“Another disappointed pet traveler”

Comfort Suites Myrtle Beach
Ranked #67 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 19 May 2014

In my opinion, a hotel should not advertise themselves as pet friendly if they make a big deal about it. I have a 13 pound dog who is paralyzed and travels with us in a plastic crate. On check in, the employee who helped me sighed and complained that there was nothing on my reservation about a pet and said that only specific rooms were pet-friendly and he had no more. I pointed to my dog and referenced that he was not ever going to get out of the crate, since he cannot walk on his back legs. At that point I was told they would make an "exception" so that he could stay with us. Unfortunately, this wasn't the only sub-par encounter I had with an employee. When my debit card was charged an authorization hold of twice the amount of our stay (approximately $340) I was told in a very condescending voice by an employee "This is called a hold and all hotels do it." I use the same card to travel all the time for business and have never had such a huge charge- nearly $700 for a two-night stay? In any case, even if it wasn't their fault, the employee at the front desk who spoke to me left a lot to be desired. To be fair, another woman at the front desk was more appropriate about it and later asked me if the issue was resolved (and no, it hasn't been yet). But if two out of three employees are not friendly, no thanks, I'll pass.

The breakfast area is okay, it's about what you expect at a hotel like this- eggs, sausage, cereal, toast, etc. It's extremely crowded in the morning and the second day we opted to just go eat out instead of fighting the crowds. The location is decent because you are close to Broadway at the Beach and several other amenities.

Hotel beds are not the most comfortable- they are very hard, so if you like that, you'll be set. Overall, I would not return to this hotel because I got a very bad impression when such a big issue was made about my dog. This left a bad taste in my entire party's mouth. And thankfully we traveled with enough extra money that the exorbitant hold charges didn't impact our vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Laura P

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were searching for pet-friendly accommodations in Myrtle Beach for a mini vacation. My husband contacted the staff at Comfort Suites after learning online this establishment is pet-friendly. We were assured we could make reservations for the king suite with whirlpool and our dog would be allowed. Upon arriving in the immediate area, we were not happy about the locale. While the hotel was convenient to shopping, restaurants and Broadway at the Beach, there were lots of "seedy looking" businesses close to the hotel. At check in, my husband was told they did not know we were traveling with a pet so there were no more rooms with king suites left. The agent managed to locate an "emergency room" with equal amenities but we were advised to use the stairs versus elevator when going in and out with our dog. We discovered a large yellow puddle in the stairwell which we reported to the maid. After a couple of hours, it was still there so we had to report it to the front desk. Overall the room was nice and we enjoyed the whirlpool. It is important to mention our air conditioner was quite noisy. One major thing this hotel lacked was friendly customer service which we have been used to at other hotel groups. After one night, we decided to try another pet friendly hotel in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alexandra S
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had a nice weekend getaway here. I'm a choice hotels member so wherever I find the opportunity to book with them I do. I must say the hotel is nice. Its proximity to the beach is wonderful which was my reason for booking.

My girlfriend and I enjoyed our stay. A shuttle would have been

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We booked this hotel for one night . It was Easter 2014. We were checking into a condo the next day. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly.

We got a great breakfast the next morning. Joy was the employee in charge of maintaining the breakfast. She was very friendly and helpful. We really liked the breakfast. Waffles, yogurt , fruit etc

The hotel had a great price and location for our needs. They are close to Broadway at the beach that has shopping and dining.

Also enjoyed the free wi fi

We would definitely book again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pinehurstt
Reviewed 9 April 2014

When looking for a place to stay I booked this hotel because I am a choice rewards member and like to stays within the choice string of hotels. I didn't realize how close it was to the beach which was a wonderful surprise. The rooms were very clean. the staff was awesome and knowledgeable about the area. Loved how close it was to the beach and stores. will be back, thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed in room 425, a whirlpool suite. It was very clean! I lost my wedding band in the room and ended crawling around the room on my hands and knees. Some how it magically disappeared over night off the low room partition of so I thought. Rebecca is in charge of cleaning the room. The breakfast was standard corporate fare. While I definitely will agree that new rugs are needed, but not an emergency. Normal wear can be seen from a family friendly facility where kids probably are a challenge in the summer season. We've stayed here before and will keep coming back. Great price, central location! This facility is a good stop. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom exhaust fans is noisy.The free Wi Fi worked good. Super friendly staff.

Room Tip: Check in early, if you don't have a reservation during in season.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KIM R
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Clean lobby, Quick check in. Good location at 501 and 17. The wallpaper is pretty beaten up in the hallways. The carpet in the room is worn. The mattress and pillow was very comfortable. Clean large bathroom. No room noise except for garbage truck at 4:30am. Breakfast ok, bagels, toast, waffles, eggs and sausage. Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BW2
ComfortSuitesMB, General Manager at Comfort Suites Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for the review! We are continually upgrading the property and the halls are in the plan. In 2013 we installed all new bedding, sheets, pillows and comforters. New sofas in many rooms too. Come see us again to see what else is new!

Happy Travels!