“Glad we chose Sandy Beach!”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New York
“Glad we chose Sandy Beach!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just got back from a week stay at the Sandy Beach Resort. I was looking for an ocean front room that was affordable and I found it! We stayed in the jacuzzi queen suite on the "older" side. A few of the reviews concerned me - but we had no problems. The resort is conveniently located right next to the Family Kingdom Amusement park, Ocean Water Sports (we went para-sailing and rode the banana boat), and is less than a mile to the boardwalk (we went down one night and went to the arcade - the kids (15 and 18) loved it) and you can see fireworks on Tuesday night that go off the pier. There are restaurants with-in walking distance and there is a small grocery store right across the rode (they had everything we needed for breakfast and lunch) and a souvenir store too (we bought chairs there). Parking is free right across the street. There are a few pools and hot tubs (they are typically crowded, but clean) and a small lazy river - very small - usually had young kids floating in it. I have read complaints about the elevators - well, we stayed on the "older" side and there is another set of elevators over there that I think many people are not aware of - we never had any problems with the elevators (we were on the 4th floor). My only "complaint" about the room is that you walk right into the bedroom (I think in the newer side there is an entrance way) - but this way the balcony is off the living area. The kitchen was complete with everything we needed and the living area was sufficient in size. The bathroom was a bit small (little counter top space) for a family of four but we managed. The cable was a bit spotty and sometimes the wifi was slow - but most of the time we were able to get the service we needed. The staff were all friendly from check-in, to maid service, to pool attendants. The pool area is well kept (clean, towels, ample chairs, hoses to rinse off, etc), the beach was very nice and well kept too (there is limited space where you can put your own umbrella because they can not go in front of the ones the lifeguards rent). Our room was not luxurious by any means (even a bit "worn" in some places), but it didn't smell (a big pet peeve of mine!) it had all the amenities we wanted, it was conveniently located and we were ocean front for a very reasonable price!! We would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank CentralNewYorker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Prince George, Virginia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Room had kitchenette, table with 4 chairs, pull down bed and couch. Couch is not a pull out bed. Beds were very hard. Housekeeping stinks! Beautiful view from balcony of beach. There were several pools and hot tubs,but they were not cleaned regularly.The water park needs repairs. Not much staff in the hotel.

2 Thank Pepsimommi
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort from August 1 through August 8. We stayed in the king suite on the new side, three bedrooms and two baths. We payed over three thousand dollars for our stay. The room was nice and clean I had two problems while I stayed their. First the cleaning staff did a great job cleaning or room the first three days or so, as the days went on not so good it would be around six o'clock and they would never show up so we had to keep calling the front desk to have them to come clean our rooms and bring in fresh clean towels. With a family of six we use the towels daily and when you go take a shower you want a clean dry towel and there weren't any. With the amount we played I didn't think we should have to call the front to desk to have the cleaning staff to come clean our room that was ridiculous I thought. Second the parking is a huge issue it's all the way across the street and half the time their were no places to park. The third and final thing is the elevators stayed busy and wet all the time so it took forever to get anywhere. I don't think we will be staying here again it wasn't bad but with the money we paid we could've stayed at an oceanfront house and have a lot more privacy.

1 Thank Tabitha1991
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We just returned from a one week stay at the Sandy Beach, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I am very picky about hotels, so booking a hotel without actually seeing it in person was a little scary for me. I apologize if this is a little wordy - just want to provide as much info as possible...

Pros: Location, location, location! I loved that we weren't right in the boardwalk area (we noticed a lot of cops and shady characters in that neighborhood) but we were close enough that we could walk there during the day. And you can't beat the price for the gorgeous oceanfront rooms! We were literally right on top of the water - we were in the newer Palmetto building on the 14th floor. It was also comforting to see security guards walking around on the premises - particularly in the parking lot at night.

