“Very nice”

Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lancaster, Sc
“Very nice”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

The Sandy Beach was excellent as soon as we checked in. No issues or waiting for anything. It was perfect!! The rooms were beautiful and modern. We will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Illinois
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We had rented the 2 BR condo with the city/ocean view and it was great. It did look exactly like the pictures. After reading on here about the rooms being noisy by the elevators, we asked for a room away from the elevators and an upper level to avoid the pool noise too. We were on the 18th floor and it was beautiful. Our room was clean and housekeeping came everyday to empty the trash, change towels, and make the beds. The beds were very comfortable and we slept great. The couch bed is a typical pull out bed and not that comfortable. If you are a very light sleeper, you may have some trouble sleeping. You can hear the traffic noise on busy Ocean Blvd. even up on the 18th floor. There were 4 adults and 2 kids in our group and we had plenty of room.

The pool area was ok. Since the kiddie pool is in the shade, it is pretty cold. There also seems to be a shortage of chairs around the pool. And as other people mentioned, guests will put their stuff on the chairs and leave it there even when they leave the pool area, we watched people do it. There are chairs and umbrellas on the beach, but you have to rent them either daily or weekly. We didn't do that, we just sat on our towels. The parking across the street really wasn't that bad. Yes, people going to Family Kingdom can also park in one of the lots, but their is a guard there that does save spots for Sandy Beach guests so, make sure you have your hang tag in your car.

Just a couple of negatives, we didn't have nearly enough cookware to cook a meal for 6 people. We only had one pot and one frying pan. However, when I stopped at the front desk and asked them, they were able to give me a few more pieces to use. The clothes line in our bathroom was broken and we only had a hairdryer in one of the bathrooms. I would have also liked an alarm clock in the bedroom, but the hotel did have a wake up call service. Also, there really needs to be a hotel staff person monitoring the pools. We had people playing with a ball in the pool and hit both me and my daughter in the face. There just seems to be a need for some control there.

Overall, I really had a great time there and would go back. You really need a car though, we drove to different things everyday.

Welch, WV
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We have been staying at the sandy beach for a few yrs. now. We are very picky about where we stay but we never consider any other resorts. We were fortunate enough to get to stay 2 wks this yr. The resort is as close to home as you can get. The rooms are spacious and gorgeous. The staff is wonderful. esp. a guy named "Ken". He was so helpful. Most websites make their rooms look great online but when you get there you're dissapointed because the rooms look nothing like they did on the websites. Well, that's not the case at this resort. What you see online is exactly what you get!!!!!!!!!!!! We love this resort and we are looking forward to our stay next summer. If you want to be totally satisfied at myrtle beach don't hesitate pick this resort. If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sdmccoy_1
Rockingham, NC
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This is our 3 rd year staying at this hotel we come for 10 days at the 4th and everything is right there the Family Kingdom, food and ice cream shops water slides not to mention the pools and hot tubs at the motel. The staff was great made us all feel at home. I have 3 teenagers and they had the best time. I felt very safe since security was there in front and cruising the parking lots just in case. We will be back again next year and can't wait until then. we also have several families that come with us to help me celebrate my birthday on the 4th

Upstate NY
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My family, wife and 4 year old son, really enjoyed our stay at the Sandy Beach Resort. We had the angle ocean view 1 bedroom suite in the Palmetto Tower (newest building). We found the pictures here on trip advisor were current and accurate. This is not a super luxury resort and not a beach front motel, a step above something like a Hampton Inn with a condo style floor plan.

Our room, 1505, was very roomy with a king size bed in the bedroom and a Murphy bed in the living area. We use a sleep number bed at home and were surprised at how comfortable both of the beds were. The room was clean! The furnishings were nice, showing some minor use but everything looked good and functioned properly. There is a full kitchen (normal size refridgerator, compact dishwasher, compact oven/cooktop, small microwave) that saved us $$ and crowds by eating some meals in. There is a dining table for 4, another chair, love seat, coffee table and end tables. The bathroom is good size, but just short of roomy with a jacuzzi tub and even some storage cabinets. It's too bad that the towels are hotel standard rough. We found the bathroom counter top too high for our son to wash his hands by himself and should have brought his step stool. The lighting throughout the suite could have been a little brighter. My wife over packed and found the bedroom drawer space just a little shy of what we needed, there is a closet in the bedroom, cabinets in the bathroom and more storage in the TV stand. Speaking of TV, 2 flat panels with normal inputs and remote controls. We were able to attach our portable DVD player for our son. The balcony was on the small side, barely room for the 2 plastic chairs that are out there, although not an issue for us with our little guy. The orientation of the sliding glass door/balcony gave a fantastic view of the Wednesday night, 9:30PM, fireworks that are launched from the end of the pier. The daytime views from the balcony are also good, just not of the pool complex or beach for the Sandy Beach Resort. The in room high speed internet is wired only, the only wireless is in the lobby. I knew this ahead of time and still forgot to bring a CAT 5 cable, the front desk was able to loan me one. I would rate the room itself 4.7 out of 5.

