“Nice location and we got a great deal.”
Review of Caravelle Tower

We can't find prices for this hotel
Caravelle Tower
Ranked #108 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Rush, Kentucky
“Nice location and we got a great deal.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Caravelle Resort with our best friends and their four children June 23rd through the 27th 2014. We rented a two bedroom condo that was ocean view. Our room was in the Caravelle Tower. While the view from our balcony was from a side view of the ocean, it was still a great view for the morning time to sit and drink coffee. The location was good. We just had to walk across the parking lot and you hit the sand of the beach. The decor was older and outdated but our room was clean. I am very particular about cleanliness (NO BUGS) and was satisfied that our room checked out ok and happ to report that there were no bugs. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything you would need to cook with, which was a surprise to me and our friends. We had stayed places where you barely got anything to work with. The staff was generous and helpful, always straightening up our room everyday and bringing us plenty of towels, wash cloths, and dish towels. The only complaints I have is: don't expect to get a good nights sleep. The beds were springy and very uncomfortable. When my husband and I climbed in the bed we rolled together cause you sank into the mattress. I was so glad to come home to my bed in Kentucky and sleep. The parking lot was very narrow and crowded making it difficult for SUV's like ours were, to park and back out of a parking space. Also, when checking in be prepared to wait a long time. We stood in line for 45 mins to check in. But they were generous and helpful at the front desk. Overall we would stay here again. Maybe next time trying for Ocean front. We were satisfied with the pools that the resort has to offer and the amenities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Melissa B

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
WV
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in the Caravelle Towers building, so that is what my review is based on. This was also our first time staying at this property. The room was adequate for our party of five and the overall cleanliness was good. The beds were very comfortable and the person in our party who ended up on the pull out couch said it was also comfortable. We had a really nice view of the ocean from our side balcony, and the small kitchen was perfect for whipping up a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner. They also provided plenty of towels. The kids seemed to enjoy the pool area at both the main building and our building as well. You're also just a few steps from the beach. We did not encounter a lot of noise at night and during the day we could only hear a child in the next room on occasion.

As for the staff, Tim at check-in and Matt at checkout were very friendly and polite. I also had to call down for towels, and the lady I spoke with was very cordial and had housekeeping at our door within 15 minutes. There was a man doing maintenance and/or cleaning at our building every day (sorry I didn't get his name) and he was very friendly. I enjoyed talking with him. If you are going to visit any area attractions check with the front desk first to see if they offer discount tickets. We decided to go to Wonderworks on a rainy day. They not only saved us about $10 on tickets, but we also got to go straight inside and avoid the line of people standing out in the rain to buy tickets.

Now for the not so good. The door to our room was a pain to open. You literally had to throw your weight against it and it was extremely loud when being opened. I can only assume this is from continued exposure to the salt water in the air. As soon as you open the door and step in you are on a vinyl tile floor, and if your feet are wet it is slippery. We ended up lying a towel down to step onto when we came back in from the pool or beach. The covered walkways flood when it rains (we were there during Hurricane Arthur). It was about an inch deep and came within a foot of being in our door. There were a few burnt out light bulbs and the top sheet on one of the beds had a greasy looking spot on it. You could tell the sheet was clean, but whatever had been spilled on it left a greasy spot. The A/C unit in the bedroom area also put out an awful musty odor. We ended up buying some air fresheners to help mask the odor enough so that we could tolerate sleeping in the room. If you want your room cleaned be sure to put out the "need service" tag (it's on the back of the do not disturb sign). If you don't put it out they will skip your room. I learned that the hard way. I can say they are really good about honoring the "do not disturb sign" if you have it out.

Finally, be sure to check the plates, silverware, etc that's on hand with what they show on the list that's taped inside the cabinet door. We discovered many things from the list were missing and pointed it out when we left so we couldn't be blamed for the loss. Also, the pots and pans looked like they had seen better days. We ended up just buying paper and plastic products to use anyway so we didn't have to fool with dishes.

Overall, I would say this property is a good place for families. If you're looking for something that's on par with a Ritz Carlton look elsewhere, but if you are OK with something along the lines of a Comfort Inn then you'll be at home here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The room was less than expected for the price. Has the old motel style comforters- which is less than desirable. We stayed in the Caravelle Towers and it was ok. Housekeeping did not come around unless you requested during our stay. We were there from Sunday to Wednesday and they came in and vacuumed 1 time and that was because we requested it. Our beds were not made at all and we only received towels when we requested them, which was daily. Other than this, the resort was great. The kids activities & Magic Al were awesome and the customer service of everyone we encountered was great! The pool was fun and the location is great! Parking was easy to find each day.

Room Tip: Do not stay at Caravelle Towers building
Green Features: The housekeeping is non existent during your stay unless you ask for it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angie C
Kershaw, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Caravelle Tower until we left. I accidentally left my IPad charger at the hotel. On the next day when I discovered I had left it, I called the front desk. He said he would find out about it from house cleaning and call back tomorrow. He never called back the next day. So I called later that afternoon and asked for house cleaning. They said the supervisor is not in, you will have to call back tomorrow. So, the next day I called and the supervisor still wasn't in. Then I called and asked to speak to the general manager and was directed to his/her assistant. I left a message on her voicemail and was never called back. So, I was never even told if it had been retrieved or not and never notified. This is obviously not the way to treat your customers. This is too bad considering I had planned on making this a regular place to stay when I visit Myrtle Beach which is pretty often.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed 15 June 2014

booked last minute, suite of 2queens n a efficient kitchen, id say i paid way too much. front desk courtesy was great, housekeepers a little loud and ghetto (argued about a missing $300 king bedspread INSIDE our room while they searched for it, AND WE WERE SLEEP!) overall i just say i didnt get my moneys worth.. gr8 pools dependin on which building your staying in... caravelle tower (where we stayed! could used a little loving in updating)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank mommaof
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Our room in Caravelle Tower (Rm 530) was horrible. Air conditioner was so loud we couldn't sleep, but too hot when we turned it off. Sofa was disgustingly dirty so covered it with the cheap blanket with hole in it. Towels felt like sandpaper. Slamming of doors early in morning by maid service woke us up after no sleep. Bed uncomfortable and woke up with bites all over me. A tiny sliver of "ocean view". I think St. Clement Tower was seemed like it was nicer and actually had nice beach views. However, whole place was dated and dirty.

Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed this week 5/23-5/30. We we were in the Caravelle Towers. This was my first time I stayed here. The hotel is in great location and the room was nice. I go to Myrtle Beach every year and this was the first time where I was able to park at the hotel I was staying and got housekeeping everyday and at a decent time. You have access to all of the amenities of all the Caravelle Resort buildings. Game room, 10 pools, gift shop, bar and grill, restaurant, cafe'. Some minor issues: bathroom is outdated, beds are uncomfortable, there was no overhead light in the kitchen area, so we had to turn on the hall lights and bathroom lights to see, the some detector is too close to the oven and would go off everytime you opened the oven door no matter if you burned something or not, the building is not very insulated, you could hear everything going on outside. I have stayed in the middle of the main strip before near the skywheel and never heard noises coming from outside. I would stay here again and the price to stay is very reasonable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family