“Huge disappointment! Beach stuff was stolen & oceanview is a joke” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Huge disappointment! Beach stuff was stolen & oceanview is a joke”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is my first time writing a review for a hotel on tripadvisor. With my children running around, it's hard to find the time. But since this was literally the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel, I felt it was my responsibility to post about our stay.

First, as a few other reviewers have mentioned, the term "oceanview" at this hotel is a cruel joke. Don't plan to relax in the evenings while viewing the ocean, instead you'll be staring straight into room across from you. Classy. The oceanview standard room is tiny, impractically laid-out, and the refrigerator doesn't work very well even on the coldest setting. If you're a family of four you're going to be miserably cramped. Which isn't the end of the world when you're at the beach since most vacation time is spent outside, but for the price this room costs, it's ridiculous that the room is little more than a bed to crash in at the end of the day. The cleanliness of the room was questionable and we're still trying to figure out if the head lice we're now infected with came from our stay at this hotel. I can't prove that it did, but the timing matches. UGH!

Now, onto the thievery. ALL of our beach stuff was stolen. We had set our things in the pool deck area (as did many other families) after returning from the beach. We went up to the lobby for pizza and when we returned our umbrella, chairs, and all our children's buckets, shovels, etc had been stolen. We looked everywhere and asked management to let us see if they'd been put in the storage closet. They let us look, but our things weren't in there. We were told that sometimes people just walk off with things. I admit that if we'd brought our belongings straight back up to the room, this wouldn't have happened, but we'd seen other people do the same thing. And really, who steals children's beach toys?! Who does that?!!

So why did I give this crud-tastic hotel two circles instead of only one? Well breakfast was decent (however, we usually stay at Marriotts and theirs blow this Hampton's out of the water). Management was friendly and kind of helpful during the day (night staff not so much). And I've seen dirtier rooms than this one. Lastly, the pools were fun for my kids and at this stage of life, it's all about the kids having fun, so mission accomplished on that front.

That said, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again even if it was free. And I won't be staying at any Hilton brands after this experience either. I've had a few less than perfect experiences with Marriott, but nothing comes close to the disappointing stay we had at this Hampton. I can't imagine how they managed to be rated the #1 hotel in Myrtle Beach on Tripadvisor -- hilarious. Maybe others who had experiences similar to mine just wanted to forget it ever happened. I know I do.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Rachel_NorthCarolina
Ross L, Owner at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for staying at our Hampton Inn & Suites and for your comments. We are so sorry that you were disappointed in your room. Only 20 of our 227 rooms are "no view" rooms like the one that you described. These are our "value rooms" for people that cannot afford our oceanfront rooms, or would rather spend the additional dollars on other parts of their vacation. Next time please request an "oceanfront room or suite". You also stayed with us during the peak of our busiest season. I am not making excuses, but it is a herculean task for our staff to serve 227 families. Please consider returning to our property after Labor Day, when the rates on all of our rooms, even the oceanfront suites, are significantly less than our summer rates, and the hotel and the pools are much less crowded. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give our team another opportunity to serve you.

Buddy Lindsay Co-Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Arabic first
Paducah, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

From the moment you check in the front desk to the minute you leave, the staff here take care of you! The hotel is always clean and ready to help. One lady even put off cleaning so our family could watch the World Cup soccer game in a cozy space. The pools are nice for kids. Beach access is right outside the pool area. Only complaint we had was when asking for a "ocean view" we got stuck on a corner view. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa W
Richmond, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had problems such as a sewer smell in the bathroom sink, fitness facility is way too small and dirty, only 9 intertubes for their 2 lazy rivers, never a place to sit in breakfast area, always out of something at breakfast (eggs, gravy, oj, etc) which required a long wait to refill, crunchy/stiff bed linens. Maid service was great and very friendly, as well as front desk staff. Despite the few problems we had, we will likely try this hotel again, just maybe not our next trip to MB.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

