“Value not there anymore”

Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #7 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this property the last four years. I have to say I've never had a complaint until now. First stay in south tower!!Problem one: bathroom door did not open fully was blocked by sink.
Problem 2 the pool area is starting to show wear and tear. Problem 3 breakfast items were not replenished in a timely manner. Problem 4 had one good housekeeper Alicia when she was off the place was not fixed to hampton standards, I stayed in a suite for 9 days and paid a good penny for the stay. This is the first time I've been upset over our family stay. I asked for a room change and was not accommodated. Ok I accept that. I want to say we come to MB every first and second week of July . I am considering ending my tradition of staying at this hotel as the value is not there anymore. We have endured a rate hike each and every year since we started staying there.

Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank breallikespizza

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel was beautiful, the staff was extremely sweet and helpful and there were LOTS of activities for the kids to do!!! Their Grouper Gang (the children's adventure club) thoroughly wore our kids out while keeping them safe!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Patrice D
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have never been disappointed. My wife and I just returned from a four day stay today.

The staff at the front desk, the housekeeping staff, and the women taking care of the breakfast area were completely friendly and helpful. We were staying on rewards points (free room). We had a beautiful ocean front suite on the ninth floor. The suite (which included two bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room area and an ocean front balcony) was spotless. All the appliances worked perfectly. The air conditioning system kept the suite at the temperature we set it to and cooled the room quickly. The balcony had two rocking chairs and was ideal for relaxing while taking in the sun rising over the ocean and all the beach activity. The beds were extremely comfortable. The rooms include free garage parking attached to the hotel, not across the street as is the case with many Myrtle Beach properties. The breakfasts which are free were good. We ate breakfast there all four days and the menu did not repeat. Now, the breakfasts are not gourmet or cooked to order, but if you prefer a full service breakfast there are literally dozens of restaurants within a short drive and several within walking distance. I read a recent negative review and have a hard time believing its the same hotel. I have stayed in this hotel five times in several different room lay outs and have never had a complaint. Now, there is a difference between ocean view and ocean front rooms. I always book ocean front because I do not like side views. This applies to all ocean front hotels I stay in, no matter the brand or the location. To sum it up, I highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing, comfortable, and stress free stay.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor (better view and less outside noise) and request ocean front. Its wo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Donald P
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. Immaculate. Room was spacious. Staff was fantastic. They were very helpful and friendly and seemed to treat every guest as they were the only guest. Breakfast was very good. Pool/workout area was nice.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Bigcat1974
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

What more could you want? Great location, great staff, and great rooms. Only complaint is the pools were not cleaned once during my 3 day stay. You could see the dirt building up every day. Also a little more info on what to do off the beach would be nice. But I'll be back

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank K2service
rosslindsa, Owner at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for staying at our Hampton Inn & Suites Resort and for your comments. You stated that everything was great except that the pools were not cleaned for three days while you were here. All of our pools are cleaned every day from 4 a.m. until 7 a.m. The sand does build up during the day in the pools, especially in the lazy rivers, but every pool is thoroughly cleaned early every morning. Please come and stay with us again. Remember our rates drop considerably after Labor Day Weekend, but the weather is typically great and the ocean temperature remains warm.

Buddy Lindsay Co-Owner

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Rooms were very clean and comfortable. I liked that there was a fridge in the room and it was right on the ocean. I would stay here again. It was right by restaurants and not far from the airport which is a plus.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DKenneth608
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is my first time writing a review for a hotel on tripadvisor. With my children running around, it's hard to find the time. But since this was literally the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel, I felt it was my responsibility to post about our stay.

First, as a few other reviewers have mentioned, the term "oceanview" at this hotel is a cruel joke. Don't plan to relax in the evenings while viewing the ocean, instead you'll be staring straight into room across from you. Classy. The oceanview standard room is tiny, impractically laid-out, and the refrigerator doesn't work very well even on the coldest setting. If you're a family of four you're going to be miserably cramped. Which isn't the end of the world when you're at the beach since most vacation time is spent outside, but for the price this room costs, it's ridiculous that the room is little more than a bed to crash in at the end of the day. The cleanliness of the room was questionable and we're still trying to figure out if the head lice we're now infected with came from our stay at this hotel. I can't prove that it did, but the timing matches. UGH!

Now, onto the thievery. ALL of our beach stuff was stolen. We had set our things in the pool deck area (as did many other families) after returning from the beach. We went up to the lobby for pizza and when we returned our umbrella, chairs, and all our children's buckets, shovels, etc had been stolen. We looked everywhere and asked management to let us see if they'd been put in the storage closet. They let us look, but our things weren't in there. We were told that sometimes people just walk off with things. I admit that if we'd brought our belongings straight back up to the room, this wouldn't have happened, but we'd seen other people do the same thing. And really, who steals children's beach toys?! Who does that?!!

So why did I give this crud-tastic hotel two circles instead of only one? Well breakfast was decent (however, we usually stay at Marriotts and theirs blow this Hampton's out of the water). Management was friendly and kind of helpful during the day (night staff not so much). And I've seen dirtier rooms than this one. Lastly, the pools were fun for my kids and at this stage of life, it's all about the kids having fun, so mission accomplished on that front.

That said, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again even if it was free. And I won't be staying at any Hilton brands after this experience either. I've had a few less than perfect experiences with Marriott, but nothing comes close to the disappointing stay we had at this Hampton. I can't imagine how they managed to be rated the #1 hotel in Myrtle Beach on Tripadvisor -- hilarious. Maybe others who had experiences similar to mine just wanted to forget it ever happened. I know I do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank Rachel_NorthCarolina
Ross L, Owner at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for staying at our Hampton Inn & Suites and for your comments. We are so sorry that you were disappointed in your room. Only 20 of our 227 rooms are "no view" rooms like the one that you described. These are our "value rooms" for people that cannot afford our oceanfront rooms, or would rather spend the additional dollars on other parts of their vacation. Next time please request an "oceanfront room or suite". You also stayed with us during the peak of our busiest season. I am not making excuses, but it is a herculean task for our staff to serve 227 families. Please consider returning to our property after Labor Day, when the rates on all of our rooms, even the oceanfront suites, are significantly less than our summer rates, and the hotel and the pools are much less crowded. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will give our team another opportunity to serve you.

Buddy Lindsay Co-Owner