Cons: The elevators were not reliable - AT ALL! One elevator was completely non-functional for the first 2 days of the trip, and we got stuck on the other two elevators on two separate occasions. Luckily - the elevators got stuck on a floor, so we were able to exit. Even though it is a non-smoking hotel, we noticed many guests smoking on the balconies. They were actually hiding behind towels that were hung on the railing so they wouldn't get caught. I am very sensitive to smoke, so this was extremely frustrating when we were trying to enjoy the view from the balcony. Housekeeping did not come until after 4 PM multiple times during our stay. This was troublesome for us because we are usually coming in from the beach at this time to get ready for dinner. They told us that they clean the check out rooms first - but the other guests should not be penalized. We had to request several clean towels from the front desk for this reason. And the only other negative thing I noticed was there were a lot of dirty finger prints on the walls and doors, and there was sticky stuff on the kitchen floor - like someone spilled juice or something (it was there the entire week).

Some other tips: The lifeguards set up the chairs/umbrellas for rentals super early in the AM. If you want a front row spot on the beach, you have set up early. If not - you have obstructed views on the beach (and half the time - they weren't even rented!). There really aren't any good restaurants within walking distance, so don't expect to be able to park your car for the week.

Overall, I really did enjoy this resort, and I would definitely stay here again. I just hope the elevators and smoking situations are addressed!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Palmetto building - upper floor!
2 Thank jovipagirl
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I, along with my son, daughter-in-law and grandkids enjoyed our stay at the Sandy Beach Resort. Eventhough it rained off and on during our first few days, we had a good time because the resort sits on the beach, right past the pool area. We could easily run in and out to the beach as the weather allowed. Plus the resort has 2 outdoor pools, an indoor pool, an indoor lazy river, a covered kiddy play pool area and several hottubs. This allowed us to have a lot of water fun regardless of the weather. Our oceanfront balcony allowed us to see our son and his family in the pool and on the beach even when we were not out there. We stayed in the Palmetto tower, which is the newer side of the building, in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath oceanfront unit. It had everything we needed including a washer/dryer, full kitchen with pots, pans, dishes, dishwasher, stove, microwave and more. Housekeeping even brought new dish soap each day. But note, we were a family of 6 and the dishes were sets of 4. So we bought paper products. Fortunately, there is a general store right across the street and a full supermarket a short drive away. We were very close to everything. The boardwalk starts just 2 short blocks from the resort and it is an easy walk to the more lively, commercial section of the boardwalk (about 1/2 mile up). There is so much to do in the area, we had a hard time deciding what to do first. The resort had free parking across the street from the resort. Eventhough, we drove to many nearby places (you have to check out "Broardway at the Beach") we opted to walk to the downtown area to save on parking fees. All in all, eventhough the furnishings might not be super 5 star (everything was good - no complaints) the resort staff were 5 star friendly and we had 5 star fun!

Room Tip: Request a suite in the newer, Palmetto tower. We were on the 4th floor which was great -high enough...
1 Thank kadylady
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. Location of the hotel is great right on the ocean and close to everything. For the price we paid though I was really disappointed with the room. We stayed in the queen suite and it was very outdated and not very clean. shower curtain had stains on it, headboards were dirty, mattresses were hard and old , comforter was lumpy, kitchen was outdated also. Not sure if the more expensive suites in this hotel are more updated but these are not. We were also not happy that the oceanfront balcony had a railing that went all the way up so you had to look at the ocean through the rails. Overall it was okay for us because we weren't in the room that much anyway. But if your really particular about accommodations I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Busymama6
Hanover, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My wife and I spend the winter and early spring months at Sandy Beach, with our children and grandchildren joining us on Canadian school holidays. The hotel security for ourselves and our grandchildren was excellent, our rooms were exceptionally clean, and the level of friendliness and overall competence of the staff was tremendous. We have already reserved for next year, and are looking forward to our holiday! Gerard

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are excellent- bright, clean, and the sound of the waves will help put you to sleep...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family