“Not so good”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Ranked #29 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We checked in today. Check in girl was rude. Not happy form beginning. Room was totally outdated. Ripped shower curtain, stains everywhere and scuff marks all over the walls. I even found a Dorito in the closet from previous guests. Disgusting. Pool area also dirty and lounge chairs dirty as well. Very disappointed. Just checked in two hours ago so I hope the next 7 days get better. I do love the view and the beach is great. Don't think I'll stay again. Unfortunately stayed in the older side of the hotel and after reading the reviews I thought people were being dramatic. But you get what you pay for. Should've spent the extra money and stayed in the newer side. Regret it but I won't let it ruin my family's vacation being that we drove 12 hours to get here. Live and learn. I know I paid less but sub par is an understatement. Stains and rips are unacceptable when you are paying any money. I will not come back.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank julietinpa
billfishmi, Public Relations Manager at Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

julietinpa,

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at the Sandy Beach Resort. The Magnolia side of Sandy Beach Resort offers our guests with clean, comfortable, oceanfront views at a affordable rate for Myrtle Beach. The Palmetto wing consists of different upgrades but also costs more to stay. We are sorry that you did not like the other side as much as the more expensive Palmetto side, but hope you come back and stay in a One Bedroom Deluxe.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were at this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. When you first get here, there is no one to tell you where to go. Finally we asked a guest, who told us that we can leave our car down at the ground floor while we go upstairs to the second floor to check in. No one there to help with bags. The rooms where ok, a little dated, but people kept leaving flyers under our door at all times of the day. Felt creepy. The hotel has a sign stating not to use those flyers. How about the hotel have a security guard keeping strangers out?

We paid about $270 a night for this place.They also charge "resort" fees, but not much amenities, not even a small cafe/bar to grab something on the go.

The pools, I think they have 5, where all filled with screaming children from late morning to night, I wish they would have at least one pool designated only for adults. About 90% of the pool chairs had towels on them very early in the morning (though I barely saw people in the pool at that hour), so good luck finding a chair if you get there late morning.

But the worst was the parking situation. On the 4th, we went out in the morning, when we came back a couple hours later, there were no parking spaces left. A lot of cars were parked illegally in the hotel's private parking lot. We circled for a long time then found the last spot available at a different lot a couple blocks away and paid $10 to park there, meanwhile non-guests were parking free in our space. When we called the front desk about this, they told us its the 4th of July, alot of people come to the beach. What? that makes it ok? Not even an apology for the inconvenience. We had reservations to go out for dinner that evening but canceled them because the guy at the parking lot told us we may not find any spaces when we get back. One of the reasons we chose this hotel was for their private parking area. By the way, that night was the only time we saw a security guard.

Maybe this is what Myrtle Beach hotels are like, won't be going back any time soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Vin S

Vin S,

We do have a security guard at Sandy Beach Resort that is under the building at all times and keep anyone that is not supposed to be there out. The resort fee's cover the free internet, parking and all the pool amenties.

Over the 4th of July Weekend, Myrtle Beach along with Sandy Beach experiences and unusually large amount of people at the resort. The parking and the pool deck does get very crowded from time to time over the holiday weekened. We apologize about all the inconvenience that this has caused during your stay.

We do have ample parking for our guests that bring the correct number of car's allowed per room. We are sorry it was so crowded over the 4th. We hope we can earn your business back at the Sandy Beach Resort!

Cheers,
Sandy Beach

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a long review, but Tripadvisor was the reason I chose this hotel, so I wanted to be as helpful to anyone else considering staying here as I could, and will gladly answer any questions anyone might think of.