5 Thank Brian L
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

As we were headed towards Charleston SC, we has a little hiccup regarding our directions....So on a whim we decided to spend an overnight in Myrtle Beach NC. I choose the Hampton Inn Ocean Front Resort. This was something that definitely went right on a day filled with misleadinng direction. My first, and best, encounter was with Clyde at the front desk. He was incredibly accommodating. Learning we were traveling with two children he offered us an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite!!!!! The accommodations were beautiful, complete with an ocean front view and balcony. The lobby is just breathtaking. The pools were amazing too! 2 lazy rivers pools along with 2 additional pools.
When I asked about nearby dining again Clyde came to the rescue! He told us about several places and offered too make the reservations for us. We chose Landry's Seafood Restaurant. Again Clyde made us feel special. We gave the young woman our name and were immediately seated given personalized menus and a "VIP" status.
After dinner we returned "home" to our suite. I had some laundry to do. The laundry area is clean and open, not confined and hot like a lot of those places are in hotels.
I could not have been more pleased with this hotel; Location, comfort and outstanding staff makes this place an easy 5 star.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Christopher M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here with out two teenagers. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The pools are nice. The beach was fabulous. We rented the chairs and were glad we did. I would put some towels on a pool chair to save them, then go to the beach until we wanted to go back to the pool. The pool does fill up fast, especially if the ocean is rough.
We enjoyed the breakfast in the morning and the free parking.
The room was clean. The ocean view balcony was great.

Only a few minor complaints. 1. We felt a little cramped in our room. 2. Breakfast was crowded. 3. Some of housekeeping staff were not friendly. One rolled her eyes at me when I said we would be out shortly after she knocked at the door to clean.
Overall the pros outweigh the cons here. We would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lori N
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

As Diamond members we have been in a lot of Hampton Inns and this was the worst. My fiancé and I booked our July vacation back in December and were told that we would get a suite style ocean view room. What we got was a tiny box overlooking another balcony that was part of the "north tower" and a refrigerator that barely got cold enough to keep our lunch mean from spoiling. I can't even describe the disappointment we felt. After going to the front desk (because our phone didn't work) they informed us that "this happens all the time", but since it was 4th of July weekend he wasn't able to switch our rooms to what we were promised on the phone. Had we been informed that we wouldn't be getting the room we would have changed our trip to another date. The 2 elevators used for (I believe) 14 floors took an eternity to use. In fact, a few times we decided to go ahead and take the 8 flights to our room (9 from the pool). The front desk staff was incredibly short and uninviting. Upon checking out we had to once again remind them we were Hilton Honors members so we could get our points, which was a good thing because she stated, "oh, they didn't put that in" then with an "okay, got it" we were dismissed without a goodbye. Our last evening at the hotel we happened to park near the hotel shuttle bus. We had no clue there was a shuttle. Where does this courtesy shuttle go?? I'm not sure they know, but they did inform us that Murrel's Inlet was a short walk away and a great place for seafood (it's about 20 minutes to drive there). On the plus side, the poor people in charge of the breakfast were great at trying to keep up with the madhouse at feeding time, the cleaning staff was kind and kept the place tidy, and Murrel's Inlet is a great place to DRIVE to. After this experience, I won't be back, and I'll have to think twice about booking with Hilton again.

Room Tip: Be SURE to get an ocean view. If you don't, go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Devin R
Gorm123, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
We apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. As a loyal rewards member and our guest, we want you to feel welcome from the moment you step foot through our doors. We are reviewing your comments with the appropriate members of our team and will address each concern. We hope that you'll consider giving us another chance to demonstrate our warm Hamptonality.

Kind regards,

Andrew Gorman
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I just spent July 4th weekend at this property and raved about it to all our friends and family during our stay. The rooms were very clean and the room staff was very friendly. However, we were sitting on our balcony the right before leaving when I noticed a guy casing the pool deck. He proceeded to go through a bag that I had just seen a couple set down by the hammock before they went into the water. I told my husband what he was doing and I ran in to call the front desk. In the mean time he proceeded down to another unattended backpack and picked it up then bent down behind the chair to go through it. My husband yelled to him to stop, it wasn't his bag. He put it back and sauntered away. My husband got a picture of the guy and took it to the front desk. While they did send the manager and another employee to check out the pool deck my husband said they didn't seem overly concerned. This attitude on the part of management did concern us. I guess next time we will be like everyone else and keep to ourselves. If not for that incident and the attitude of the management it was a great visit and we most likely will return. Just make sure to use the room safe and don't leave anything unattended!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple