“Desperately needs updating..”

Caribbean Resort And Villas
Ranked #26 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just came back from a short vacation with my kids. We stayed at the Chelsea House which has condos across the street from the main building. We had a 3br condo. Our condo looked like it was straight out of the 80's. The furnishings are old and dated. A lampshade was broken upon our arrival. The towels were hard and scratchy. The kitchen looked old and tired, with one of the handles falling off of the utensil drawer. I was disappointed considering I paid around $225 per night to stay there. However, the kids club is great. Lots of great pools and lazy rivers.

3  Thank Cakebaby72
Jordan E, Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Cakebaby72,

Thank you for staying at the Caribbean Resort & Villas, and for sharing your comments. We are glad your family had a nice time. I am sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with the condition of your accommodations. Our units see a lot of wear and tear during the very busy summer, but we do address this every year with our annual renovations. Your feedback is crucial to this process, and we will utilize your notes when forming our plans for the next offseason.

We hope you return to the Caribbean again in the future!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,215)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed 5 days (4 nights) in the Dominican Tower & even though it wasn't a luxury resort, it was more than sufficient to have an awesome time. Wonderful central location, so it's easy to get everywhere in Myrtle Beach. Since it's the farthest north of the resorts before the "break" the beach area is less congested & open. There are houses for several miles before the North Beach section begins, which makes for a quiet walk if you head north, & a noisier one (but great for people watching) if you walk south, where there is resort after resort until you reach the boardwalk area. Some issues with elevators (just walk cross the hall & take the ones in the Cayman Tower -- there are more of them & they seem to have fewer problems). The Dominican suites do need some TLC (can smell a bit mildewy, especially the carpeting -- not sure how to fix that when guests are constantly tracking water in), but there's a lovely kitchen & great balcony; also, having a Murphy bed & sofabed in the living room is great for kids/teens. HONESTLY, WHO GOES TO MYRTLE BEACH TO STAY IN YOUR ROOM, ANYWAY? Go to Br'way at the Beach if it's raining! This is a fun, happy place to stay & we wish we were still there!

Room Tip: Might be a bit noisy below the 10th floor.

Dear dancemore,

We are thrilled to hear how much you miss the Caribbean Resort & Villas! Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, along with these beautiful photos from your recent stay. It seems your family had an unforgettable experience. We look forward to serving your family again in the future!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The "Ocean View" room in the Jamaican Inn was not what we expected. Upon arriving at The Caribbean Resort & Villas in Myrtle Beach, SC there was very little parking available upon check-in. Once I parked in the 15-minute parking area, I was had to wait in a very long line to check in. The Caribbean Caymen Tower and Dominican Towers looked like they were packed with people. Kids were running around everywhere, screaming, unchaperoned. When I finally reached the front of the line I was given a huge packet and directed to the Jamaican Motor Inn. Do not stay at the Jamaican Motor Inn. If you intend to visit this "Resort" spend a little more money and stay in one of the packed towers. All of these buildings are Motel type lodgings that open right to the outside. I was provided with a Wi-fi password, but quickly found out that the Wi-fi network is not pass-protected and anybody can get onto the network. That must have been why the internet was extremely slow. The Jamaican Motor Inn is very old, not maintained, and small rooms. The pool is extremely small and when you attempt to go to the beach you have to rent beach chairs, if you don't have any, because the "Resort" does not provide them. At night I found out about a new brand of television-Hi Sense. I have never heard of this type of TV, and now I know why...it was awful. Terrible audio and video. The "Resort" provides you with a free DVD rental card so that you can rent DVDs. The DVDs are all scratched and the DVD players in the room are very poor quality as well. I couldn't wait to check out of this "Resort." I will never, ever stay here again. Lesson learned!

Room Tip: Spend a little extra money and don't stay in the Jamaican Motor Inn
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank seanhayes
Jordan E, Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear seanhayes,

Thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. I am saddened to hear how disappointed you were about your stay, as guest satisfaction is at the top of our priority list. I would love to take a moment to touch on the issues you noted above.

