“A little dissapointing...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
RI
“A little dissapointing...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Based on the positive reviewes, I was excited about our upcoming stay at this hotel. Check in was a breeze but disappointment set in upon checking into the room. The carpeting was so soiled and stained I could not take my shoes off and walk barefoot. On the otherhand, the location of the hotel was excellent. It was right across the street from Family Kingdom amusement park. It made for a lively atmosphere in the evenings. The indoor and outdoor pools were clean and plentiful. Towels on empty chairs was an issue which went unchecked. Security was also a factor at this hotel, the main doors are not locked after hours, anyone off the street could access the hotel and come right up to your hotel room door.

Room Tip: Request a modern updated room, higher floors have better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Poolou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I was disappointed this year because the rooms and hotel overall was not as clean as previous years. The room was dirty at check-in and the furniture just didn't seem or feel clean. It's not often that I won't walk around barefoot in a hotel but I wouldn't this time. The pool areas were littered with cigarette butts as was the area near the elevators at the driveway. The hallways on the 6th floor were always filthy. Every time I stepped onto the balcony, I smelled cigarette smoke. People openly smoked at the pool as well. Maybe it's time to increase the penalty for smoking on the property from $250 to $500. I think some smokers just consider the penalty as an additional vacation "tax" and it's worth it to them so they can smoke while vacationing. This is the 4th time I've stayed and I'm not sure I'll return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Levy799
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in room 408 from July 29 to August 5. I left a large makeup bag hanging in the back of the bathroom door. I have called on three different occasions and staff hasn't been helpful. Would like a manager to contact me. I will pay for shipping expenses. Please contact.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Jennifer C
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We spent our summer vacation at Sandy Beach Resort. We drove down from the Toronto area and gave ourselves 2 full days to get there but we were still anxious to get checked in once we arrived. As other people have mentioned, the area where you can pull in to unload and get into the elevators, can get crowded, however I never thought it was an issue. Certainly not worth worrying about. In fact, we were always able to get a good parking spot in the lot right across the street and had no problem carrying our bags from there. Most of the time you are going in and out from the parking lot which is very easy to get around in. The location was great for kids. We had the amusement park right across the street and could easily walk down the boardwalk to get to the ferris wheel and other "touristy" attractions if we wanted to. The hotel is right on the beach so you can go out the door anytime and have your toes in the sand. We got an oceanfront, 2 bedroom suite and it was great. We could look out over the beach and ocean and watch the tides come in and out. The room was spacious and clean. The first night, we had some noisy neighbours but the hotel can't be faulted for that. The rest of the stay was quiet considering it was the middle of summer and the hotel was very busy. We also had a great view of the fireworks that go off from the pier every Wednesday night. We were on the 12th floor in room 1212 and it was right across from the elevator which was good. The kitchen is great but how much cooking do you do on vacation? for us, not much. It was more about snacks and breakfast food and was great for that. The laundry was great too. I loved coming home with all the clothes already cleaned. My daughters loved the lazy river and the kids play area so they were definitely kept busy with that and there are lots of things to do in the area. You can't throw a golf ball without hitting at least 3 mini golf places which my girls loved. Overall this is a great place to stay which gives you a great location and great value. I am very picky about hotels and this one is a winner.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle P
Robbinsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just stayed at Sandy Beach from Aug 1 - Aug 2,2014. We had a great view from two balconies. The service was great, couldn't have asked for more. Very clean, everything was up to date throughout the resort. Loved having indoor pools and hot tubs, especially since it rained durning our stay. Convenient to shops, grocery store, and the fair. Can see why they are rated best on the beach. Will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
6 Thank brandylhooer
Athens, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We visited the last week of July 2014 and had a wonderful experience. There were 5 of us, two adults and three children. We had a one bedroom/one bath on the new Palmetto side with a beautiful ocean view on the 5th floor. There were two queen size beds in the bedroom and a wall bed in the living room. There was a small table with 4 chairs that worked well for meal times. The couch was small, but decent and the room was clean. We had no problems with water pressure or temperature in the bathroom or kitchen. Another plus was the washer and dryer! This allowed us to wash and dry beach towels and clothes while we slept and/or were out on the beach. The kitchen was stocked with most of the utensils/glasses/dishes we needed and served our purposes well. I recommend bring paper towels as there were none available.

