“Expected more”

Holiday Inn at the Pavilion
Ranked #15 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is an older hotel and does not have the basic amenities a hotel should have. However, the staff was very friendly to us. It was very noisey at night. There was not much to the breakfast buffet, there should be more. The location is nice as it right on the boardwalk and very close to Pier 14 (which I highly recommend). Parking was in three different areas and in walking distance. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel is in the perfect spot if you want to be close to all the action. The noise wasn't bad either for such a hot spot. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating. Whoever the lady was that runs the continental breakfast area was great! She kept everything running smooth and was steady cleaning everything. The room was decent. For the price we paid I expected a little nicer but it wasn't bad at all. It was clean and I would stay again with my family. 6 of us stayed in the suite and it was plenty of room. The bathroom is extremely small. I was a little disappointed that while we were there some random man came to our door to spray the room for bugs. I'm glad they are proactive but I didn't want to be in there after he just sprayed so it was a good thing that we were leaving right when he was done. Perfect location, decent hotel, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure to stay in the bigger hotel, the smaller one didn't look so clean.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jodi P

First - a caveat.

THIS IS NOT A HOLIDAY INN chain hotel. Not sure how I got fooled into believing this, but its not part of the brand. Indeed, I am not sure how they get away with calling themselves a Holiday Inn. So, if you have expectations of Holiday Inn consistency, you're not going to get it (or maybe, on second thought, you are...).

The hotel looks great from the photos,but I found the property to be quite average. For $200 a night, I was expecting better.

Granted, the location is very good - one block from some of the main amusement attractions and three blocks from the "pavilion", and right on the beach, but thats about all that is overwhelmingly positive.

We were assigned a room in the "annex" building which was a little offputting to me. The room listed as its amenities a kitchen and that the room was refurbished. The room may have been, but didn't really feel it. The kitchen was VERY small with a mini-stove (four burner), a wet-bar style sink and a microwave for heating items. Cooking utensils, pots, pans and the like were limited. The refrigerator worked well enough and that was the biggest appliance. The bathtub barely drained at all and had to be "pumped" to get water actioning down the drain. Interestingly, the sinks had VERY hot water all the time, while the shower seemed tepid most of the time.

The corridors had a musty smell and have clearly seen better days. The "annex" building has NO elevator, so if you have a party member with severe mobility issues, you will have serious problems - even on the first floor.

There are three pools including the now ubiquitous "lazy river" that you see at many hotels. Its more like a lazy stream, but the kids liked it enough.

Breakfast which is listed as "continental" was a let down. The same Sysco food service donuts, pastry, and bagels every day. Three choices of cereal (mostly kids type cereal). Fruit consisted of either whole apples or what was clearly canned fruit cocktail that was placed into a large bowl and laid out on the counter.

The breakfast attendant made sure to keep the offering displays stocked, but the the overall presentation was lacking. The breakfast area is also quite small and it is PACKED to capacity during medium to peak hours.

The staff in general was friendly enough to us - both front desk and the breakfast staff. Housekeeping was hardworking and willing to please. We did not try out the abilities of the tiki bar staff who had a constant stream of patrons.

A lot has been said of parking: we usually had NO problems with parking and, indeed, got a spot right in front of the hotel on 2 of our nights. Only once did we have to park at the far lot which, while literally three blocks away, is a very short three blocks and not more than 100 yards from the hotel. I do have to agree that a lot of boardwalk and amusement goers attempted to park in the hotel lot, and I did not see much effort to shoo them away or to enforce parking.

The stay was decent, but I cannot say that I would be sure to return.

1  Thank itrade
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed Oceanfront on the 9th floor and it was great! Room was very clean and had everything we needed. This was our first trip to Myrtle Beach and after arriving I was a little worried it would be too noisy since it was right in the midst of all the activities but it was very quiet. Excellent location. You can walk to all the stuff going on in the area. Continental breakfast was great. We even wanted to extend our stay and staff was very helpful in getting us another room to stay. That room was also very nice and very clean. The pools and hot tub were also very nice. I have no complaints about my 5 night stay and will DEFINITELY stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are probably quieter since lower ones are directly over the pools. We were on the 9th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank golden1212
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Out stay at the holiday inn at the pavilion was pretty good. You CANNOT beat the location, we were in walking distance to everything it was great.

