“Todd S. North carolina. best place to stay in myrtle beach”
Review of Sandy Beach Resort

Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2014

just got back from staying at sandy beach .had a great time the staff there go out of there way to see that everthing is perfect.which it always is.ready to go back in october for another week.the management team are very good.the rooms are always clean and very nice.

Room Tip: all the rooms are good have a good view of the ocean
2  Thank TODD S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,637)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Have stayed here for many years. The Palmetto (newer section) units are so nice and I've never been disappointed. Unit is always clean, roomy and linens are great. Our week stay was great and I never enjoy having to leave!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went to Sandy Beach resort again in August and have to say this is the best place to stay in Myrtle beach. Great hotel with great management team. Specific shout out to Jim Bullard for everything you do. Great pools, easy walk to ocean and if you have kids they have a great amusement park across the street and just down the street is the board walk. Love this place.

Room Tip: all the rooms are good that face the ocean
1  Thank Todd B
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just got back from a week stay at the Sandy Beach Resort. I was looking for an ocean front room that was affordable and I found it! We stayed in the jacuzzi queen suite on the "older" side. A few of the reviews concerned me - but we had no problems. The resort is conveniently located right next to the Family Kingdom Amusement park, Ocean Water Sports (we went para-sailing and rode the banana boat), and is less than a mile to the boardwalk (we went down one night and went to the arcade - the kids (15 and 18) loved it) and you can see fireworks on Tuesday night that go off the pier. There are restaurants with-in walking distance and there is a small grocery store right across the rode (they had everything we needed for breakfast and lunch) and a souvenir store too (we bought chairs there). Parking is free right across the street. There are a few pools and hot tubs (they are typically crowded, but clean) and a small lazy river - very small - usually had young kids floating in it. I have read complaints about the elevators - well, we stayed on the "older" side and there is another set of elevators over there that I think many people are not aware of - we never had any problems with the elevators (we were on the 4th floor). My only "complaint" about the room is that you walk right into the bedroom (I think in the newer side there is an entrance way) - but this way the balcony is off the living area. The kitchen was complete with everything we needed and the living area was sufficient in size. The bathroom was a bit small (little counter top space) for a family of four but we managed. The cable was a bit spotty and sometimes the wifi was slow - but most of the time we were able to get the service we needed. The staff were all friendly from check-in, to maid service, to pool attendants. The pool area is well kept (clean, towels, ample chairs, hoses to rinse off, etc), the beach was very nice and well kept too (there is limited space where you can put your own umbrella because they can not go in front of the ones the lifeguards rent). Our room was not luxurious by any means (even a bit "worn" in some places), but it didn't smell (a big pet peeve of mine!) it had all the amenities we wanted, it was conveniently located and we were ocean front for a very reasonable price!! We would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank CentralNewYorker
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Room had kitchenette, table with 4 chairs, pull down bed and couch. Couch is not a pull out bed. Beds were very hard. Housekeeping stinks! Beautiful view from balcony of beach. There were several pools and hot tubs,but they were not cleaned regularly.The water park needs repairs. Not much staff in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Pepsimommi
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort from August 1 through August 8. We stayed in the king suite on the new side, three bedrooms and two baths. We payed over three thousand dollars for our stay. The room was nice and clean I had two problems while I stayed their. First the cleaning staff did a great job cleaning or room the first three days or so, as the days went on not so good it would be around six o'clock and they would never show up so we had to keep calling the front desk to have them to come clean our rooms and bring in fresh clean towels. With a family of six we use the towels daily and when you go take a shower you want a clean dry towel and there weren't any. With the amount we played I didn't think we should have to call the front to desk to have the cleaning staff to come clean our room that was ridiculous I thought. Second the parking is a huge issue it's all the way across the street and half the time their were no places to park. The third and final thing is the elevators stayed busy and wet all the time so it took forever to get anywhere. I don't think we will be staying here again it wasn't bad but with the money we paid we could've stayed at an oceanfront house and have a lot more privacy.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Tabitha1991
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We just returned from a one week stay at the Sandy Beach, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I am very picky about hotels, so booking a hotel without actually seeing it in person was a little scary for me. I apologize if this is a little wordy - just want to provide as much info as possible...

Pros: Location, location, location! I loved that we weren't right in the boardwalk area (we noticed a lot of cops and shady characters in that neighborhood) but we were close enough that we could walk there during the day. And you can't beat the price for the gorgeous oceanfront rooms! We were literally right on top of the water - we were in the newer Palmetto building on the 14th floor. It was also comforting to see security guards walking around on the premises - particularly in the parking lot at night.

Cons: The elevators were not reliable - AT ALL! One elevator was completely non-functional for the first 2 days of the trip, and we got stuck on the other two elevators on two separate occasions. Luckily - the elevators got stuck on a floor, so we were able to exit. Even though it is a non-smoking hotel, we noticed many guests smoking on the balconies. They were actually hiding behind towels that were hung on the railing so they wouldn't get caught. I am very sensitive to smoke, so this was extremely frustrating when we were trying to enjoy the view from the balcony. Housekeeping did not come until after 4 PM multiple times during our stay. This was troublesome for us because we are usually coming in from the beach at this time to get ready for dinner. They told us that they clean the check out rooms first - but the other guests should not be penalized. We had to request several clean towels from the front desk for this reason. And the only other negative thing I noticed was there were a lot of dirty finger prints on the walls and doors, and there was sticky stuff on the kitchen floor - like someone spilled juice or something (it was there the entire week).

Some other tips: The lifeguards set up the chairs/umbrellas for rentals super early in the AM. If you want a front row spot on the beach, you have set up early. If not - you have obstructed views on the beach (and half the time - they weren't even rented!). There really aren't any good restaurants within walking distance, so don't expect to be able to park your car for the week.

Overall, I really did enjoy this resort, and I would definitely stay here again. I just hope the elevators and smoking situations are addressed!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Palmetto building - upper floor!
2  Thank jovipagirl