master bedroom even has sliding doors in case you want to go to sleep to the sound of the ocean waves (heaven)! The hotel is light and bright with a great "beachy" feel. Nice pools, even one under the building in case you need a little shade. There was never a shortage of beach towels towels or pool chairs. Also has a good workout room. All the staff including housekeeping was friendly (always a smile and greeting) efficient and had good restaurant recommendations. Parking is in a garage attached to the hotel and it is free. My only regret is that we didn't spend our entire vacation here. We also had three nights booked at a sister property, the Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort and there is NO comparison between the two properties. I would NEVER return to the Hilton, and we are already trying to figure out when we can get back to this Hampton Inn. Keep up the great work!

1 Thank WeFlyAA4
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had a wonderful oceanview room at the Hampton. This is an excellent hotel, great breakfasts each morning. Will definitely stay here again if we are in Myrtle Beach. Check in was easy and had covered parking.

Room Tip: We had beachfront and enjoyed the sound of the ways. We were on 6th floor.
Wilmington, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is right on the beach and offers good value, is very clean and has two bedroom two bath rooms to accomodate families but the city- hired life guards prevent anyone from putting up umbrellas in front of empty rentals since they get a commission from renting umbrellas that are set up in a long line every morning right at the high water line. So if you bring your own you either have to set up behind theirs and can't get a clear view of the water and your children swimming or you do without your own umbrella. They also drive you crazy blowing a whistle every time someone goes out in the water above their waist. It makes for a very unfriendly tourist experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 Thank NCMonga