“This place should not only be shut down, it should be torn down”
Review of Budget Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Budget Inn
Ranked #153 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New York City, New York
“This place should not only be shut down, it should be torn down”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I accompanied a friend to Myrtle Beach for Bike week, he choose this hotel, i was disguested upon seeing the hotel, and when i saw the room i wanted to go back n sleep in the truck. I was greated by a water bug upon entering the room, the towels that i assume was suppose to be white was gray with stains, the room smell like nothing i can discribe. I was affraid to touch the microwave and the bathroom was a hot mess. There was stains on the wall and the color of the carpet was unknowed. I was affraid i will get bed bugs by the look of the bed. This is by far the worst place i have ever had to spend a night. The next day i called a friend who lived in the SC area and ask her to come get me, i left him there in that roach motel. I still cant believe he choose such a place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank kurkurlyk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I am a 22 year old and my Fiancée is 20 years old. We came down here yesterday to find a job here on the Beach and we're new to South Carolina. We spotted this hotel as being affordable so we paid for the room and went and put our things in the room and charged our phones then went out doing job applications once we came in around 920pm we showered and found something on the towles and rags then once we were going to sleep we were going to sleep and my fiancée started itching but we didn't pay much attention to it until we fell asleep and I woke up itching first it was one bump so i woke my fiancee up and we talked about us both itching. Then we took the covers off the bed and saw what looks like blood stains or spots on the sheets. Then we just tried to go back to sleep but by the time I was on my way to sleep I started itching and scratching again then I turned on the lights and found More bumps and redness on my arms. So I got back up complaining about the itching and scratching and went on my phone to check the reviews on this motel Budget Inn 5 Ave N and found very bad reviews and some were talking about the bed bugs and uncleanness of this motel. And so I went up to the front desk around 1140pm and showed the women the bumps and redness and asking for a refund and was told by the women they can only give me another room, which happens to be right next door to the room we just left. Once we got into the room next door I was more cautious and checked the room and found a lot more issues like mold on the floor no battery in the fire alarm, blood on sheets little refrigerator rusty and unclean, cigarette butts in the tolite, broken glass and other things. So in the morning I will be calling the health department of SC to inspect this place and I recommend no one to come here just because the cheap price. Now me and my fiancée still can't sleep in this room next door cause its something that looks like blood and mold on the floor. I have asthma so does my fiancée.And I will be talking to the front desk again about a refund either way I'm still contacting the health department in the morning.

• Stayed March 2011
8 Thank mrmerchant22

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Luttrell, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 July 2010

This was our first trip to Myrtle Beach and we were very excited. We did not get to view the room in advance as there were people in the room until 3 pm. It costs us $109.00 for the one night even though the sign out front said $48 per night. But this is not about the money. There was a stove in our room that showed naked wiring right up the back of both sides on the range hood. The stove was very rusty,(to the point of don't touch for fear of a metal splinter. It also had not been cleaned in a very long time. Our microwave had something like mold growing in it. The refrigerator was also nasty with some kind of red and blue stuff in it. The bathroom sink was stained with rust and the shower was grotesque. I kept telling my granddaughter not to touch anything. We could not take showers here or even brush our teeth. I was afraid to pull back the comforter on the bed and look so we just lay across the bed and we did not even go to our room until the latest possible time because none of us wanted to be here. The hotel has a no refund policy so we were stuck 700 miles from home in this pig sty. The stairs that lead up to our room were also very dirty. They had not seen a broom since I don't know when. I asked the clerk if he was ever health inspected and he said no. I know that no health inspector would pass this place. It is a hazard waiting to happen. If I ever return to the beach, I will only stay on the ocean side. Our side of Ocean Blvd. seemed much like the slum areas that I have seen in my own state. Budget Inn at 504 N. Ocean Blvd. in Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 in my opinion is no budget at all and they need to "CLEAN IT UP"

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank pford41
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Let's just be real here: if you're checking into a place called the BUDGET INN, you kind of have to drop your expectations. Paid $60 for a room for one night and I don't regret it.

Upon entering the room, yes, it smells pretty musty - cigarettes, maybe some mildew. Not so bad. Febreze should do the trick if it's really bothering you.
All utilities and appliances - fridge, microwave, TV, sink, shower, toilet, AC - were in working order.
At first, the door did not lock and could be opened without a key card. However, we contacted the office and, though she wasn't the most sympathetic person, the woman inside was very quick in getting someone to help us.
Sheets appeared clean. No discernible evidence of bed bugs. No roaches or any other nasty critters either (and I checked through all the drawers and cabinets and nooks and crannies). Slept surprisingly well.
Walls, though a little scuffed up, were clean and not so dramatically stained (no "blood" or anything of that nature). The bathroom left a little to be desired, but wear flip-flops and you'll be fine.
Didn't use the pool, but it looked acceptable.
No crackheads worth noting.
Location is everything - almost beachfront - and though it's located along a strip of similar motels and hotels, fun things are walking distance.
No wifi here, but the Starbucks/Bayview across the street has it.

