“False advertisement and then some.”

Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #191 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I don't even know where to begin. The staff at check in seemed untrained and came across very unprofessional; very bothered to have to do their job. We checked into room 325 and the horror began. Once we opened the door, we had to step over dirty, wet towels, trash, and a used, disposable razor. Oh, and there was a random vacuum cleaner. Once inside, my wife and son wanted to clean up as they had played in the ocean waiting for our room. The toilet bowel had fecal stains all around it. The ceiling in the bathroom was covered...and I mean COVERED in mold; as well as the molding between the bathtub and door. We trotted down to the front desk where I was met with a "what do you want me to do about" attitude. He said there were no rooms available and for us to return the next day to see if he could switch us rooms. This was unacceptable, so I asked if there was a corporate number for me to contact, at which point he asked me to hold on and he walked in the back. He returned with different room keys for a different room. The new room was cleaner, but still moldy in the bathroom and the sheets looked and smelled like they've never been washed. We had no wash clothes and only two towels. There was a broken lightbulb in the floor. Yes, this room had an oven for cooking, but the knobs were so worn you had to guess as to what setting you were placing it on. I went to the front desk on two occasions to request additional towels and wash clothes and I never received any. Upon checkout, a very unprofessional staff member broke out into a monologue of how horrible her life is and how she's just trying to feed her kids when another guest just requested a manager. As a member of the military I have stayed in some pretty dirty and smelly places in the world, but this hotel was not even comparable to military barracks in Iraq. Lastly, you have to compete with visiting non-guests for parking.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Ian S

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Polynesian is definitely not a 5 star hotel and, to be honest, you probably already knew that due to the cost it would be to stay there. My girlfriend and I were going to stay from May 26-31 and it didn't even cost us $350 for an oceanfront room. That was a plus for me and as soon as we were able to inspect our room for the first time, the only things that I saw were wrong were a broken eye on the stove and we had no shower mat. I recorded that the eye of the stove was broken and within hours it was fixed. The service here, repair wise, is great. We had a slight problem with the shower whenever the water kept running and didn't stop whenever we turned the handles all the way to off and the repair man was in our room within minutes fixing the problem. I can honestly say that you won't have an extravagant room with all the bells and whistles but you have what you need to have a good stay at myrtle beach. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap stay with a great view and great location for the beach.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

POLYNESIAN HOTEL, 1001 SOUTH OCEAN BLVD, MYRTLE BCH
We booked 3 rooms. They had dead bugs, candy wrappers under the bed, dirty air conditioners, one room had the smoke detector covered, the bathtub drain was clogged. Asked to have it looked at. They left a large container of drain cleaner on my bathroom sink.
One room didn't have a shower curtain. When housekeeping came up, they put the new curtain on the kitchen sink.....never put it up. the sheets were yellow. The towels had black grease on them. When I showed the front desk, they told me the "bikers used it to clean their bikes". Sorry, but I ride. Those towels were so rough, it would have scratched the bike. And not just one towel, all that came into our rooms along with the wash cloths. Oh and bike week was a month before we got there.............
Everyone I spoke with had just as bad of an experience. One woman had to go out & buy her own cleaning supplies to clean her room. She also had to buy sheets...hers were so stained!
Doesn't the owner take pride in their establishment?????

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank B B
Reviewed 8 July 2014

To anyone considering staying at this hotel, I obviously cant make you believe what I say, because when I decided to stay here for the 2nd year in a row, I decided that half of these reviews were just people being picky or over needy. I just got proven wrong. Each year I've arrived at this hotel, me and my family of 4 have had our small complaints. Dirty sheets, Droppings in the cabinets, Chipped bathtub flooring that would cut you, room smells like musty dirty wet material, hallways with trash piled high, parking garage that smells like dead animal. The list literally goes on and on. Tonight however was the icing on top of the cake. I overlooked those petty things last year and up until now. I've been here only 2 days just so you know. Here is my story. I arrived july 6th at 4 pm, waited in a small, crowded, smelly room for about half an hour to check in. Finished check in and walked down to my 2nd floor room. Opened the door to find dirty stained sheets, rat/mouse/roach droppings in one of the cabinets that the cleaners were obviously too short to see, a broken sliding door out to my ocean front balcony that had random bolts placed to keep it shut. One pillow the size and width of a piece of paper for each of my family of 4 (which is nowhere near acceptable; luckily we brought 3 of our own). a 19 inch tv (when last year it was atleast a 27.") The bottom shelves of my fridge was busted and nothing could be sat on top of it. There were chips in our shower with no shower mat so any of us could have fallen in the tub. A dirty used wash cloth hanging from the shower curtain that had been there so long it had dried up and wouldn't let go without force. And to top it all off (leaving out some more small things in between), when I asked for more pillows on the 6th I was told I would have some to my room shortly. Needless to say I never received those pillows, So the morning of the 7th I called and asked for some more, NO PILLOWS. Noon of the 7th, still no pillows. Finally at around 10, 2 of my young female family members went up to the office to ask for 2 pillows, were looked at like they were 3 headed goats, were dished out tons of attitude from a few members of the faculty who thought talking about drama in their own lives and listening to rap music loudly was a great way to run a business. I was called and informed by the family members and they were eventually given their pillows. To keep a long story not as long ill sum it up by saying this, When I went up afterwards to ask about why we were so wrong in asking for pillows, I was given major attitude and aggression. Im just absolutely shocked that this is the way this business is ran, and there is no doubt that not only will I not EVER RETURN HERE AGAIN, I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE ELSE AGAIN. Congratulations Polynesian, You've lost a customer and then some!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Justin F
Reviewed 3 July 2014

You must have been searching for a cheap hotel in the first place before you came here. We stayed last june and no it isn't a luxury hotel, but it isn't bad either. This was by far the most helpful group of people I had ever seen at a motel. No maids stole from our room like they did at Va, beach the year before. Everyone was so nice unlike some places I have been. Maintenance was there earlier every morning cleaning pool and and cleaning grounds. Yes 1st floor carpet is always wet because the pool is there. We usually stay in a higher rated place but we loved this, seriously we did. You get what you pay for and this isn't bad for the price. Steve and Sara H. Roanoke, Va.

Room Tip: The lobby is very busy so don't expect check out to go fast as this place stays full all through...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank shuffsgirl
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Booked through Travelocity before reading reviews, not knowing. Huge mistake! Arrived, saw the place was very iffy, still went ahead & checked in. Walked into the room & said no way! Turned back the bed linens, there were pubic hairs all over the sheets, stains on pillowcases & sheets. You could tell they were not even washed. Bugs were crawling all in the window sills. There was a puddle on the floor where the refrigerator was leaking. I refused to even stay one minute. I went right back down to the office & informed them & they said they could clean it I informed them they couldn't clean this place it needed to be demolished. There was filth everywhere. My daughter was scared to even be around the place. Luckily I was able to file a complaint with Travelocity & received my money back. I would've slept in the car before I would spend one night there. Please please don't waste your time or money! I don't understand how they could even pass inspection! This place should be condemned! There were 4 other families complaining & leaving at the same time I was. One woman had cut her hand wide open while trying to get in her room & they didn't even offer so much as a bandaid! Terrible, horrible, nightmare! This place should be shut down!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Ballardsc
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It was the most disappointing experience of my life. Rooms were dirty, buggy,appliances were rusty, balcony door was dirty, smoje alarm covrred up, WiFi not accessible, parking stunk. Overall NOT what the website leads you to believe.

• Stayed: June 2014