The unloading/loading area does get crowded at times, so I recommend arriving after the check-in time. We didn't have any problem when we checked in at 9pm, but had problems when we came back from a grocery shopping trip the next day and arrived at 4:15pm. I will definitely avoid that time if we vacation here again.

The pool was clean and there was easy access to the beach, which made the trip to and from much quicker than I envisioned.

We did not have any problems and I highly recommend this hotel. I would stay here again without question.

Room Tip: Palmetto (new side) seem better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank micayla75
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I will start by saying first and foremost I am very very very EXTREMELY picky when it comes to where my family and I rest our heads on vacation! So I was determined to find a resort that will provide our comforts! I was pleasantly surprised after searching and reviewing endlessly. . Sandy Beach and TripAdvisor did not fail!!!! We have gone on vacation to the beach several times and could never find "the place" but OMG this is it!!!! I'm a tad late writing my review but I had to make sure If I review no other place, this one would have to be done!!

Ok...sorry for all the rant... :) Now to the review. 1) THE ROOM...I want to include what TYPE of room we had..when I read the reviews on TripAdvisor most of them did not include the "type" (suite, 2bedrm, penthouse ect.) I think it's helpful so that a very analytical person like myself, can in vision the reviewers comments especially if there are no pictures. . (Like me, I couldn't get it to wrk from my phone) We(2 adults 2 children) had the 2bedrm 2 bath suite w/ extra Sideview in the "newer" building- Palmetto. And yes regardless of what anyone says the newer building has the better, more tasteful rooms (just being honest). Upon walking in...mouth opens automatically Bc everything is gorgeous!! Long hallway, 1st room to the left w/ 2 plush queen size beds (very spacious) and further down to the right is the master w/a king bed and it's own bath-all of which is spacious as well..the bath omg! (Amazing!) Jetted jacuzzi tubes ahhhh! There was also a 2nd bath for the kids, that was extremely nice!! Everything was great quality! The kitchen was spacious. .included microwave, stove, nice counters and space as well as dishwasher and big frig. The washing machine and dryer was located by the kitchen.
2) THE VIEW.. the rooms with the "extra sideview" are on the higher levels which means you're guaranteed an AMAZING view!! Our view when opening our curtains were basically panoramic!!! Waking up to that view in the morning was absolutely breathtaking!!
3) PARKING.. now.. to the only reason I didn't give it a 5 on the rating scale. It was absolutely ridiculous. . There is a small and I mean small congested area that you try to park and unload at the same time. Meanwhile, this is in the same area that the elevators are letting off guests that are trying to get to the pool which also is in this area. Just simply... TOO CONGESTED!! Not to mention once you're finally able to hurriedly unload your luggage you have to then park across the street in an uncovered parking lot. Yes a parking lot. I would suggest if possible, arriving later in the evening.
4) STAFF.. hmmm..well in my opinion it was good. They don't really talk much? Lol! I know that sounds unecessary. .. but even though I am a chill and relaxed person at the beach doesn't mean I wouldn't like a courteous convo.. like "how's your stay going!?" and "how are you today!" Ya know, the regular? As well.. From what I was told by one of the staff when I phoned for more towels was "were somewhat of a self serve resort" and that they don't offer drinking glasses!!? Like regular everyday cups!! I had to go down and get the towels from the front desk and had to buy papercups to sum it up.

*The last two things I will say does not write off this resort by any means!! I just want to give the most honest review I can. I know everywhere has its flaws and to our family the pros out weighed the cons here. The CLEANLINESS, spaciousness,pools, lazyriver comforts of home feeling the room gave, as well, the location was near every attraction! There was a waterpark literally next door!!
If you're looking for the most bang for your buck at an excellent rate, clean rooms, amazing views, and a relaxing stay for you and your family. . this is IT!!!!
Would love it if their was a nice bar or lounge area!! And I sware I am not anyone working for any company..this is a legit review from a very opinionated guest! ;)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family