“Great stay with family! Would stay again.” 5 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
familytrip23
“Great stay with family! Would stay again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

We stayed at the Best Western Grand Strand over Thanksgiving weekend with several family members. We didn't pick the hotel, we just stayed where the rest of the family was staying. We were very happy with their choice!

Our room was very clean! We had a nice kitchen area and our beds were as comfortable as home!!!! The pillows were super nice...no doubling up needed. The shower was very hot and had good water pressure. We had a light bulb burn out and someone came to replace it immediately (with a 'Green' bulb!). All of the staff we encountered were very nice and went out of their way for us.

We had an oceanfront view and saw dolphins more than once. We had such a great time just hanging out in the hotel and relaxing. My husband and the kids used the indoor pool frequently. We also were very close to great shopping (Market Common and others). We found out they have cottages you can stay in too and my family is considering renting these for next Thanksgiving.

We could not have asked for a better weekend and Best Western really impressed me! I can't think of one detail I would have changed.

• Liked — The pillows, large room, view of ocean with rocking chairs
  • Disliked — I honestly can't think of a thing!
1 Thank familytrip23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Turkish first
Boardman, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Best Western Grand Strand Inn in Myrtle Beach, SC. The hotel is awesome and the service was great. It was so awesome that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel to go out and do anything at all. We just wanted to sit on the porch and watch the ocean.
We stayed on the beach front side where we could just sit and enjoy the view.
We were just expecting a few muffins and juice but breakfast is a great continental spread with cereal, waffles, fruit pastries etc.
The pool is perfect, although we had hoped that there was a lazy river like we saw on other hotel signs in the area, it did not matter. Our kids are 6 and 9 and they absolutely loved it. (It was a task in itself just trying to get them out of the pool).
The value of the room was excellent. There were 2 queen beds so the four of us shared. There is a full size fridge and stove with pots, pans, dishes, and silverware in the room, which was wonderful since we were there for a week. We did not break the bank for the beach front view, which is what I was scared of.
Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in and I am an extremely picky person! Very convenient to get to restaurants, Ripley's museum(which the kids loved), Broadway at the Beach, and about anything else that you can think of. I would definitley recommend this hotel to anyone headed to Myrtle Beach looking for a beach front room.

• Liked — The view of the beach
  • Disliked — Just that you had to walk across the street to get breakfast because there were 2 separate hotels.
1 Thank Misstrishers
Ocean City, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

For the price, this hotel was excellent. Nice location, clean rooms, friendly staff and a decent free breakfast. For a quick stop over it was great. Not sure if I would book a week's vacation there, but would return for a night or two.

Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2008

We booked this room completely from the reviews on this website and they were accurate for the most part. The staff was very helpful and friendly when checking in and when enjoying the breakfast in the morning. The room was clean, but had a musty odor to it. The toilet ran about ever three seconds, which was very annoying. The pool area was very nice and clean.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank iowa_state_fan1
Eustis, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

It's the end of Bikers Week (the first week of October) and while the noise of Harleys fill Ocean Blvd. The Manager gave us a room in the rear of the hotel on the third floor--quiet so far.

The Great Western has good parking but separate buildings, so you may want to ask where the parking is exactly.

The desk is open 24/7. There is the usual coffee and tea in the room but you can check out the coffee in the lobby. The Shower in the room was the best -- lots of hot water, and a good flow of water--not water conserving devices on this one.

Soaps and shampoos in then rooms are at the low end of these amenities but the towels were first rate. There are no bottle openers in the room we were in. The rooms have new outdoor chairs outside of the room, which make for nice viewing for watching the people go by or enjoy the great Carolina weather.

Check out the pool and hot tub. While out in the front of the hotel like most hotels built in the 1950s and 60s, it is in great shape and well maintained.

Eating was a problem for us. After hours driving, after checking, we did NOT want to get in the car. Angelo's Steak House on 21 Ave N. was the closest. The steaks were excellent, and there was an Italian Buffet. The Buffet was complete with three types of Pizza, Green Beans, Spaghetti, Italian Sausage, Meatballs, Chicken, Tortellini in Alfredo Sauce. All of the buffet was tasty and hot but while with a great tomato taste, they lacked a true sense of Italian seasoning. The steak was a 10 oz. ribeye- medium. Served on a hot platter, it was still sizzling. They don't offer a steak sauce-- there is no need for it--the steak was excellent.

There are few other eating choices within walking distance.

• Liked — THEY TRY HARD
  • Disliked — SO MANY HOTELS ALL TOGETHER
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

This was our 2nd time staying at the BWGS--the first being 3 years ago. We had a terrific experience the first time and stayed in the oceanfront building and decided to try the other building this time.

The front desk clerks were extremely friendly and accommodating and we met the owner, who was very approachable and friendly as well. While the continental breakfast was standard fare, the servers couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful--and I'm pretty certain they have been there a while because I think they were there when we stayed there previously.

The only change was the addition of bracelets for the pool and breakfast, and while I understand they ask you to wear one so they can be sure you aren't trying to freeload, it was a little disconcerting to be questioned about where your bracelet was when you forgot it (which we did one day). However, they very nicely provided another set instead of making us return to our room to retrieve our bracelets.

We had a minor issue with a delay in getting towels in our room when it was cleaned until I left a nice note explaining that we took early showers and would appreciate the towels being there earlier. That took care of that.

I would have to say the only complaint we had was that the pool was crowded ALL THE TIME and that a lot of parents simply do not believe in making their children obey written pool rules and that the management was not a presence at the pool/lazy river area. I think an occasional visit from a staff person would have curtailed some of the splashing and obnoxious behavior of undisciplined guests.

All in all, we highly recommend the BWGS and would not hesitate to stay here again. Because of the empty lot next to the oceanfront building, we had a beach view from our balcony--and it was beautiful!

• Liked — Layout of the room
  • Disliked — Crowded pool and lazy river
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Kernersville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2008

I picked this place only because I cashed in some of my rewards points from my credit card for a Best Western gift card. Our stay was from Sept 6-9, 2008. We normally stay in North Myrtle, but I was pleasantly surprised with the accommodations at the Grand Strand Inn. I had never stayed at a Best Western and was not sure what to expect. We found the check-in friendly and easy. I had booked an ocean view room on their website, so I figured we would be staying in the section of the hotel that is across the street from the beach. It was great to find out we had an oceanfront room! Looking around in the lobby, hallways, room, etc. I couldn't help but notice how CLEAN everything was. Everything was just spotless, even in the elevator, and usually at the beach at a lot of places, the elevators stay wet and musty. Not here! The room was nice and had a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator, a microwave and a stove. I only checked out the continental breakfast once, but it was nice with muffins, danishes, waffles, the usual fare and good HOT coffee.
One thing I would like to point out is the indoor pool is on the beach side, and the outdoor pool and lazy river was on the other side of the street. I wish that had been reversed, because it is nice to have a pool right by the ocean, but no big deal. I guess the only complaint I have was the lazy river was not as clean as everything else. The pool was immaculate though. Overall, a very pleasant stay, and I will be confident in booking a Best Western again for future travel needs.
I also need to mention that my original travel plans were to be there on Friday Sept 5. With the approach of Tropical Storm Hanna, I called to see if we could bump the reservation 1 day to Saturday. The lady I spoke with was so nice, and said no problem. I asked if there would be an extra charge for changing and she said "Oh no, not a problem or charge at all." How refreshing!!!!

• Liked — very clean!
  • Disliked — would have liked the outside pool on the beach side of the street.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family