“Great Hotel”

Ranked #49 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great location,Nice lobby ,friendly staff,many Attractions,walking distance to the beach,many restaurants close by,the only bad thing they let you pay for the parking,definitely will be back with the first chance...

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kenan G
Juli P, Director of Revenue Management at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello kenan G. Thank you so much for your great review. We are happy to hear you plan on coming back to stay with us. We are happy you were able to enjoy some of the many attractions Myrtle Beach has to offer. Have a wonderful week.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed for a night at this property after naming our own price on priceline. It was a nice 3 star property close to the beach and everything else we had planned.
The bed was a bit too soft for our liking.
The hotel bar was lively for a Thursday night, which was fun for a nightcap.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon tchavis1107. Thank you for review. We are happy to hear you were able to book your room at a great price. All of our rooms do have the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed, this is a standard at all Sheraton properties. We do hope you will be staying with us again soon. Have a great day.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This was our third stay at this Sheraton location and I have to say that each time I am disappointed.

When we pulled up the man at the desk was very friendly. He has checked us in each time we have stayed there and he was very pleased that we recognized him. I'm guessing he always works the late night shift because we always seem to arrive at this time.

I noticed when he tried to activate our room keys for our room that he had to rub each key on his sleeve to try and activate them, this to me shows that there is a known error with the keys. Ultimately, after waiting for him to try an entire pile of cards he was only able to get one card out of maybe twenty to activate correctly. Normally the standard is one card for each person staying in the room. It wasn't his fault but it was still inconvenient.

We were very pleased with the location of this room over the one during our last stay, it was on the ninth floor and far away from the elevators/ ice machines. As other reviewers have mentioned there were stains on the carpet, but it wasn't off putting to me as there was no leftover residue on the carpets.

The unpacking began and I went to put something of ours into the fridge only to find a crusty coca-cola can in there from a previous guest. I called down to the desk and they apologized, but said, "just throw it out". I found this to be kind of gross because well- it's someone else's garbage and should have been removed before we got there.

That aside, I was very tired and went to get into bed. I pulled back the sheets and found...You guessed it....Nasty black hairs from places unknown. I had my husband call down and the woman at the desk explained that "there was no housekeeping around at this time, but we will send someone up with sheets".

When they said they would send someone up I pictured the person remaking the bed for us, or at the very least taking the sheets with hairs on them.

The man simply knocked on the door and handed the new sheets over, then walked away. So my husband remade the bed for me- an extra ten minute wait time before being able to get to sleep- and threw the dirty sheets on the floor.

After that we didn't have any other cleanliness issues but I will say that we tipped the maid very well and didn't even receive enough towels for my husband and I. The complimentary items such as the breathe right strips and the tresemme hair care products were not replaced after we had used them. The maid also did something I have never seen done in a 4 star hotel before...She left the old bar of soap in the dish for us to reuse. It left me wondering if there were some bizarre budgetary restrictions that I was unaware of.

The shower itself is very narrow and sterile looking. For all the money that they threw into the marble counter-tops you would expect the tub to be at least half a foot deep...no luck here. Minnows would suffocate from a lack of water in this bathtub. There was one plus to the shower which was the great water pressure.

Other people have said that the beds are too soft and I agree. It is like being folded tightly with your loved one into a crepe. The mattress left my back feeling unreasonably sore the next day, and forced my husband and I to roll towards each other in the middle of the night. I should mention that my allergies did not appreciate the lack of a down-free pillow. My husband complained that the pillows were equally 'swallowing' and none of the pillows in the room were firm.

The location of this Sheraton is good but not great- there is a shady neighborhood a block away. Broadway at the beach is a 5 minute drive. The beach is the same distance. Yes, Sheraton does charge [price gouge] for parking in a relatively untouristy area.

The indoor pool is a joke as I mentioned in my previous review. At 3 feet deep and 2 feet full it is more a puddle than a place for my husband [6'5] and I [5'11] to swim.

The restaurant Vidalia's is always empty yet large enough to house school buses full of people- making for an awkward buffet-style breakfast as 5 waitresses stare you down and chat quietly. The food for the buffet is not kept hot. There is no permanent buffet-style set up to house these hot foods so they are left in metal serving trays to fester. Other than the buffet, everything at the restaurant is over-priced and under flavored.

Overall, this location has impressed me none of the times I have stayed here. It is no wonder that they are constantly discounting their rooms on travel sites. Even in summer they can not keep them filled due to poor cleanliness and overall lackluster amenities. There are definitely people who will like Sheraton- those seeking a room to house their things while they 'tourist' about town.

If sleep quality, amenities, and cleanliness do not matter to you- you will enjoy staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Traveler21f
Juli P, Director of Revenue at Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Good afternoon Traveler21f, thank you so much for taking time to write us a review & expressing your opinion. We value your feedback & have sent your review to every manager here at the hotel to read & share with their teams. We hate that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Thanks again & have a great day, Juli Pray
Jacksonville, NC
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived and my husband checked in; they asked my husband if he already was checked in and he said. I. They asked if his 'roommate' was checked in and he said no my wife is with me and I hadn't checked in either. The room we were supposed to get was occupied so we were moved to another room. The room my husband, daughter and I are staying in here isn't clean at all. There's a huge stain on the rug next to the window, the curtains are covered in stains of either chocolate and blood and I'm scared to know what it really is, the walls in the bathroom where the light is are dusty to the point of me thinking it was mold at quick glance. There are random dark stains all over the carpet and I'm not comfortable letting my daughter play on the floor. Not to mention the parking is terrible; the garage isn't connected to the hotel and making trips to and from is quite a hassle with a child and several bags for $8 a night (which isn't bad for a big tourist area, but I personally find charging for parking while already charging to stay in a room is a ripoff). Speaking of charging, there's a charge for breakfast. Yes, you read that right; a bowl cereal with whole milk alone is $4! You could buy a gallon of milk or a box of cereal for less than that! A muffin alone is $2.50. Overall ridiculous pricing for something you can get at IHOP or Dunkin Donuts for less and probably fill up more with. I haven't dealt with any staff so I don't know how their attitudes are. I'm not a fan and hoping next time we're in the area we don't have to stay here; the only reason we are is because of something my husband has to attend here.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Dannabelle
Good afternoon Dannabelle, thank you for taking time to write us a review & sharing your opinion. We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay. In reading your review, it appears you may be best suited for a 2 star hotel that includes breakfast in their room rate as most 4 star hotels do not offer this. We have sent your comments to all the managers here so that they can share your story with all team members so we can get the issues addressed. Thanks again & have a great day. Juli Pray
Tunnel Hill, Georgia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is an excellent choice that is close to, although not right on, the beach. The front desk personnel were friendly and accommodating; couldn't ask for a better check-in experience. The room was nice, although there was some wear around the edges, but nothing that would prevent me from staying there again. There are lots of restaurants close by and a nice restaurant/lounge in the hotel. The Convention Center was very nice and a good place if you have a conference, party, etc. The business center is conveniently located with enough computers that you don't have to wait, or at least I didn't, and there are comfortable sitting areas in various places. This is one of those "secure" hotels in which you have to have a room key for the elevator to work....nice if you are traveling alone. Parking was $8.00/night, which is not too bad for a convention center hotel. These people will treat you right.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hi llatimer. Thank you so much for your great review. We are thrilled to hear you had a pleasant check in experience and that our staff was accomodating. We really appreciate this feedback. We are you will be staying with us again in the near future. Have a great holiday.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very nice hotel, very accommodating and good view of the city especially at night with the water in the background!!! Only a couple of walking blocks from the oceanfront and free city shuttle in front of hotel.

Room Tip: Higher is always better. Not sure what side we were on...I think facing east since we were facing t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kim f
Hi kim f. Thank you so much for your great review, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our location. We do hope to see you again soon. Have a great week.
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I am never disappointed by a Sheraton hotel had found this hotel when was going to broadway at the beach love how it was just around the corner from broadway @ the beach was there for only one night but would be back love the indoor pool and the sun porch and liked the fitness center. Did not wake up to try the breakfast and wish would have known about breakfast in bed because I would have tried it. The only problem I had was the stairwell was awfully narrow and could only go to 2nd floor. But other than that nice hotel. Also if you like vintage video games they have in the room where you can order Nintendo 64 games in the room which I thought was cool

• Stayed October 2013
Good Afternoon Kimrausch1. Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope when you return you are able to enjoy all of the areas our hotel has to offer. Have a great holiday!