Your review is quite clear in its contemplation of our resort, including all of its accommodations and amenities. The Caribbean Resort & Villas is a family-friendly resort that offers a variety of room types that span from standard ocean view rooms to fully furnished oceanfront 4-bedroom condos. We are proud to offer this assortment of rooms that make it possible for us to accommodate guests of all different needs and desires who want to visit this gorgeous region of Myrtle Beach.

The title of your review claims "Not as described," which leads me to inquire which description you are referring to. Our website clearly describes all four buildings of the Caribbean Resort, along with a breakdown of all unit types in each building. If you booked online through our website, there should not have been any confusion. When calling to book over the phone, you will reach one of our many esteemed reservationists who are equipped with the knowledge and resources to describe all unit types and match any prospective patron with the perfect accommodations to suit his/her needs.

We also notice you experienced complications with the television, complimentary WiFi, and Sun'n'Fun Bonus DVD rentals. As I previously stated, guest satisfaction is a priority and our resort staffs multiple departments all devoted to the success of this important objective. Had you notified the front desk with any of your concerns, you would have been greeted with an immediate response along with some form of solution. We understand that occasional hitches or obstacles may occur, and are always prepared to react. It is imperative that you actually notify the front desk at the time of the incident so we can find an immediate remedy to make you happy, as opposed to posting it here days later and still crestfallen.

We truly appreciate your comments of the Caribbean Resort & Villas and are truly remorseful about the dejection you feel about your vacation. Our team will utilize your remarks as building blocks for our future, and we will continue to .provide the best possible resort for all families.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Traveling with teenage daughter on the way home from college for relaxing end to semester. Came home from beach and door was propped open. Beds had been made by staff. Mac, Ipad, wallet with cards and $500 cash missing. Reported to manager and police. Determined by police that must of been staff that left door open due to key swipe record. Hotel video not working. Management offered no compensation still charged for room due to booking through hotel.com. Moved us to a "safer" location. Very dismissive! Blaming us for theft either by their staff or due to negligence. Management stated we could file claim with our home owners insurance and advised us to use hotel safe in the future. " that is why it is provided" they are not responsible for theft. Beautiful surroundings but officer said high crime rate. BEWARE!

Room Tip: Tower rooms are much nicer and on site
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank momssharecare
Jordan E, Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear momssharecare,

It is very upsetting for me to read this review. I recognize you posted this in August, while your review states you stayed back in May. If this is the case, I am actually the manager who handled this entire situation with you, and I feel compelled to clarify a few miscommunications.

First and foremost, this is a very sensitive topic and I would like to offer my deepest apologies for any items you may have lost while on vacation. As soon as you notified the desk, I was quick to meet with you and wanted to complete a thorough investigation of your situation. After completing a read-out of all keys used on your door, we were able to determine that one of your guest key cards had been used to enter the room, and then the same individual left the room shortly thereafter. We could then see the door had been left ajar, or not properly closed. After speaking with you about this, you had informed me that your daughter had gone back to the room for a few moments around this same time. However, I was never able to confirm this as she was not around during the process. This conclusion was actually confirmed with the police officer who was present. Therefore, it was not our staff who had left the door open. This documentation was actually saved, along with the incident report you filled out about these events. After I read this review, I pulled these documents to help me evaluate even further. The form you filled out stated you were missing $200, but this post claims $500. Parts of this review do not seem to match up with what actually occurred, and I simply wanted to pinpoint what happened.

With all of this being said, we do not condone theft or any malicious activity on our property and we will always pursue any injustice to the full degree. All registration cards signed by guests at arrival state that we are not responsible for any personal property in the rooms, but we will always go above and beyond regardless. I feel the manner in which I handled your inopportune situation is no exception to that. We did everything we could to help you and I even offered you an upgraded room at no cost; simply because I cared and wanted you and your daughter to feel safe. After our last discussion, I truly felt that you were beyond satisfied with my efforts.