The rooms were okay they were pretty clean and had everything that we needed... Nothing fancy but it worked well.

Our experience at the front desk could have been better. I will say Wilma was great we didn't check in until 1:30 am and she was bubbly and quick about checking us in. We went down a few days later to the desk to ask about bus service. No one seemed to know anything about the bus so they told us to talk to their concierge. Long story short they tried to push a time share on us. That was a HUGE turn off.

Parking was another concern. Their main parking lot was very small and did not accommodate many cars. They had several other lots a few streets back, but, it was hard to find a spot there too. I would say try not to move your car if you stay here.

The view from our ocean front room was amazing.

Overall the hotel was ok it's your typical beach hotel. You can't beat the location. I'm not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We just got back from this hotel in Myrtle Beach and I can't figure out how everyone else had such a great experience. We thought this hotel was horrible. The people at the desk were not friendly at all. When we were finally allowed into the room - not a second before check in time, a repair man came in with us to fix something not working in the bathroom. 10 minutes later an exterminator comes knocking to spray the room for bugs. 10 more minutes later the maid is back asking for a mug she left in the room. The room itself was way overpriced. The air conditioner did not keep the room cool. The sheets and towels were the worst I have ever had to use! We were so unhappy we checked out the very next day!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I arrived at 12 after an early flight to Myrtle Beach. We were exhausted. We were told that our check in was not until 3:30, however, feel free to check back. I knew we were early, so we left our bags and went to lunch. I came back after 1 and was told that the room was being cleaned, it shouldn't be long. Great because it was 95 degrees out and we were tired and hot. Wanted to change. We sat in the lobby for 45 minutes, I went to check again, was told the same thing by another person, the room is being cleaned right now, shouldn't be long. I said, I was told that 45 minutes ago. The manager called housekeeping. I was told that the housekeeping manager would check and call back. 45 minutes passed, and I checked again. Oh, its ready, 2:45,. I sat am hour and 45 minutes in the lobby waiting. Get the room, maid is in the room still.

I had an oceanview room. What a joke. I had to get on the balcony and lean all the way out to see the ocean. Still, tired and hot, I wasn't going to complain about that. The room was old and run down. It was clean. However, definitely not worth money I paid. I have stayed in a lot of resorts, this one was one the worst. We changed and went out. Locked up our valuables in the safe, thank goodness. When I returned at 11 and was ready for bed, I checked the slider, it wouldn't lock, or stay locked. We were on the second floor. I was not going to bed with the slider unlocked in such a busy areas full of summer partiers. My son took a chair and jammed the door shut, and locked.

Checkout is 11, eventhough check in is 3:30. I asked for a later check out and was told I could stay til 12. We went to the beach for awhile. I returned to my room at 10:45 to get something, couldn't get in the room. Keys wouldn't work. I went to the desk, which was in a different building. Got new keys. Went back, still didn't work. The maid let me in.
Went back to the desk, the girl looked puzzled. I told her I had extended checkout, still it wasn't even 11 yet. Another girl heard me, the same one who extended my checkout earlier, she said, oh the keys shut off at 11 anyway. You have to make completely new ones, not just copy the old ones. Now, don't you think she would have said that when I first extended my checkout.?

Garbage cans in the hallway were not being emptied, at least I think that was the smell outside my room. It smelled like a dead animal in the hallway. Also, my son said it smelled like urine in the hallways. We held our breath when walking through. At least the separate low rise motel section smelled that way. the main hotel seemed cleaner. Also, the knob in the shower, was filled with mildew. It was supposed to be a clear knob but was black.

Also, don't be fooled by the name, this is not part of the Holiday Inn Chain. Its privately owned.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the low rise section, separate building from the main hotel, and don't pay for...