“Not so thrilled” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #170 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kentucky
“Not so thrilled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2008

Our room was disgusting. The carpet was so dirty that our feet were black just walking around in the room. We would never consider staying here again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The room (carpet) was VERY dirty!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
new York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

Upon arriving at the Viking we found our room to be
neat and clean. The carpet was a little dingy but
over all it was clean.
The stove and fridge were nice and clean but when we
tried to bake potatoes that evening, we found that our oven
didn’t work and only 1 burner on the stove worked. That
was a disappointment to us. There was a microwave in the room as well and that worked nicely.
The house keeping staff was friendly and gave us
a huge supply of towels and washcloths each day. Our bed
was made and sheets were changed twice and our room
was always vacuumed.
The parking lot was very small and over flow had to park across the street. We were lucky enough to always have a parking spot but I know several other customers were not.
There is no wireless internet access which we failed to find that out until we got there (our own fault) but we were able to go to Friendly's down the street and use theirs for a test that my daughter had to do online for school.
The pool was facing the parking lot which I didn't like.
I was hoping the pool was facing the ocean like most of the hotels on the beach were. The pool was clean but always had
stuff floating in it (ex. bags, paper etc.) We had to request it to be
skimmed on two occasions and as late at 12:00 noon.
The beach was not over crowded in that area so that was a plus. We did find several cockroaches in our room the last night
we were there. I was a little more understanding about it than my daughter was, she flipped out. They just marched a little on
the wall, none got on our bed that I know of.
Our room faced the ocean with a balcony, I was expecting sliding doors to lead to the balcony but found our only opening was our standard sized door that leads there. Being on the 3rd floor we felt it safe to leave it open all night to hear the ocean but were unhappy that windows would not open facing the ocean.
Over all the price was right and it worked for my daughter and me. From the internet pictures the room was a little misleading but like I said, it served its purpose which was to give us a safe clean enviroment while we vacationed at Myrtle Beach.
Would I book again? In a pinch yes but for next years Spring Break I will look for something else in that area.

• Liked — Ocean front
  • Disliked — No ocean view at the pool and no open windows or sliding door to the ocean
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank NYsunseeker

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Richmond
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2007

Our first day we had to have the room sprayed for roaches only because our friends in the room next door had their room sprayed and I thought that was a smart thing to do. Silly me thought that would stop them in their tracks. But no they came thorough the walls and made themselves at home anyway. Call them "Palmetto Bugs" if you like but they are roaches. Any way I woke up at 4:30 am and felt something in my hair. After running my hand over my hair and knocking that darn bug to my husbands side I jumped out and turned the light on just to find at least 2" roach starring back at me. I was in a stand off with that sucker. The roach was just sitting there looking at me. When my husband went to kill the bug it leaped from the bed to the wall in a single bound. Needless to say we after giving all our clothes a good shaking we packed up and left. This is without a doubt the nastiest place I have ever stayed in my 59 years. The towels and wash clothes were like sand paper and the soap and toilet paper were in short supply. If you stay at the Viking you will need to hoard a supply from the maids carts. We had forgot to pack our own personal pillows and had made the decision to buy new pillows when we checked in. However on the up side the sheets appeared to be clean.

I almost forgot we sat outside on the walk and watched 3 rooms being used for what appeared to be prostitution. We had forgot to pack our own pillows and had made the decision to buy new pillows when we checked in. The only good thing I can say is the sheets appeared to be clean but NEVER again will I sleep at the Viking. Thge pictures you see on this web site are nothing like what you get.

Stayed September 2007
michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2007

I have to say that what you see is not what you get. When we arrived at the hotel, a lady came up to us to inform us that there had been 3 break-ins that day. She also told us not to leave any valuables in the room due to housekeeping would help themselves. we checked in and the found out that the viking only has like 10 parking spaces, so you would have to park across the street. We opened our room door expecting to see what the brochure had, but found a runned down, smelly, dirty gross room that hadn't been cleaned very well. we immediately called the front desk and complained. We stayed 1 night there and they let us leave 3 days early. ( we went to the compass cove) The night we were there I found 2 cockroaches that you could have put leashes on and walked them around as pets.

Stayed September 2007
Greensboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2007

We booked this hotel on orbitz, because on their site the reviews are relatively ok, but when we saw the reviews on tripadvisor we were horrified, I tried to call orbitz and change hotels, but we got stuck with the room anyways.

We really went there with knots in our stomach, just praying it wasnt a roach motel like everyone said. We got there, and although dingy looking, it is really a quite charming place, upon opening the door, the beds looked clean, the furniture was new, whew. I flipped the mattresses and opened every nook and cranny. (Being the nice dad I am.) I was surprised to find none, and trust me I looked. I cant vouch for every room, but ours was more than cozy to sleep in for 6 hours a day, we were at the (uncrowded) beach behind the hotel and at the other nicer resorts like the breakers taking advantage of their nicer pools and lazy rivers. Overall I think the place has gotten a really bad rap and I just wanted to say that my experience there was wonderful, it was truly a cost savings to us in the long run.

• Liked — Excellent Value.
  • Disliked — Amenities, No WiFi.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank digitalonellc
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2007

When we arrived, we checked in the front office, the office was very clean and neat, so we were expecting our room to look the same. Unfortunatly we were VERY WRONG! Our carpet was BLACK AS COAL! We had to wear socks and shoes at all times, even in the shower. Housekeeping barely cleaned the rooms, and didn't speak English so therefore we could not communicate with them, so instead of the 7 towels and washcloths we needed we only got 4 towels, and 0/2 washclothes per day. We had to go to the front desk every night to ask for more, and they made you sign a paper saying you picked them up, like we would WANT to keep them. Dont worry about falling out of the bed in the dbl bedroom because the full sized fridge will catch you at the bottom of the bed! This may come in handy if you have the midnite munchies or just want to cool down fast. And the parking was very bad, because if there are more than 5 people staying there you have to park across the street. And CAUTION!!!!! Do not turn the hot water side on in the shower it will just come on by itself and scawled you!!! The elevator always had an OUT OF ORDER sign on it at least twice a day.Take a word of advice, we brought our own cleaning supplies and plastic matress covers, own sheets just in case we needed them from reading the previous reviews, and turns out EVERYONE was right!!! This place is AWFUL!! But to leave you with a positive note, we were right on the beach and the ice cream truck ran every day 3 times a day right in our parking lot! Which you will need to make your stay a little more CHIPPER.
Please take All of this advice you will need it. And dont forget your Lysol and Slippers!

• Liked — on the beach
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Bermen, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2007

Well there is only one thing i can say about this place= Viking motel is the best ever to stay. I have been going to the Viking now for about 10 years and i will keep going until I can't no more. Everyone at the front desk is so very king and the housekeeping is wonderful. I don't understand why everyone is making the comments like they are. I have never seen any of this at the viking motel ever.
Thanks for everything Viking motel!
Shada Peck

• Liked — The Viking Motel, how kind everyone is there makes your trip all the better!
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was so wonderful!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family