This review is very discouraging to me. I do not feel that it clearly recognizes the event, or even gives justice to our efforts. I can not express just how sorry we are that you had this bad experience while staying at the Caribbean. Please contact me directly if you have any more concerns or if there is anything else we can do for you in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just came back from a family vacation with husband and 3 year old. This is a solid 3.5 star hotel. We stayed in a king suite in the Dominican tower. There are certain amenities that make me want to give it 4 stars, but I believe a little more TLC to the building is needed. The view and location is fabulous, and except in the rain when every crowds into the covered pool, there are plenty of pools to go around. The kitchen in our unit was nice. The bathroom was smallish, but a decent size. Loved the living room and the bedroom was a good size. Bed was comfortable. The furniture was a little banged up and walls felt dated, but the carpet was newer, and the upholstered furniture (bed, couch, etc.) was clean.

There were some less than ideal issues that my husband and I chose not to dwell on. The Dominican has open air corridors and the AC unit facing the corridor had some build up in it that gave the bedroom a funky smell. On Tuesday night though, we were able to watch fireworks at Broadway at the Beach from the corridor. TV service was lousy and our TVs and remotes didn't work well. We don't go to the beach to watch tv, but on a rainy day, it helps, especially for a little one. The coffee pot was old, and we didn't feel comfortable leaving it plugged in. Wireless was awful. The elevators were not great, and we were worried at one point that we were stuck on one.

One word of advice...do NOT book any shows, activities through the reception area. That area is run by Wyndham vacations, not the hotel, and the low cost ticket to your event will cost you a vacation day in a high-pressure timeshare sales pitch off-site. I went down thinking it was a concierge service and after waiting a half hour and getting my show booked, I learned we had to sit through a timeshare pitch which they promised wouldn't be more than 2 hours and a free breakfast. We were there half the day and the complimentary breakfast at the Sea Captains house is much better than what Wyndham will feed you. We got the tickets and loved the pirates show we got tickets for, but had I known what I was getting into, I would have made full priced reservations on my own.

Room Tip: Go oceanfront. And book your show/attractions on your own to avoid timeshare sales pitch
4  Thank Jill F

Dear Jill F,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of the Caribbean Resort & Villas. We are glad your family found a lot of value in what we offer, but I am sorry for the issues you experienced. In the future, please contact the Front Desk when you encounter any obstacles (no matter how big or small). Your comfort and ease of mind is very important to us, and we have excellent housekeeping and maintenance personnel that would love to right any wrongs for you. We operate at 100% occupancy throughout a majority of the summer, so a few things may slip through the cracks. This does not forgive us from overlooking things, but we love to hear what we can improve for our patrons while they are staying with us.

We truly appreciate your feedback, and look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We took a King Suite in their "Dominican Tower" (nice well-appointed kitchen, full-size fridge with working ice-maker) large bedroom, large living room, nice balcony.) It's directly on the beach, at the far north end of the line of hotels. It's a bit quieter then the section down nearer to the Boardwalk and the piers. Several pools, several hot tubs, two "lazy rivers" and a big water slide. Big parking garage across the street (free parking for guests.) One of the pools and hot tubs is under an awning, and are usable when it rains.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LittleNeckRob

Dear LittleNeckRob,

Thank you for staying at the Caribbean Resort & Villas, and for your comments. We are delighted to discover how much you valued our accommodations and amenities. I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Great location right on beach. The room was nice, but could of used a few cosmetic touch ups. Kitchen area is very nice and up to date. Know that the parking is across the street in a parking garage. Lots of pool areas and easy access to beach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Indianafamily0f5,

We are glad your family had a nice time at the Caribbean Resort & Villas. A busy summer may bring some slight wear and tear to the rooms, but I want you to know we do renovate our buildings annually. Our team will certainly keep your comments in mind when developing these plans. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see your family again soon!