First time at Sandy Beach and overall it was well worth it. I will do the good and the not so good.
1. Getting into the unloading area---tough to do, so many were trying to check in at the same time, we were told to move our truck, so we had to walk farther with our luggage cart. I wish it was roomier in there but we got unloaded pretty fast and had to go find a parking place til we got checked in. If you are able, I would advise having someone with you who is a good driver and can do this for you while you check in.
2. Luggage carts were hard to find at check in time, so we had to wait for someone to bring one back.
3. Checking in, hubby stayed with the luggage while I went and got our room keys and checked in, had to walk up those steps after a 10 hour car ride, but it was fast and our room was ready, we took our stuff right up and got into our room quickly.
4. The elevators!!! Of all the not so good, this is probably my biggest peeve about this hotel. They are too crowded, too slow, the floor is mostly wet, they stop too much between floors, while we were there, the doors wouldnt open at times. It would be nice if they had designated elevators only for transporting luggage, and one for guests use.
5. Parking!!! of all the not so good, this is my second biggest peeve. Parking spots are available across the street, and there are some that are mere feet from the hotel, however, those are never empty and most of the time the first section of parking spaces are full and so you have to park pretty far away. the spots can be tough to maneuver in a larger vehicle, so just be careful and hopefully you will get lucky and find a good one.
6. The room, we were on the 9th floor and our view was great, we stayed in the Magnolia side, which is the "older" side, but everything was just as good as new. With the exception of the air conditioning in the main, living, room. I dont know about the other rooms, but in ours, it just never seemed to get very cool in that room. The kitchen was great, although, not as well stocked as the hotel we stayed in previously. Bring with you, coffee filters, trash bags, and for our room, we needed a sink stopper as ours didnt work, there is no dishwasher, so we had to run the water to do our dishes. But that is a small thing. We had pots and pans, coffee and drinking cups, dishes, utensils and a toaster, microwave. and a good ice maker in the freezer.
Overall, I would rate the kitchen efficiency at a 8 out of 10.
7. The balcony---ours had two plastic dollar store type chairs, but it was roomy and we brought a third chair out from the bedroom. We had a very good view of the pier and could see very far up the beach.
8. The beds--last year, about 5 minutes after arriving in our room, in a different hotel, I was regretting the beds before I even slept in them. But the beds in SB are big and comfy, I slept like a baby every night and they have plenty of cover. and you will need it if your room is anything like ours, 915, the air in that bedroom froze us out!!! sure enough made up for the lack of good ac in the other room.
9. the room was clean, and well stocked with towels and toiletries, lots of space for clothes, a closet and at least 6 drawers, a nightstand between beds.
10.The electrical outlets---one more of my not so good examples. two of the outlets would not hold a cord, such as my laptop charger and my phone charger, I had to go in other rooms and check the outlets til I found one that would hold and not the big heavy cords, just your standard size cords. The one between the beds sparked and popped a little when I plugged into it so I was a little scared to use it.
11. the jacuzzi tub worked great and was very clean. I was worried about that after reading a bad review, but I had zero problems or complaints, great water pressure in the shower as well.
12. Overall the rooms were a 8 out of 10, outlet issues, not too cold air and lack of many channels on tv. But we werent in the room that much to watch tv anyway. Had a few minor glitches with the wifi, but overall we had good cellphone service and good wifi.

Now for the hotel----
1. the pools- there are 2 outdoor pools and an indoor pool, along with the lazy river pool and a kids pool with a water fountain. along with two, maybe three hot tubs.
They were all clean and the area around the pools was clean and taken care of.
However, one rule of the hotel was not to leave your towels, etc on the beach chairs as a way of holding them, however, every morning as soon as the pools opened, people did just that. I wached one lady lay down towels and other items, to hold at least 4 or 5 chairs. Then she left.
So, get there early if you want a chair, or else you will be left sitting on the pool side or ground.
The pools were all very crowded almost every time I passed by them, early am and late pm, very crowded.
2.The staff seemed pretty friendly, with the exception of one young man at the desk early one morning when I went by to check on something and asked about how to get out to the pool area, he made it known in a not so friendly way that the pool was closed, I told him I was wanting to walk down to the beach, so he told me how to go another way. He wasnt rude, just seemed as though I had disturbed him and he was annoyed about it.
The cleaning staff were nice, and helpful, although I found one to be a little too flirty with my husband!!!
But, they brought clean towels and left us extra trash bags when we asked, they vacuum and clean the bathroom daily, but only change the bed linens once while we were there, but that was ok.
3. The fitness room had several treadmills and a stairstepper machine and a weight machine and I am not sure what else, it looks alot bigger in the pics, but it has mirrors, it really isnt very big at all but the equipment is new and works well.
4. the laundry room was a let down, there were no change machines and so I had to go outside of the hotel to get change to do laundry, and detergent and fab soft, bring your own, its 1.50 in the vending machine.
5. coffee is served in the lobby, but in small styrofoam cups and it isnt very good, I made coffee in our room and would really have liked to see a small breakfast cart maybe in the lobby, that is just a suggestion, as the nearest breakfast place is dunkin donuts or hardees which you can walk to, but we had our breakfast, along with our coffee in the room.
Access to the beach is great, and there is a place with a water hose to wash the sand off when you come into the courtyard.
The hotel looks nice from the outside and the view from both your room balcony and the windows in the hallways is great, we could see all the way out to the main strip.
The one complaint I had about the beach itself, was that one morning after having set up our chairs, etc, the patrol came by and moved the cones and then the lifeguard told us we had to move we were in between cones.
I dont know what that was all about but they moved the cones only after we sat up.
Outside the hotel----
1. General store directly across the street, a little pricey, but then pretty much everything at MB is and the store has pretty much the essentials, condiments for cooking, water, beer, wine, lotions, aspirin, etc.
2. Beach wear stores located very close for items you might forget, swimsuits, etc.
3. A beach bar right next door, with live music at night that we could hear from our balcony.
4. ice cream shop close by.
5. pizza places that deliver
6. the amusment parks and water park is right next door, you can walk right over to them, the boardwalk is about a mile walking distance and Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, all within a few mins walk.
7. the streets are narrow and crowded all hours of the night, so just be cautious, watch for pedestrians and traffic and remember its a tight turn into the unloading area of the hotel, so just watch for traffic.
I do recommend this hotel and hope if you choose to stay here, you have as good a time as my family did.
Would I stay here again???
probably.
I chose this hotel due to its close proximity to the water and amusement parks, but keep in mind, the noise from these places isnt bad at all inside your room.
Fireworks at night, wednesdays, from the pier, and the view was perfect from our balcony.
The last thing I can tell you is, when choosing a hotel, ask yourself what it is you want the most,
If its a comfortable bed, a great view, good pools, cool air, friendly atmosphere and convinence to stores and attractions, then SB is the one for you. If its a hotel bar, breakfast, or a restaurant and gift shop inside, close parking and easier access from the street, then you might want to reconsider.