Overall, if you're looking for luxury or substantial comfort, keep looking. But for travelers on a budget, this place will certainly suffice.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We checked in here after staying at the Lighthouse Motel for a couple of nights. The Lighthouse is the MGM Grand compared to this place by the way, but their rates tripled because of the holiday. After checking in, and signing away any chance of getting out of our stay at the Budget Inn, we ventured to our room. Upon walking in, we noticed the overwhelming stench comparable to cat pee mixed with mold. As we take a closer look, we noticed our discolored/disfigured microwave was sitting on our bed, and our fridge was missing. We look outside and our mini fridge was tilted over and defrosting with brown liquids dripping out of it. We are still optimistic at this point, because it's a beautiful day, and we're at the beach. Also, it's not like we expected much out of the place, I mean come on now, it's the Budget Inn. Therefore, we deiced to go out and buy some beach supplies (lots of liquor after seeing the room) and come back and see if our room was done, and if our fridge was cleaned out and ready to go. We came back, and it wasn't. At this point, we had stuff we needed to get cold, and went to the front desk where they moved us to the room below. Walking into the room below we noticed it indeed had a much cleaner smell, so we decided to just accept it based on that alone. While we were out before we bought a bottle of Clorox Cleanup on a hunch that we may need it. Oh boy were we right. Taking a closer look at this room, we noticed chew spit on the walls, what looked like blood on the walls, mysterious brown stains all over the walls, and a carpet that was stained so many times the original color is unidentifiable. At least the fridge was working though, but the freezer did have red stains all through the ice in the freezer, and the fridge part smelled like old curry. We put a wash cloth over the red stains and wiped out the fridge, and that was okay to go, as long as your food is wrapped or bottled ha-ha. This was all before even looking in the bathroom. In the bathroom there was mold everywhere, and a hole in the wall that was stuffed with paper. In the shower, we saw mold, soap scum, and black mildew. We got our Clorox Cleanup and went to work. Mind you, we're young, extremely broke at this point, and just to be at the beach, and basically staying on the beach. My partner convinced me to just stick it out and we did. After we cleaned it up, it really wasn't all that bad, except for the room got a nasty case of flees the 2nd night, and half the light fixtures mysteriously stopped working. My partner and I slept on an air mattress on top of the bed, an obvious choice given the motel's rent by the hour history. Also, I wouldn't use the pool. Not once during our stay did I see anyone do any maintenance to it at all. Not a single chemical of any kind was poured in and no testing was done. AND, while we were outside one day, two people off the streets (not even staying at the motel) came into the office and asked if they could use the pool, the office said they didn't care, and I'm not one to judge, but you should have seen this couple. FILTHY LOOKING, that was their bath.
Despite how much of a nightmare everything seemed, our stay was still a lot of fun. We had each other, it was kind of adventurous, and we made quite a few friends there, mostly from West Virginia, who stayed there on senior trip a couple years back. The white male who runs the desk is pretty cool, and nice to talk to. My advice is don't expect much, especially good maid service. Bring a bottle of Clorox Cleanup, Febreeze and possible a flee bomb. Also, don't bring food that might spoil and/or that is not wrapped in plastic or in bottles. An air mattress is most likely a good idea, just to be safe. Bring lots of towels, because towel service didn't appear to be every day there, and their towels were very small and smelled like a burnt dryer. Lastly, bring lots of alcohol! (If you are above the age of 21). It makes your stay anywhere that much more fun! The review sounds bad, but we really did have a good time, got what we paid for, and made some new friends!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jbeatngu
new bern,North carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2009

This place was completely, unthinkably horrid! Me and some of my friends paid for a weekend here on the fourth of July. Unknowing what we had gotten ourselves into because we became completely desperate for a room we paid $400 to stay here (literally the only thing available). Looking at the place from the outside leaves much to be desired but we thought “hey how bad can it be?” We got our keys and found our room was located in the back corner of this place and from the outside you could already smell the funk going on in our room! We opened the door completely floor with how much of a dump this place really was. I’ve never smelled something so gagging in my entire life it smelt of mildew and wet dog. There was visible mildew on the floor walls and bed and the walls were pieced together with all different kinds of paneling, the bathroom was even worse there was no nozzle for the shower was completely disgusting not to mention when we attempted to open the refrigerator the door feel off . Our neighbors said they had fleas all in their room and had air mattresses on top of the bed. . Then we tried to get our money back because there was NO WAY we could stay there. The night manager told us RUDELY no refunds! And then got someone to “CLEAN” our room in which the man fumigated our room in order to cover the smell of mildew. Needless to say we ended up stay the night on our vacation in the vehicle in some parking lot. The next morning we met with another manager and she did agree to give ½ our money back but, not for the previous night. This place really needs to be shut down and standards should be put in place to prevent places as this from being allowed to run. As a previous review stated there’s no way I would even allow my dog to stay in this dump!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank cw91
Ashland
Reviewed 28 June 2009

This was the worst hotel in the world! We got the whole bottom floor of the OK Cottage and stayed there one night and the front desk worker told us the next day he had complaints about bugs from the upstairs so he was going to move us to one of the nicer rooms he had. We stayed there the next night and everything was fine. But in the middle of the next night someone woke up to use the bathroom and when she was going to bed she saw atleast 20 bed bugs and roaches. We went to the front desk and he told us there was nothing he could do about it. So we decided to pack up and leave. Once we got home we realized we left a laptop there. We called the front desk and he found it. When we had someone pick it up it had been trashed. There is nothing we can do about it. Now we are out of the money from one more night and a broken 1200 dollar laptop.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends