“Sleazy or Dumpy, take your pick...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #21 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Syracuse, NY
“Sleazy or Dumpy, take your pick...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

Drove 13 hours with our 2 kids and checked in. Attendant matter-of-factly gave a run down of the place, marking up all the corrections on the hotel map due to all the construction. At the end of the check out, I was informed of a fully refundable $50 "deposit" for any subsequent room charges. I paid in cash, intending to use the deposit for our return trip upon check-out, since it was fully refundable.

No hotel carts were available to get my bags from the lot to the 6th floor. No big deal. I attempted to get help from the concierge, but was never even acknowledged as he literally conducted a sermon to another couple. No big deal. After an S.O.S. to the front desk, many minutes later one arrived as I was still waiting for the elevator, bags in hand, with 4 other families. A cart was delivered 20 minutes or so later, only to be taken from my wife by another frustrated traveler. Nearly an hour later, with absolutely no help from any staff, we arrived in our side view efficiency. But we were in.

The latch on our door needed some serious WD40, as it would not shut withour either manually holding the latch while pushing the door shut, or just rearing back and slamming it. Apparently, every door in the hotel had the same problem, because doors were slamming shut all night long.

I got up early to watch the sunrise and walk the beach. Went to the free continental breakfast, which I found out is not free anymore. Advertised on the site when we made our reservations, but no longer. Paid my 2 bucks, we'll go out to eat for 7 days, no big deal.

A woman had all her money stolen from her purse by a maintenance worker who was fixing something in her room for 15 minutes, while she was in the room. Should have used the safe, management said, not their responsibility. We used the safe after that.

Power went out sporadically and repeatedly due to construction. Fire alert system tested throughout the building in early afternoon.

Our cleaning lady the first three nights did nothing. Made our beds, replaced toiletries. Thats it. After the third night, she told a sad tale about guests complaining and confronted every guest in hallways, repeatedly knocking on doors. If she was told they weren't the complainers, she informed them that this was their last opportunity to tip her. Panhandling in a housekeepers uniform. Nice...

3 elevators, one never once worked, one worked most of the time, and their was one "good" one. I went for ice at the only ice machine on the first floor, which wasn't working, got on the "good" elevator, and was jerked to a stop somewhere around the 4th floor. The look on the two little kids faces with their dad was enough for me. We sounded the alarm, and it went right by the 6th floor all the way to the 15th, where I promptly got off. I took the stairs - the top 6 floors in complete darkness since all the lights were out - down to the 6th floor.

I spoke with management, who reimbursed our last night there. We checked out the next morning, and there was no record of the $50 cash deposit I paid, never was put on the receipt. So the night attendant put it in his pocket I guess, but they would NOT refund the $50. UNBELIEVABLE.

I felt like I was in the worst section of town with this crowd working here, and the lack of basic maintenance on the hotel

If you go, don't say you weren't warned.

• Liked — Room design, nice layout.
  • Disliked — Horrible service preying on one time travelers. Unreal that this place can stay in business.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

We were invited down to Myrtle Beach to view a 90 minute time share and was sent to this resort to stay. This place was dirty and filthy. It smelled like urine in the hallways, I stayed in the standard ocean view room and the rooms were dusty and small being that we had 2 adults and 2 kids with us. The floors looked like it hadn't been swept in years. The stove and fridge looked liked it hadn't been cleaned or wiped down. The counter where the microwave was sitting was dusty. The plates and glasses looked like they hadn't been washed since they were put into the rooms. All I can say that it was horrible and I wouldn't advise anyone to go there. Stay away!!! They say it's been renovated but if it has, I hate to see what it looked liked before.

• Liked — Center of attractions
  • Disliked — The cleaniness
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)