So, overall I give Sandy Beach an 8 out of a possible 10.

Room Tip: I was in room 915, the view was great, but I think the views would have been better from about 917 o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank kyval_67
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Charity the front desk gal was so awesome. Great customer service all areas. Thank you for such a great experience. Charity had me in tears with her exceptional customer service after having a terrible experience from Sands ocean Resort. She worked magic to find us a room and my parents a room on very short notice. Outstanding, caring and nice employees including a very helpful maintence guy and a courteous maid. Highly recommend this resort.. loved the pools, the location and beach! !!

• Stayed: June 2014
billfishmi, Public Relations Manager at Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

kkgrin,

We are pleased you found Charity awesome and our staff helpful! We are glad that you had a great experience and it is our pleasure to make your VACATION. Everyone at Sandy Beach Resort is there to make sure that your vacation is an enjoyable one.

See you again soon!
Sandy Beach

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Currently sitting on the balcony of the 19the floor of the Palmetto building at Sandy beach and I honestly can't imagine a better view!! The room is very clean and cozy. Iam on a family trip with 3 children and 2 adults and the 1bedroom palmetto is more thanks enough room for us! This is our first time at the beach and the kids and I couldn't be more pleased with the surroundings! The views, The pools, The beach, The staff, The convenience, Everything! Definitely will be recommending this place and we will definitely be back!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Loving003,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review for Sandy Beach Resort. There is nothing better for us than surpassing your expectations! For those that do not mind heights, the 19th floor offers unparalleled views of the ocean and of Myrtle Beach.

We do have great views, great rooms and a great staff!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here 4th of July weekend! We got there early and they would not let us check in early or try to accommodate! We traveled 10 hours to beat huricane author but they didn't care and was not trying to get is into a room any faster! The wifi was down most of our stay! The parking is across the street and horrible trying to find a place! The staff including the managers were just rude and didn't want to go out of there way to be nice or helpful! The maid service was excellent!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank cooperdamron

cooperdamnron,

Thanks for staying with us and leaving us a review. We are glad you had a safe trip home. Check-in time at the Sandy Beach Resort is at 4 PM. We cannot unfortunately promise your room will be ready until then.On holiday weekend's particularly we are very busy with check-in and check-out's. I promise you that we do our very best for every guest to try and get them in as early as possible. We are here at Sandy Beach Resort to make sure your vacation goes as smoothly as possible and we get you in as quickly as possible. It is our aim to get you in your room as soon as we can but sometimes it takes until 4 PM to get your room ready and clean up to the quality we promise at Sandy Beach.

Our staff is always helpful in assisting every guest at check-in. I am sorry for the inconvenience that occurred with your early check-in. We hope to see you again and thank you for staying with us!

Thanks

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Sandy Beach is just like the pictures on the website. Room 512 was like brand new with an awesome view! Beach front and pool front. Every single person who works there is very nice and professional. The whole place is very clean and well kept. Thanks to everyone at Sandy Beach for making our vacation so pleasant!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lovinthabeach
billfishmi, Front Office Manager at Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Lovinthabeach,

Thank You for your review. Yes you are correct that the pictures of our room types are exactly what you get when you check in. All of our employees are helpful and courteous so that your stay is enjoyable! A picture is worth a "thousand words" and our rooms are just like the pictures.

See you again soon!