“Not for a Lover's Getaway hotel”

Sandcastle South Beach Resort
Ranked #109 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was our 2nd time at this hotel. We arrived on friday late noonish time and checked in. After checking in, we changed and went grocery shopping. After waking up on saturday morning, We decided to do the ocean scene and pool most of the day. On our way out of the room, I asked the girl, Rashanda, Moniquia Sha-nay-nay or whatever her name was on the sixth floor, which was doing room cleaning for NEW sheets, towels, tissue and to vaccum . Upon arriving back at the room at approx 5:00pm, there was NO clean sheets, towels, or nasal tissues and floors was still dirty. we both looked at each other confused. Again on sunday morning, as we walked out of the room to head to the pool, Sha-nay-nay was next to the elevator door and I AGAIN asked for the same items. Expecting the room to be cleaned i.e, vaccumed, changed sheets, clean towels etc. upon our evening arrival , Ha NOPE!!!! Sha-nay-nay needs to find herself a new JOB. As we headed out to have dinner, we decided to staop at the desk and inform the hotel clerk of our experience. The girl at the desk apoligized and offered a free breakfast for monday morning. We accepted and said It's not your fault but we had asked 2 days in a row and still nothing was done. The clerk handed us clean towels and sheets and again apologized for Sha-nay-nay's inability to do her necessary duties. evidentually this was not in her job description. other than to just "Act" like she was cleaning when guest was present and when no one was looking, hide out in bathroom or in the end of the hall supply closet. After arriving back in the room the evening from dinner, Sha-nay-nay had layed our sheets and pillow cases on the back of the couch..."Bless her heart" ! I foresee a training class for sha-nay-nay on sheets and towels rack. evidentually she was absent on this day this was taught. So if ya stay on the sixth floor be
forewarned. Or bring sheets, towels, tissue, pillow cases, vaccum cleaner, trashbags, shower mat just to name a few items. or just stay at Surfmaster or One Ocean Place in Garden City.. nice place. oh yeah if ya have a sensitive rearend, you may want to bring your "Angel Soft or Charmin" this place uses sand paper. Enjoy your stay... Mawah

Room Tip: Get ya a room at Surfmaster in garden city
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jimbob750
Robert S, General Manager at Sandcastle South Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

I am sorry for the issues with our housekeeper. I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you personally. This is certainly not the way we want things to happen. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Jud Southerland

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I don't write a lot of reviews but I wanted to write this to make members here aware of a few things as I wish I had known before. The hotel/grounds are old and very used but oceanfront in Myrtle Beach that comes with the territory so I was not surprised by the worn feel of the hotel. First the good: the views were great, oceanfront overlooking the Atlantic is always an awesome sight. The air conditioner worked well and I did not see one bug in the room. The cost of the room was very inexpensive. That was the good. The bad: When I returned to my car after checking in, another guest had discarded their water bottle filled with urine and it was resting under my tire. That was a harbinger of things to come. The parking deck had litter all weekend. Empty food boxes, beer cans, fast food bags, cigarette butts. I guess some people just throw their trash on the ground vs use a trash can. There was an extended length q tip with ear wax on the floor outside my room all weekend. The neighbors apparently had plumbing issues. I know this because they left the used plunger with dried toilet tissue and whatever else, laying on the hallway floor outside their room all day/night Saturday. When we left Sunday morning at first light, it was still there. This is a first: One of the guests had a bowel movement in the stairwell. I am serious, you can't make this stuff up. Those are just the big things. The rooms were just grimy and the furniture was all stained and very filthy looking. You would not want to sit on the furniture. Little things like the remote control had crumbs and hairs in between the buttons...if you go here, you want to take a bunch of Clorox wipes or disinfectant and go over the entire room a couple of times when you arrive. Saturday it rained hard and I guess the drain pipe for the roof goes down thru the garage. At one of the joints/couplings on the pipe, it was partially broken so on the bottom floor of the garage flooded with this white bubbly foamy water from the roof (I hope it was from the roof) and formed puddles an inch or two deep. Not good when your loading your vehicle wearing flip flops. There did not appear to be any kind of maintenance or general trash pick up procedures in place. The staff had a break area in the garage where they would sit on plastic chairs and smoke cigarettes. If that was all they gave me for a break room, I would probably not be very motivated to go the extra mile either. Overall, just very dirty, and not a place I would ever bring my family again. The room cost was really cheap, so I certainly understand what that means in terms of clientele, you can hardly hold that against the hotel. But there are some very serious cleanliness/staffing issues going on here. This review is 100% so others will know what they are in for. Had I known what we would encounter we would have stayed elsewhere. You have been warned.

3  Thank dwhitley
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

If you stay and wash clothes watch them very carefully the people across the street will come over and take you clothes...... I love it ...its a nice place to stay ...... I loved the lazy river and pools and in the lazy river it will drag you around it the pool Indoors has a kiddy pool for babys....

3  Thank SSwisher
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We was quoted a different price on thd phone than what we was told when we got there. They could only tell us that it was taxes. They kept the room clean. They was very helpful. The staff was very helpful. Overall good stay for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Our trip to myrtle beach with the kids was pretty good we stayed at the sandcastle hotel.I was a little skeptical because we've never stayed here and it was a last minute decision. I must admit when we got there I was very impressed the lobby was beautiful, the pools,hot tubs awesome!! They even had a 1ft swimming pool which worked out great for our 3 yr old. Now let's get to our room, the room was acceptable the only thing I didn't like was the rust on the frig and bathroom mirrors. We also didn't have a shower curtain but I will say for the price and location it was well worth it.

Room Tip: I don't have any room tips but as I was checking in there was a girl whose jewelry had been stol...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jordynnsmom864
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Intermittent internet needs improving. Great pool and lazy river on site. Offers free DVD rentals daily. Excellent beach front space. Offers poolside tiki bar and grill services at affordable prices. A good family vacation with several other entertainment options nearby!

3  Thank Larry M
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Rooms are a little dated,TV's are old but very clean and safe area. Nice pool and lazy river and hot tubs. A good bar inside adds for a late night cap. We have stayed here a few times before and always enjoy it.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front so a good room is not a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple