“Great stay at the beach”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Whitsett, North Carolina
“Great stay at the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I chose to not post pictures of this hotel as all the pictures of my "room" are accurate. We stayed in their one bedroom "cottage" behind the main building. Nice decor, clean room. The bathroom had a few areas of "water damage" in corners...this is typical of hotel rooms at the beach (even your most expensive rooms have some level of "water damage" in baths)

Here are my concerns and why I did not give a 5 star review...the kitchen could use some upgrading. When we rent a room/condo with a full kitchen, we expect to be able to use the kitchen. There were only 2 mugs and a handful of glasses for use. Bowls and plates were plentiful but only a couple of cooking implements (pots/pans). Not *nearly* enough to prepare a meal in the cottage. It would not cost the hotel much to invest in a few more pots and pans and a baking sheet or two. Also, some cooking utensils (spoons, spatula, etc.) would be nice.

Another concern is the size of this unit. We are a family of 5 and we **squeezed** into this unit. The bedroom has a nice sized king bed which was very comfortable. The living room has a pull-out couch and we rented an extra roll-away bed (nice touch!...not all hotels at the beach have roll-aways available!) The mattress on the couch and roll-away are nice and thick and comfortable...not like some other pull-out couches we've encountered... However, putting all 3 kids in the living room is cramped. The pull-out couch takes up most of the living room and, once we put the roll-away bed in there, it is impossible to move around the living room. If you keep this in mind and only have the beds out for sleeping, it works ok.

Laundry facilities are scarce at this hotel. Only 2 washers and 2 dryers located in the main building on the 3rd floor. We chose to haul our clothes to a laundromat up the road for our week stay.

The lazy river is small and they only have 5 or 6 tubes for use. Most of the time at least 2 of these were flat. Outdoor pool was decent but small. We didn't use the indoor facilities.

Even though we were in one of their cottages which are technically 1 block from the beach, access to the beach was quick and easy. There is a very quiet street between the cottages and the main building that you must cross and then a pedestrian cross-walk right in front of the hotel. Then you walk through a small parking lot to a beach access point. Very convenient and easier than I expected for being 2 streets away from the beach.

Overall, I would recommend this one-bedroom cottage for a couple or a family with no more than 2 children.

Room Tip: Cottages are nice and away from any noise.
1 Thank 39jenniferg
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for your review. I do appreciate your thoughtful comments and certainly will take your suggestions into account for the future. The primary reason, however, that you felt that the one-bedroom cottage was under-equipped was because it was designed with two people in mind. I do wish that you had voiced these concerns to my staff, though; we do have a wide variety of cooking equipment (and certainly additional mugs) that we would have been happy to bring to you upon request.

When you booked your reservation, we informed you that the room would be tight for your party. Although they were not available at the time of your booking, we do have units that would have been more comfortable for a group your size- one of our three-bedroom cottages, for example. In the future, please feel free to contact us about the other options we have available. Also, several of the units (including the one that you moved into halfway through your stay) are equipped with private washing machines and dryers.

Thank you again for your review. I'm glad to hear that, despite the inconvenience of the size of your unit, you had a pleasant stay with us. We'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Last month was our second stay at the MB Best Western. We stayed in the ocean front building and loved it. Had everything we needed and was extremely clean. The building was so peaceful and I could set on the balcony and feel like I was setting right on the beach. Being this close to the ocean is amazing when you have kids. You dont have to plan anything just grab the kids and hop on the elevator down to the sand. I used both the indoor and outdoor pools and both were fine. I think some of the reviews are unfair because you cant compare the MBBW to a resort. Its not a resort. Some of us dont do resorts so to speak. The people here are super friendly (Eve) and I've stayed in both buildings and they were both beyond what I expected. The beds were sooooooooo comfortable. As far as pricing goes I havent done much comparison but I feel like we get our moneys worth and my family is comfortable so we will continue to go back. Cant wait til next year....

Room Tip: Call and actually speak to someone to get a better deal.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel was nice and clean. They allowed to view the room before I paid my money. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The hotel was updated. Flat screen tv as well as DVD player. The pools were clean and fresh. Breakfast was included.

• Stayed August 2013
Pauline, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Great experience with the whole team: from all the help Eve gave suring my online registration to the FASTEST (and easiest) checkout I have ever experienced! Everyone was friendly, the breakfast was very good, the room was great, the beach is right across the street and the pools - all 3 of them - were in great shape. For all 4 of us to agree that it was a great time, this place had to be great! NOTE - if you're going to use the hide-a-bed, the mattress we had was terrible (isn't everyones?) so ask for extra comforters and blankets to stack on top to make it softer.

1 Thank Jeff R
hopewell jct, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel is over priced and dirty. The hotels near by post ads for $49 a night and look it. The outdoor pool is in the parking lot across the street and the indoor pool is murky. There is not even an ice machine if you stay on the ocean front side. With all the nice hotels on this street, I'm surprised Best Western can stay in business.

3 Thank Mary Jane C
I should first say that I am deeply sorry to hear that you anything other than an exceptional stay at my property. We do take guests comments seriously and strive to better ourselves when we receive suggestions. For the benefit of future guests, however, I do want to make a few notes in response to your review.

My staff thoroughly cleans all of our pools, hot tubs, and the lazy river every night. In addition, if we notice any debris in the water, we take care of it immediately. Any murkiness, therefore, that you experienced in the indoor pool is the direct result of guests entering the pool covered in sand that same day. I am sorry that we are not able to prevent this from occurring, but please rest assured that we do take extensive measures to keep the pools clean.

Also, there is no ice machine in our oceanfront building because every room in that building includes an efficiency kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, complete with an ice machine in the freezer. I wish you would have contacted my front desk staff with these concerns: they would have been happy to inform you of the ice machine in your room.

Again, please accept my apologies for any way in which we could have bettered your experience. My property is ranked so highly on TripAdvisor because my staff and I are constantly striving to provide guests with exceptional customer service, cleans rooms, and high-quality amenities. Please consider giving us another try; we would love another chance to serve you.
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed in an oceanfront room which is across the street from the main building. The room has a full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave & apartment sized stove. The beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept on in a hotel. The view was amazing from the balcony which has two rocking chairs. Very quiet in the room at night. Excellent hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
Charlotte, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Overall, had great visibility and access to the ocean. The amenities were just OK. The outdoor pool was very small. The parking for the oceanfront rooms was a little like musical chairs. Breakfast was hectic due to limited seating for the number of guests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your view and our beach access. I would like to take this opportunity, however, to apologize for any way in which we were anything other than exceptional. We do take guest comments seriously and strive to be better than just "okay"! I hope that you'll give us another chance to make a lasting impression.