The public areas of the hotel are nicely done and in good shape. The lobby and check in are on the second floor with a drive through area on the ground floor for check in/out. Every time I passed through the drive through, which was multiple times per day, I saw a security guard keeping things orderly and assisting guests with the check in process except for Sunday morning when I was checking out. The complaints about the luggage trolleys is valid, there are not enough for the amount of rooms. I found the security guards assistance at check in most helpful, he showed me where to leave my car, answered all my questions before I had the chance to ask them and made the process very easy. The new building would benefit from a 4th elevator, at peak times the wait can be somewhat annoying. Don't let your children run into the elevators either, the floors always seemed to be wet from dripping bathing suits. There are numerous pools, hot tubs, a lazy river and a kiddie pool/play area. We did not use the indoor lazy river or the pool and hot tub in front of the older building. The newer pool and hot tub are in great shape and cleaned/maintained every morning. The kiddie pool is mostly under the building which ends up being a dual edged sword. The little ones can play the day away without getting cooked, but the water doesn't get very warm from the lack of sunshine. I did find that it warmed up some when the jets were turned on, it didn't seem to affect my son much most likely because he never stopped moving. If you are a sun worshipper and want a spot by the pool for the day you will need to put your towel on a lounge chair early in the morning. I saw people at 6am putting towels out. There are nice beach chairs and umbrellas set up along the high tide line but don't belong to the hotel, these are available for rent at $30 for the first day and discounted the longer you reserve them for. I didn't care for the way that these for rent chairs take up all the perfect beach spots leaving the rest of us to take up residence behind them and peer between them to get a glimpse of the ocean. Not the hotels fault, it must be a MB thing. I was pretty lucky in regards to parking, only having to park towards the back of the lot once. From our 15th floor elevator lobby, with an great nighttime view of the Family Kingdom Amusement Park, I was able to use the remote start every time but once to have a cooler car waiting for us. I had no trouble using the parking ever, the trees and decorative plantings take away from the maximum available spaces and create some odd dead ends, but it doesn't take much to get used to the flow of the parking area. We had very little need to interact with the staff, but they were polite, friendly and professional the few times we did. I have read some complaints of noise in regards to Sandy Beach, but did not experience any noise problems. With the bedroom adjacent to the shared hallway I can see where inconsiderate guests could interrupt your sleep with bad, loud behavior. If you need to have the sliding glass door open on your balcony I can also see where noise could be an issue. There are large buildings close together to funnel street, pool area and ocean sounds up to the balconies. Overall I would rate the rest of the property a 4.2.

The area around the hotel is on the busy side, this is considered part of downtown MB. There is a good amount of street and foot traffic in front of the hotel. The good side is that there is plenty of things to do within a few blocks walking radius. You can get food at a Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly or Walmart Super Center within 2 miles of the hotel. There is a ton of restaurants, mini golf course and trinket shops in every direction. Bring a good map or GPS, MB streets don't run just north/south and east/west like most beach areas. They also have the streets named oddly, 2nd Ave S is a completely different street than 2nd Ave N. The surf in MB was gentle and the water was noticeably warmer than on the outer banks. My wife made some nice shell finds at low tide. The beach is groomed and trash bins emptied every morning. The beach and ocean in this area is possibly the best I have experienced.

If I could do it all over again, I would check in and out on a weekday, Friday through Sunday seemed to double the amount of people everywhere from the pools to the elevators to the roads, restaurants and golf courses. I would plan things opposite conventional wisdom, if it is great beach weather, go do that sightseeing thing that would be crushed during bad weather. The crowds can get unbearable but can be mostly avoided with a little planning. I prefer a lower key vacation experience than MB seems to offer in the summer, but may try again in the spring. If I were to return to MB I would put the Sandy Beach Resort on my short list of places to stay.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Javious_64
kentucky
Reviewed 11 July 2009

We had a wonderful time. The rooms were very clean and room service stayed right on top of towels, etc...The rooms are not 'gorgeous, fabulous', but they are very comfortable and with a three year old we didn't have to worry if he was going to destroy something.
We traveled with a three year old and he LOVED the kiddie pool. We had perfect beach access, could relax and enjoy the ocean right from our back door. The layout of the rooms are perfect. The full kitchen had everything you needed, cooking utensils..etc..
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and attentive to any request. This hotel has numerous pools, although getting a chair after noon time was almost impossible. The hotel is in a great location, so close to the pier. The pier has fireworks on Wednesday nights and we watched them from our balcony, it was a great view. We never had to wait long for elevators. Parking is across the street from the resort and you have to grab a spot early b/c it fills up quick. The lot is really close and very well lit. We loved this place and will stay here again next year.

1 Thank lilkymama
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I am very funny about hotels so we actually took a 5 hour drive to view this hotel. The front desk clerks were very helpful. They allowed us to see the room and view the hotel. It was beautiful so we decided to book it. We came back on June 27th with our teenaged sons (15 & 18) for our family vacation and stayed until July 2nd. We thought that by booking the week before July 4th it wouldn't be so crowded but it was. The room was very clean and we were happy as soon as we got situated but the longer we were there we realized there was a lot of young kids. No matter what time of the day we decided to go to the pool it was always crowded. The only pool that didn't stay crowed was the inside pool and I'm more than sure this was because this particular pool was sooooo cold out of the 3 they had. The elevators are slow so be patient when waiting for one. Parking is across the street but that wasn't really that big of a deal. The lobby is on the 2nd floor so be prepared when you get there. There were some really nice security guards who were very helpful from beginning to end. They also patrolled the lot across the street to make sure your vehicle was safe. The tubs are huge but ours kept clogging. The washer and dryer was wonderful. We were able to keep our clothes clean the entire time. The view from the lobby is great. You could spend most of your time just sitting there watching the ocean. The beach was wonderful and on our last night they shoot off fireworks which was really nice. All in all our stay was nice and check out was easy but I may not recommend it if you have older teenagers. Just fyi the chairs and umbrellas on the beach are not provided by the hotel. You have to rent them. Enjoy!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family